In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Yet another good pro-gun read. I don't know who you are, Scarlet Pumpernickelsandwich, but I like your style.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Am I an eloquent writer or philosopher? I sometimes think I may be, but after the last 8 years of writing and attempting to understand the sheep, now, I finally do. I never asked, because I never reviewed this question. It didn't seem logical to me that people would willingly do this, but now, it makes sense.

Thanks for the link. I will look for more from you.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Sorry..I cannot endorse this entirely.
    quote:Colonel Grossman explains the mental state of sheep:

We know that the sheep live in denial, that is what makes them sheep. They do not want to believe that there is evil in the world. They can accept the fact that fires can happen, which is why they want fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, fire alarms and fire exits throughout their kids' schools.

But many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an armed police officer in their kid's school. Our children are thousands of times more likely to be killed or seriously injured by school violence than fire, but the sheep's only response to the possibility of violence is denial. The idea of someone coming to kill or harm their child is just too hard, and so they chose the path of denial.

Finally, he explains why the "sheep" react so dramatically when exposed to signs of reality:

The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheep dog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours.

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn't tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, "Baa."
    Here we have the criminals..the unarmed sheep..and the police/swat teams/military types.
    No place do I see a reference to armed citizens by the good Colonel Grossman..as such, anyone using him to make a point for the Right to carry is using a Trojan Horse, I think...

We have quite enough "Dano" types running around with badges, thank you very much....
    edited November -1
    Highball:

Sometimes, you have to look at things a little less like they are do-all end-alls, and look at the underlying representation. Do you really think the sheep look at us somewhat different than they do the sheep dog? I don't. But this explains a lot.

Let me interject two more types of creatures into the Colonel's post to see if you find there to be any merit in it.

#4. The shepherd-this is the oe who ultimately cares for the sheep. Why would he just care for the sheep? Simple. Because they have something he wants. Their wool and their meat. In a sense, the shepherd is not much different than the wolf. The biggest difference is that he systematically slaughters or harvests the sheep, so as to not alarm the entire group all at once. The sheep dogs follow the shepherd's orders without question, and should the shepherd find a wolf in his domain, he will more efficiently kill the wolf than would his sheep dogs.

#5. The rattlesnake-this creature cares little for the benefit of the herd, and yet, means it no ill will, but may have to protect himself from the dangers of them. Though he possesses a rattle to scare them off, sometimes, it isn't enough. Wolves fear him, because he has the ability to kill wolves in a very nasty manner. Sheep dogs avoid him because they could meet the same unpleasant fate. Shepherds hate them for the damage they allegedly do to the herd, and the shepherd will kill them on sight for this, but at the same time, the shepherd, himself may fall victim to him if the shepherd stupidly treads on ground he would willingly share, provided he was left alone in it.

Does that fill in the blanks sufficiently for you, highball?
  • KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like it or not, an armed citizen is more of A deterent to crime, than an leo.quote:Originally posted by dano
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Sorry..I cannot endorse this entirely.
    quote:Colonel Grossman explains the mental state of sheep:

We know that the sheep live in denial, that is what makes them sheep. They do not want to believe that there is evil in the world. They can accept the fact that fires can happen, which is why they want fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, fire alarms and fire exits throughout their kids' schools.

But many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an armed police officer in their kid's school. Our children are thousands of times more likely to be killed or seriously injured by school violence than fire, but the sheep's only response to the possibility of violence is denial. The idea of someone coming to kill or harm their child is just too hard, and so they chose the path of denial.

Finally, he explains why the "sheep" react so dramatically when exposed to signs of reality:

The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheep dog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours.

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn't tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, "Baa."
    Here we have the criminals..the unarmed sheep..and the police/swat teams/military types.
    No place do I see a reference to armed citizens by the good Colonel Grossman..as such, anyone using him to make a point for the Right to carry is using a Trojan Horse, I think...

We have quite enough "Dano" types running around with badges, thank you very much....

It's quite obvious....some of you are nuttier than a fruitcake. [:D]

Clowns know where to draw the line. They draw it anywhere they want.....[:o)]
    edited November -1
    quote:It's quite obvious....some of you are nuttier than a fruitcake.

What is obvious? That some LEO's don't deserve a badge, and should trade in their fangs, paint themselves white and go Baaa?
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunphreak, I like your sense of humor. Police as sheeple. [:D]
  • tysonagreentysonagreen Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does that make me a shepherd, rattlesnake, or just a fan of mutton?
    edited November -1
    quote: Does that make me a shepherd, rattlesnake, or just a fan of mutton?

You would know better than us.

If you are just another unaware person, you are a herd animal... a sheep.

If you protect the rest of us, you would be a sheep dog.

If you are the one who preys on the rest of us, like a common criminal, you are a wolf.

If you are the one in high command, instructing the sheepdogs, and ruling over the herd, you are a shepherd.

If you just want left alone, and will strike out at anyone who won't leave you alone, you are a rattlesnake.

But only you would know. None of us do.
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Definitely makes a point, doesn't it???