In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SKS in NJ?

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
Would a person be able to legally own an SKS in NJ with a 10 round fixed magazine, bayonet and grenade launcher?
spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a copy of the definition of the assault weapon "clarification" issued in 1996.

A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:

A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock;
    a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
    a bayonet mount;
    a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
    a grenade launcher;

Go to the NJ State Police website and type in gun laws, you should get a listing of the statutes.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go with that letter of the law, then yes, because the magazine is fixed.

Spin on it... it can be modified to accept a detachable magazine. This may be what is meant by, "has the ability to accept a detachable magazine", though.

In the region of New Jerky, it is hard to tell, but I smell a law suit, here.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't take my chances in a liberal metropolis. After all, the police might still arrest you, even if the magazine is permanately attached to the gun.

I'm glad I'm in a gun friendly state. As I've said before though, I support anybody's right to own whatever guns they want.