In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help about tx law

mcgarrahan29mcgarrahan29 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
A friend of mine got caught hunting on someone else land. He goes to court today and everyone told him to "deffered judification". We don't know really what this means and if he does, will he get his gun back. I have tried to find what I'm looking for everywhere and can't find the answer. Please help.

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the explanation of what "Deferred Adjudication" is, taken from "LawGuru.com"

quote:A deferred adjudication probation is a type of court ordered community supervision that results in dismissal of the case upon successful completion of the terms and conditions of the probation. It differs from a regular probation in that there is no finding of guilt because after hearing the plea the court Defers a finding of guilt pending good behavior while on probation.

There is a catch. A deferred adjudication will appear on a criminal background check, which often has the same practical impact as a conviction to potential employers, government agencies etc. However, after successful completion of all terms and conditions of a deferred adjudication probation, you can apply to have the records "sealed" from public inspection by filing a Petition for Non-Disclosure. Again, this has its limitations as government agencies will still have the ability to pull up the records.

Is the charge a felony?
    Not sure about Texas law, if he will get his gun back. Probably depends on the circumstances of the case. Maybe someone else will know more about this.

P.S. You know of course that it was WRONG for him to be hunting on someone else's property.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yuck!!!

Moral of the story: Stay off other people's land. He's lucky he didn't get shot, because the last trespasser we know of fired upon the rightful hunters of the area and killed a couple. Good thing they didn't make that assumption.
  • Options
    mcgarrahan29mcgarrahan29 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree 100% that it was wrong, but the gun was my husband's (who has pasted away almost 2 years ago). I just wanted to get it used once or twice this year to keep it in good shape. I wished I would have known where he was going hurting. He can't pay me amount of money or anything else for it. If I don't get it back, it's just gone. Thank you for the information!!!!