In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is there a limit?

codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
While reading the post on Mike Adams' bid on the US Presidency, a limit on the number of firearms and ammo was mentioned. Does anyone know of or can you cite such a limit?

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Geez! What kinda logic, if any, do such fools use? You can only shoot one gun at a time. Limiting the number of guns you can own would make as little sense as limiting the number of cars you could own if they suspected you of being a careless driver.

In regards to someone having a lot of ammo, and the government wanting to limit the amount you can have, some nut case that goes on a shooting rampage can only carry a fairly limited amount of ammo anyway.

In regards to a nut case being barricaded with hundreds of guns and a warehouse of ammo, the nut case can only shot one gun at a time and he/she will never be able to use much of that warehouse of ammo before the swat team flushes him/her out of the barricaded structure.

And finally, and darn it, every logical person should know this. The people who are intent on doing illegal harm to society will just ignore any and all laws and stockpile as much ammo and as many guns as they want.

So yet more numerous and yet more restrictive gun/ammo laws will once again only be a burden on peaceful, lawful, honest gun owners.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it just me, or are TR and Highball sounding more and more alike?

[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    Is it just me, or are TR and Highball sounding more and more alike?

[;)]

I think it is a result of the Vulcan mind meld Highball pulled on me [8D]
  • Options
    jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea that's got to be it!!!![:D]
  • Options
    shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    While reading the post on Mike Adams' bid on the US Presidency, a limit on the number of firearms and ammo was mentioned. Does anyone know of or can you cite such a limit?

At one time during the Clinton crime spree , they tried to limit the number of rounds you could have to a 1000 rounds and put a short shelf life on primers so after a few years they would go bad.
    It never happened .
    It did however cause a rush to hord primers to the point of a shortage of them.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootstright
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul

At one time during the Clinton crime spree , they tried to limit the number of rounds you could have to a 1000 rounds and put a short shelf life on primers so after a few years they would go bad.
    It never happened .
    It did however cause a rush to hord primers to the point of a shortage of them.[8D]

That's a start. TR- not looking for a debate on the lunacy of such a law. Just looking to see if one exists.

I heard once long ago that there was a limit of 20 firearms. I have long left that figure behind. Just wanted to know if the law actually existed. Could not find anything after a fair search last night.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    codenamepaul,
    I have not heard of any such law.
    Not even in the commie states.
    There are laws, in some commie states, on how many you can buy a month etc. but no total limit.

I thought that whole post was meant as a joke.
    Was I wrong?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Joke or not it still highlights yet another reason the news media and sometimes law enforcement show their dislike and distrust for even honest, lawful gun owners. Over the years I have read news stories about how various people are arrested for various violations and their house and property searched. Sometimes the police will find and confiscate anything and everything that looks like it COULD be munutions. I'm referring to confiscating something as harmless as a TOTALLY deactived hand gernade. Then the police and news making a big deal about that deactived hand gernade, which is nothing more than a paper weight (I have one). In addition if the arrested party has more than about 3 or 4 guns, the news media almost ALWAYS refers to an "arsenal" of guns. And if there are over a hundred rounds of ammo with those guns (doesn't matter even if all that ammo might not fit those guns) the ammo is referred to as a "stock pile of ammo". Now keep in mind what I have just described as what I observe has happened often even when there is not crime of violence involved nor has therre been any crime involving a gun or ammo. Still the news media and sometimes law enforce end up acting like they have saved the community by discovering and confiscating that "arsenal and stockpile of ammo". This sometimes tends to make all people who own several guns or who buy ammo in bulk to save money look like dangerous people. And of course this is not true.

Now if the arrested person is truly a dangerous and bad person, I don't much care what happens to him/her, but I just don't like the news media jumping on ever stuation where there happen to be several guns and a store of ammo and making such ownership look like people who do such things are automatically border line bad people.

As I mentioned, even if I own one million guns, I can only shoot one at a time with any accuracy. In regards to ammo, even if my garage was stacked to the ceiling with ammo, I can only shoot one bullet per trigger pull. As long as guns and ammo are legally owned and safely stored and in the hands of lawfufl citizens, the guns and ammo should be treated no differently in regards to being a "dangerous substance" than the law and the news media would treat someone who has a five gallon gas can supply for his lawnmower, or a 90 day supply of prescription medication, or 10 boxes of wooden matches, etc.

JMHO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Does anyone know of or can you cite such a limit?

California, and I believe a few other states, does have the 1 gun a month rule.

My wife heard a rumor that anyone who keeps more than a certain amount of guns in their home must register as an "arsenal" in California, but I have never confirmed this. I didn't find anything on the CA DOJ website about that so it may be false.

I think most of the other limits are just outright bans, such as the California DOJ "approved" handgun list, the armor piercing ammo ban, the "assault weapon" ban, etc.

I do believe there may be some limitations in places on the storage of black powder. I recall that when I bought my home there was something in the C&Rs about it, and I have signed many leases and rental agreements that mention such substances.

Otherwise, I agree with TR. Perception can be everything, no matter how distorted.

-Wolf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No doubt about it (perception) If I were raided, rest asuured you'd see it on CNN-count on it. Every aspect of my life would be turned to depict me as a whacko-including my participation in these forums.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:While reading the post on Mike Adams' bid on the US Presidency, a limit on the number of firearms and ammo was mentioned. Does anyone know of or can you cite such a limit?

I think you need to reread the post again. It sounded more to me like the right is being restricted, and that apparently, Mike Adams is trying to say he wants the feds out of his gun safe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Every aspect of my life would be turned to depict me as a whacko-including my participation in these forums.

Frightening, but oh so true, so true.

quote:...he wants the feds out of his gun safe.

Clever and well said, Gunphreak. I salute you. Your wit is sharp and accurate.

-Wolf
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    The only "limit" should be decided by what you can get past the wife.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by One shot

As I do the finances, that's the easy part. The hard part is convincing her that the new rifle had been in the safe for months!!!!!
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like wolf is in favor of ammo count restrictions. The only person who should be able to restrict your ammo and gun count is your wife.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Sounds like wolf is in favor of ammo count restrictions.

[?]

Where are you getting this impression, Mr. "seatle"?
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    [:D] I was going to address that post...but I KNEW the Wolf would be prow[:0]lin' over it....

That post from Seatle comes about from a simple missreading of one of your posts, Wolf. Or at least..that is what I THINK...
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1

LMAO. Yeah, I know. I wanted to head to the gun show two weeks ago to see if I couldn't pick up a folding stock for my Mini 14, and she just refused to let me go. "Don't we have enough guns?"

Not wanting to sleep on the couch, I just refused to answer.

The only "limit" should be decided by how much room you have in your gun safe cross-referenced to how many more gun safes you can fit in the house without the wife complaining about all the "boxy" green and brown "furniture."
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Admittedly, I don't have many. I don't really want many. The ones I do have are damn fine.

But if you want more, that should be your call.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I missread an earlier post, any way don't know how i missed the post two up from my original blunder. Glad everyone's so polite around here, thanks.