In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any lawyers? Ca DOJ memo on AR/AK lower receivers.

CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
As some of you may know in the last couple months thousands of AR and AK style lower receivers have been sold in California. It appears the Cali DOJ has not updated their list weapons classified as assault weapons. This left the door open for legal importation for lower receivers that could be built up as complete weapons with the magazine held in place with a screw or nut.

The hope for many was that the DOJ would add then to the list of banned weapons and doing so making it legal to convert the weapons as designed, with detachable mag.

Today the DOJ released a memo stating that the intend to add these models to the list, but the weapons could only be built up without features such as detachable mags creating another tier of assault weapon. For you legal types does this sound possible? To my understanding to be listed as a AW it should have the features that define it as such?

link to memo:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=27911

Thanks for the input,
CWatson

Comments

• Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Truth is that the CA DOJ will ban whatever they want. There is nobody watching over their shoulders. The DAs and judges all stand lock-step with them in their effort to outlaw all firearms possession in the state of Kalifornia.

JMHO,
    WoundedWolf
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    Truth is that the CA DOJ will ban whatever they want. There is nobody watching over their shoulders. The DAs and judges all stand lock-step with them in their effort to outlaw all firearms possession in the state of Kalifornia.

JMHO,
    WoundedWolf

It's not an opinion, period. It is an incontrovertible fact, Wolf.
  • Options
    gonzo1510gonzo1510 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no Liar Lawyer, but somehow I don't think that The AG can update the list. That is what the Legislators are for. It's the AG's job to enforce the law not make it.