In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Google receives subpoena for "deleted" gMail

kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
http://www.digg.com/security/Google_receives_subpoena_for_deleted_gMail

quote:by gronne on 3/17/06
Wow. Between this and the re-classification of our historical documents, decreased government transparency, is anyone not at least a little freaked out yet? [reply]
by PhantomZmoove on 3/17/06
Hell yes it freaks me out, but what can we do about it? Write a letter to out local representatives? Yeah, that usually generates a generic response from their assistant. Long gone are the days that the people can stand up to government. The right to bear arms doesn't really pan out against tanks & aircraft.

[V]

Comments

• Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I always say to those that talk computers with me: Security is a priority. Use your PGP or GPG to encrypt your email (provided the reciever has a compatable program that they use), set up encrypted filesystems on your computer, etc. etc.
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    I agree with the above. What you send over the net is no ones business but yours and the receiving party. One can never be to carefull.
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dsmith
    As I always say to those that talk computers with me: Security is a priority. Use your PGP or GPG to encrypt your email (provided the reciever has a compatable program that they use), set up encrypted filesystems on your computer, etc. etc.

best thing going, for free

http://www.truecrypt.org/
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen;
    You will do as you wish. I, however,believe these'codes' are cracked...and you send private information at your own peril.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball, I used to agree with you on security being futile. After seriously studying the issue, I do believe that several encryption algorithms are very strong.

The government may have some hacks that private citizens aren't aware of, but that doesn't change the fact that the best hackers in the private sector have failed to break them.
  • Options
    Rusty ShacklefordRusty Shackleford Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dsmith
    Highball, I used to agree with you on security being futile. After seriously studying the issue, I do believe that several encryption algorithms are very strong.

The government may have some hacks that private citizens aren't aware of, but that doesn't change the fact that the best hackers in the private sector have failed to break them.

What a great opportunity for my first post here. I have been lurking and reading for some time, but just can't pass up this chance. Bear in mind that this post represents only my .02 and YMMV but....

I have degrees in cybercrime technology/computer forensics and computer security. I work as a consultant to LE and defense attorneys both conducting investigations and as an expert witness in crimes involving computer forensics and can say in all confidence that while encryption can theoretically be broken, but it would take about 1000 years on the fastest computers available to break some of the encryption algorithms available today. In fact, there used to be a $1M "bounty" out to anyone who could reliably defeat PGP. There were "rumors" of a government mandated backdoor built in after PGP v.5.0, but they are just that - rumors. I can tell you for a FACT that no one I know in LE (including FBI) can defeat modern encryption. I use it all the time and have complete confidence in its effectiveness.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    well.

Welcome aboard. Hopefully not in your professional capacity...[:D]
    The arguments are hot, heavy...and ultimately futile, I fear...
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    csi-cyberspace,
    Welcome to the forum.
    You are not a lurker any more. [;)]
    Join in the fun.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I just use public computers, disposable email accounts, and identify myself with a fairly everyday name, like Smith. dsmith.