In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun values can be wiped out! (in a second)

HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
It is sobering to realize that with legislation that curtails or bans ownership of certain or all types of firearms that the money spent and value accumulated in many of our collections could be wiped out by the stroke of a pen.

I don't see this happening anytime soon but I have that sinking feeling of inevitability which I think we all must fight against. Guns and gun ownership is villanized more and more in the media. Participation in the hunting and shooting sports is on the decline. Currently we are on the crest of a great conservative politcal wave but I wonder how long that will last?

For every million gun owners who use their weapons responsibly we are damned by the spomeone who lets one into the wrong hands.

Comments

• codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Despite being on a "great conservative political wave" the end result is the same as both parties are cut from the same anti-gun cloth. Just so happens one is a wolf is sheep's clothing the other is a wolf in wolf's clothing. I'd rather the wolf. I can see him for what he is and remedy the situation. The sheep may be permitted a closer look-close enough to be a real threat.

So I treat them all as wolves and act accordingly.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course, no one takes the time to wonder how a tragic event like a school shooting would have turned out if even one of the teachers or faculty had a gun of their own to diffuse the situation. No, instead, they are inclined to try to take the path of least resistance (and action), and just disallow them, hoping that the bad guys turn over a new leaf.

Hey, sometimes we have to grit our teeth, roll up up our sleeves and * 'er done!!!
    edited November -1
    Oh, and for the record, I don't care what my guns are worth monetarily. The fact that they can defend my life in extreme situations is worth way more to me than what I could sell it for, if I were inclined to do so (and I'm not).
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    If even half of the gun owners in America firmly banded together and pooled our resources and political clout, there would be no worries about losing our gun rights. Yet only a tiny pecentage of gun owners do much of anything to fight for their rights.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hokkmike
    I don't see this happening anytime soon
    Don't get me wrong here, I do NOT mean for this to come across in a derogatory manner, so please don't take it that way.

But if you "don't see this happening anytime soon" you have had your eyes closed. While not across the board, and not all federally, there have been many cases where with "the stroke of a pen" they have ALREADY done their damage.

With one stroke of a pen, firearms were illegal, in Washington DC. Once law abiding citizens, if they kept their firearms, were NOW criminals. More recently, San Francisco, with a stroke of the pen, same scenario with handguns. LEGAL firearm owners will be CRIMINALS. California as a state, what a mess they have made of things, along with some others like NY, NJ, etc.

The stroke of the pen (in "86") enacting the machine gun law, caused prices to go through the roof. With another stroke of the pen, a LEGAL firearm (Streetsweeper) was re-classified. Now anyone who LEGALLY owned one, that didn't happen to keep up with what the BATF was doing, is a CRIMINAL. Oops, what do you do with it? Can't shoot it, might get caught. Certainly can't sell it.

You are absolutely correct in that, with a single stroke of the pen, much MORE could be wiped out.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:Currently we are on the crest of a great conservative politcal wave
    I would laugh about this....if it didn't hurt so bad to even giggle.

Not one gun law rolled back...increased funding for the jack-boots..."GUN JUDGES" FOR GODS SAKES....sounds like Nazi Germany...to me.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:More recently, San Francisco, with a stroke of the pen, same scenario with handguns.

Pickenup, this is even more dire than you describe, for the San Francisco gun ban was not the result of a "stroke of the pen" but rather the casting of ballots. Essentially the citizens themselves have voted in their own reign of oppression.

Our oppressors only have as much power as we give them. Ultimately are we the huddled masses simply masochists?

Ironic that we fought a revolution against monarchal oppression, yet as free citizens we still seem to gravitate toward heredetary leadership (Adams, Kennedys, Bushs, Clintons). Could it be that people actually want to be controlled? Do we take comfort in not having to worry about the burdens of true freedom?

-Wolf
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Wounded Wolf;
    You have thrust a lance into the rotten core of Democracy.
    People wish only a bit more 'freedom' then they had as a child..and are bitterly resentful of mature adults pointing out this sad fact to them.

A Republic has connotations that worry the average masses to death..things like responsibilities, duties to defend themselves, the absolute NECESSITY to rein in these in power..to get RID of the garbage that inevitably slips into the halls of power..putting in REAL PRISONS those transgressing against the soverign citizens of this great land....

We have become a DisneyLand for Dummies.....
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WoundedWolf,
    Agreed, the SHEEPLE did that one to themselves.

The stroke of the pen I refer to on this is, the pen that was used to "write" this travesty in the first place, and the one that will be used to "sign" it into law.

The pen IS mightier than the sword. [V]
    edited November -1
    Well, it may be true that the value of our guns may be wiped out by the act of a single man, but it is also true that that one man's life may also be wiped out by a single pull of a trigger on one of those same guns.

Checkmate!!!