In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Carrying firearms as fashion accessories? C&P

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
Capital gun crime rises by 50 per cent
Weapons are now fashion accessories, warns Yard
By Sophie Goodchild, Chief Reporter
Published: 22 January 2006

Record levels of gun crime are being blamed on the fact that more people than ever are carrying firearms as fashion accessories.

Figures published this week by the Home Office are expected to show that offences involving guns have soared by as much as 50 per cent in some parts of the country.

The greatest rises have been in the number of people found in possession of firearms and in the number of attempted murders.

Nearly half of police forces surveyed by The Independent on Sunday report a rise in gun-related offences. Those questioned include the Metropolitan, Hampshire and Bedfordshire forces.

In London, a major area of concern is still black-on-black gun crime, despite huge efforts by the Met to combat such violence. According to Operation Trident, the Met's unit combating black gun crime, offences in the capital rose by more than 50 per cent during 2005, with 164 offences recorded between April and October. This is compared with only 108 the previous year.

Operation Trafalgar, which focuses on gun crime in other communities, saw a total of 536 people arrested last year, as well as 74 firearms, 354 rounds of ammunition and 5.5 kilos of class A drugs seized.

The Met has already increased the number of stop-and-search operations it carries out in boroughs where most of the serious firearms incidents take place.

Outside London, the figures also show a disturbing rise in the use of guns. In Bedfordshire, gun-related offences have risen by 20 per cent over the past two years, from 173 in 2004 to 207 in 2005. The number of cases where people were found carrying a gun more than doubled from 19 to 43 in the same period. There was also a rise in the number of stolen firearms seized - 18 compared with one the year before.

Gun violence has more than doubled in Durham over the past year and in Dorset the number of people found in possession of a gun has increased by 150 per cent, though the force's overall gun crime figures have fallen.

There have been widespread calls for tighter gun controls in Britain in the wake of the killing of policewoman Sharon Beshenivsky by an armed gang in Bradford in November. The 38-year-old died after swapping her shift so that she could be home in time for her daughter Lydia's fourth birthday.

Police chiefs have also singled out the music industry for criticism, as they claim it glamorises gun-related violence.

Last year, a music producer who had worked with the controversial band So Solid Crew was jailed for life after shooting dead his love rival.

Carl Morgan was ordered to serve a minimum of 30 years after shooting Colin Scarlett three times in a street confrontation the jury was told was "reminiscent of the Wild West".

Scotland Yard blamed the rise in gun crime not only on the fact that criminals, some as young as 16, are now more willing than ever to settle "trivial disputes" with a gun, but also on the belief that carrying firearms was fashionable.

"Clearly the Met finds this unacceptable and is determined to tackle the problem through enforcement, as well as proactive operations against the gunmen and gun suppliers," said a spokeswoman.

SMALLER GUNS

Weapons cost between ?45 and ?2,000. Converted replicas cost from ?300 to ?1,000. Popular models include:

LUGER, WALTHER P38 AND WEBLEY MK 4: All used in WW2 but many still serviceable. Often used by older gangsters. Cost: ?150.

BROCOCK MAGNUM: Revolver. Originally designed as an air pistol. Can be converted to fire live .22 ammunition. Cost: ?130.

9MM GLOCK 17L: Semi-automatic. Used by ?lite police and military forces around the world. Very reliable. Cost: ?150-?400.

9MM BROWNING: Semi-automatic. Flooded the streets of London after the Falklands war, smuggled back by soldiers.

LONG SHOTS

Fashion for deadlier weapons:

PUMP-ACTION SHOTGUN: Capable off firing up to 12 high-impact cartridges. Available to criminals for as little as ?25.

MAC 10: submachine-gun. Fire rate of around 1,200 9mm rounds a minute. Usually sourced from Eastern Europe. Fully working model: ?500.

AK-47 ASSAULT RIFLE: Iconic. Now seen in UK for first time. Used in a murder in Hertfordshire in 2003. Sourced from Eastern Europe. Cost: ?1,000.

SKORPION CZ91S: Czech-made machine pistol. Fire rate of 750 rounds a minute. Increasingly seen in the UK. Cost: ?600.

Record levels of gun crime are being blamed on the fact that more people than ever are carrying firearms as fashion accessories.

Figures published this week by the Home Office are expected to show that offences involving guns have soared by as much as 50 per cent in some parts of the country.

The greatest rises have been in the number of people found in possession of firearms and in the number of attempted murders.

Nearly half of police forces surveyed by The Independent on Sunday report a rise in gun-related offences. Those questioned include the Metropolitan, Hampshire and Bedfordshire forces.

In London, a major area of concern is still black-on-black gun crime, despite huge efforts by the Met to combat such violence. According to Operation Trident, the Met's unit combating black gun crime, offences in the capital rose by more than 50 per cent during 2005, with 164 offences recorded between April and October. This is compared with only 108 the previous year.

Operation Trafalgar, which focuses on gun crime in other communities, saw a total of 536 people arrested last year, as well as 74 firearms, 354 rounds of ammunition and 5.5 kilos of class A drugs seized.

The Met has already increased the number of stop-and-search operations it carries out in boroughs where most of the serious firearms incidents take place.

Outside London, the figures also show a disturbing rise in the use of guns. In Bedfordshire, gun-related offences have risen by 20 per cent over the past two years, from 173 in 2004 to 207 in 2005. The number of cases where people were found carrying a gun more than doubled from 19 to 43 in the same period. There was also a rise in the number of stolen firearms seized - 18 compared with one the year before.

Gun violence has more than doubled in Durham over the past year and in Dorset the number of people found in possession of a gun has increased by 150 per cent, though the force's overall gun crime figures have fallen.

There have been widespread calls for tighter gun controls in Britain in the wake of the killing of policewoman Sharon Beshenivsky by an armed gang in Bradford in November. The 38-year-old died after swapping her shift so that she could be home in time for her daughter Lydia's fourth birthday.

Police chiefs have also singled out the music industry for criticism, as they claim it glamorises gun-related violence.

Last year, a music producer who had worked with the controversial band So Solid Crew was jailed for life after shooting dead his love rival.

Carl Morgan was ordered to serve a minimum of 30 years after shooting Colin Scarlett three times in a street confrontation the jury was told was "reminiscent of the Wild West".

Scotland Yard blamed the rise in gun crime not only on the fact that criminals, some as young as 16, are now more willing than ever to settle "trivial disputes" with a gun, but also on the belief that carrying firearms was fashionable.

"Clearly the Met finds this unacceptable and is determined to tackle the problem through enforcement, as well as proactive operations against the gunmen and gun suppliers," said a spokeswoman.

SMALLER GUNS

Weapons cost between ?45 and ?2,000. Converted replicas cost from ?300 to ?1,000. Popular models include:

LUGER, WALTHER P38 AND WEBLEY MK 4: All used in WW2 but many still serviceable. Often used by older gangsters. Cost: ?150.

BROCOCK MAGNUM: Revolver. Originally designed as an air pistol. Can be converted to fire live .22 ammunition. Cost: ?130.

9MM GLOCK 17L: Semi-automatic. Used by ?lite police and military forces around the world. Very reliable. Cost: ?150-?400.

9MM BROWNING: Semi-automatic. Flooded the streets of London after the Falklands war, smuggled back by soldiers.

LONG SHOTS

Fashion for deadlier weapons:

PUMP-ACTION SHOTGUN: Capable off firing up to 12 high-impact cartridges. Available to criminals for as little as ?25.

MAC 10: submachine-gun. Fire rate of around 1,200 9mm rounds a minute. Usually sourced from Eastern Europe. Fully working model: ?500.

AK-47 ASSAULT RIFLE: Iconic. Now seen in UK for first time. Used in a murder in Hertfordshire in 2003. Sourced from Eastern Europe. Cost: ?1,000.

SKORPION CZ91S: Czech-made machine pistol. Fire rate of 750 rounds a minute. Increasingly seen in the UK. Cost: ?600.

Comments

• Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:There have been widespread calls for tighter gun controls in Britain in the wake of the killing of policewoman Sharon Beshenivsky by an armed gang in Bradford in November.

How can you get any tighter than the already complete ban? (unless I am missing something here, I thought all private ownership of firearms was already outlawed in Britain)

The problem is that more gun laws do not equal lower crime.

Of course all of us here already know that. Now, since the gun laws aren't working, they are blaming music and movies. This is the slippery slope to totalitarian oppression. First ban the guns for everyone's "safety". Then when it is clear that didn't work, blame the media and entertainment industries and start banning all films that "glamorize" firearms (and any that show authority figures in a bad light for good measure).

You all know this story. We've seen it repeated throughout history.

-Wolf
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, as far as London goes, it seems that George Orwell was only off by a few years.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A fashion accessory? Not if they had any damn sense. They may carry them, but I doubt they do so openly.
  • Options
    KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tend to believe my 1911 is damnalbly fashionable.[:D]
  • Options
    bunny1911bunny1911 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KYfatboy
    I tend to believe my 1911 is damnalbly fashionable.[:D]

Ditto for mine.

I can't believe that the government in the UK hasn't caught on to the fact that an outright ban on guns simply empowers the criminal. Like WW said, we all know it over here...but apparently, though we can talk to the people across the ocean, we can't communicate. Or maybe the right people aren't talking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:I can't believe that the government in the UK hasn't caught on to the fact that an outright ban on guns simply empowers the criminal.

Bunny:

I can respect that statement, due to the incontrovertible facts that back it, and I think you know that. However, have to ever considered this is exactly how parliament wants things?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    However, have to ever considered this is exactly how parliament wants things?

Dear God in heaven I hope not. That is one thing the optimist in me will not let me consider just yet.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Bunny;
    That warm, fuzzy coat you wear is indeed be..utttt...iful.
    However..look to your own political machine.

Nobody could EVER have read anything about our collective history...and still support gun controls.

No...Gun Control has an evil bent to it..and those supporting and promoting it are advancing the Dark Force...
    ANYTHING taking away freedom from citizens...is promoting evil.

You are intelligent..I don't suppose I need go into aspects of freedom...i.e., the responsibilities therein, ect...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bunny1911
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    However, have to ever considered this is exactly how parliament wants things?

Dear God in heaven I hope not. That is one thing the optimist in me will not let me consider just yet.

I don't want you taking offense to what I am about to say, here. I don't believe you are naive, or anything, but I do believe if you are shown enough evidence stating that gun kontrol is malicious in every single way, no matter how you cover it up, you will be smart enough to see it for what it is.... evil.

Consider the following:
    1. Crime control is impossible.
    2. Banning guns or self defense invites crime.
    3. Politicians know this.
    4. politicians also know that one armed man can hold sway to a hundred unarmed men.
    5. You've caught them lying to you already about gun kontrol, and they continue to persist as if you didn't know.
    6. Politicians are proven to be thieves and pork-barrelers (one in the same, to me).
    7. The juggernaut US gov't is overloaded with debt, and is about to flounder.
    8. Do you really think the gov't agents want you armed when the system does flounder?
    9. If this hasn't occured to you, consider the Hurricane Katrina incident.
    10. Criminals are put back on the street to prey on you, once more.
    11. Do you really believe they are rehabilitated, with the prison being made attractive to hard criminals?
    12. Why do we have repeat offenders?
    13. I'll give you a reason. So they can prey on the populace once more, and give a reason to the gov't agents to try another gun ban scheme.
    14. In order for a police state to exist, it MUST have enemies.
    15. By making enemies of the state out of normal people, say, gun owners, for example, it justifies its own existence.
    16. To perpetuate this circle, gov't agents are more than willing to sacrifice the innocent to achieve it.
    17. All genocides began with weapon disarmament, even in Biblical times.
    18. Gov't wants its influence in every aspect of your life, which is why there are 14 million pages of laws in this country, which is more than 50,000 books with 250 pages average. Why would a benevolent gov't do this?
    19. How can gov't control its people if it has a gun pointed at them?
    20. Why would a congresscritter want you disarmed? Simple. Then, they can pass any law they want, and you can't do a damned thing about it.

Look deep into these statements, and you will find these are not babblings of a conspiracy theorist; this is actually going on. We need as many people seeing this as possible.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have no doubt in my mind that gun control is wrong. I just can't allow myself to think that the government of any nation would intentionally disarm their own citizens and allow the criminals more power. The optimist in me wants to believe that those in power nievley think they'll be able to curb the illegal gun ownership.

Obviously they can't. I know that. I'm not stupid.

I just don't want to become so jaded as to believe there's someone sitting in an office somewhere saying "I don't care if the criminals will have more power, I want the liberals to think I'm fighting for them. I want people to think I'm tough on crime, so I'll disarm everyone knowing full well that criminals break laws anyway...yadda yadda yadda..."

Because I can't believe someone's thinking that. I have to believe they honestly think they're helping society...

It may be nieve or stupid of me...but if I don't keep at least a somewhat positive outlook....it'll all overwhelm me too much.
  • Options
    shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bunny1911
    I have no doubt in my mind that gun control is wrong. I just can't allow myself to think that the government of any nation would intentionally disarm their own citizens and allow the criminals more power. The optimist in me wants to believe that those in power nievley think they'll be able to curb the illegal gun ownership.

I just don't want to become so jaded as to believe there's someone sitting in an office somewhere saying "I don't care if the criminals will have more power, I want the liberals to think I'm fighting for them. I want people to think I'm tough on crime, so I'll disarm everyone knowing full well that criminals break laws anyway...yadda yadda yadda..."

Because I can't believe someone's thinking that. I have to believe they honestly think they're helping society...

It may be nieve or stupid of me...but if I don't keep at least a somewhat positive outlook....it'll all overwhelm me too much.

bunny1911

This is a quote from Ayn Rand you might like[8D]

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible to live without breaking laws."
    --Ayn Rand
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote: I have no doubt in my mind that gun control is wrong. I just can't allow myself to think that the government of any nation would intentionally disarm their own citizens and allow the criminals more power.

I know this is a harsh reality, but it has been done.... recently, too, I might add. Stalin did it. Pol Pot did it. Hitler did it. Saddam Hussein did it. Actually, many nations have done it, including ours. New Jersey, New York and California have done it numerous times, and have victimized the people they are supposed to protect.

FWIW, your congresscritters are probably not nearly as concerned about aiding criminals by disarming the populace as much as they are concerned about armed revolution, which has been in the works for as long a liberal policy has inflicted our society. But the end result is still the same.

quote:The optimist in me wants to believe that those in power nievley think they'll be able to curb the illegal gun ownership.

Where optimism isn't a bad thing to have, realism is essential to that optimism, and you have the gearing to be just that. No one likes to believe they are in a world of evil, but that doesn't make that world go away, unfortunately. If you want to make the world a better place, teach others to be less dependent on others and more on themselves, and as word of mouth travels, it will slowly slay the beast. Now, what is more rewarding?

quote:I just don't want to become so jaded as to believe there's someone sitting in an office somewhere saying "I don't care if the criminals will have more power, I want the liberals to think I'm fighting for them. I want people to think I'm tough on crime, so I'll disarm everyone knowing full well that criminals break laws anyway...yadda yadda yadda..."

They are actually saying something more like this:
    "We have run a serious risk of the peasants raising arms against us for all of the things we have done to them. We have to get them disarmed, so they can't kill us in an armed revolt. We need allies, so we must continue to deceive them in order to accomplish this, and crime is an excellent excuse to do it."

quote:Because I can't believe someone's thinking that. I have to believe they honestly think they're helping society...

By reading this, you have metaphorically taken the blue pill. You have all that you need in order to know the truth. I never said it would be easy; I will only promise you, it is the truth. As long as you are aware of this, or at least seat it in the back of your mind, you will be better off than you would if no one ever told you.

quote:It may be nieve or stupid of me...but if I don't keep at least a somewhat positive outlook....it'll all overwhelm me too much.

No... not naive at all. Or stupid, for that matter. Let me help you with your positive outlook. There are 90 million people, just like you, in differing degrees, that are noticing a problem where their rights are concerned. Many of those people are silently withdrawing their consent, and living the way they want to live. Many more are not gun people (but should be), but they are civil disobedients. We are all civil disobedients, here, to some degree. Some of us have never commited any acts otherwise against the law, but we still are not cowardishly obeying the masters. There are a lot more of us, than there are of them, and I will live free, and die free.

One day, we will have to stand up for those ideals and principles. How we respond to the rest of the world will confirm that America is a great land, full of great people, and that we will not tolerate evil people. The right act has not yet occured.

Sufficient to saym though, Bunny, you are not alone. That should be a very encouraging thought. Don't lose sight of that.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:Sufficient to saym though, Bunny, you are not alone. That should be a very encouraging thought. Don't lose sight of that.
    That, friends...you can make book on.

We may only represent 3% of the population...but that 3% is the heart and soul of what is left of freedom.

I prefer that 3 out of 100 over associating with the weak-kneed limp-wristed 97& that will suffer ANY insult...and sell out everything to buy another day or week.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    quote:Sufficient to saym though, Bunny, you are not alone. That should be a very encouraging thought. Don't lose sight of that.
    That, friends...you can make book on.

We may only represent 3% of the population...but that 3% is the heart and soul of what is left of freedom.

I prefer that 3 out of 100 over associating with the weak-kneed limp-wristed 97& that will suffer ANY insult...and sell out everything to buy another day or week.

Highball... the number is higher than you realize. If there is one thing I've learned in this life, it is that your best friend may belong to a group or organization that you would never belong to, but has just realized something is very wrong with its activities, and is switching sides. Your worst enemy may be your best friend, who is about to rat you out to save his sorry rear end, or just plain stab you in the back for nothing.

The hammer goes down, and you will see who is who. The talkers will cower behind their doors, and otherwise normal people will assemble and take care of business.