In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

National ID cards...

kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
They're discussing this issue over at slashdot.. interesting and informative, Read the comments!

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/06/04/27/2326258.shtml

After I found this comment I had to post it...

quote:There are many examples of goverment programs and statutues which quickly morphed well beyond the original intent. Income tax was a temporary measure to fund World War 1. The 65 mph speed limit began as another temporary measure to reduce gas consumption during an oil embargo by Middle East producers in the 1970's. Now it's a major law enforcement revenue stream under the rubric 'safety' and some countries are even contemplating permamently tracking all vehicles for compliance to speed limits. The RICO statutes were passed to regulate intersate commerce and are now the foundations of a mass of laws the American Founders would never have dreamed. Copyright, distorted immeasurably beyond it's origins into a means to regulate the flow of information (wake up if you don't believe that's what DRM not only is, but requires.) The laws created to support the war on drugs alone should be more than enough to convince anyone that, for whatever reasons, government continually strive to expand its power. You don't think something as powerful a single, mandatory way to track an individual's history won't be abused? We're 'utilitarianing' ourselves straight to hell.

Comments

• Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found this interesting....

quote:Now it's a major law enforcement revenue stream under the rubric 'safety' and some countries are even contemplating permamently tracking all vehicles for compliance to speed limits.

Will this country? No. I'll tell you why. It would be broken so often, by so many people, that would be all the system could ever do, and you get even a fraction, not even a quarter of them that refuse to pay, and the .gov will quickly turn on its back, bankrupt, because those unwilling to pay will seriously overload jails, making the threat of action meaningless and hollow. If they decide to raid places to bust "offenders", the next revolution could be the result.

I wish they would do it.
  • Options
    IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunphreak, isn't that exactley what they are doing. Pass a law that can not possibley be enforced, then pass another one (while not really enforcing the first ((which was unneeded if they had not meanieize the meanings of our original laws)) so they can pass another law etc...?
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice time-machine[8D]
  • Options
    SawBonesBobSawBonesBob Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to break it to you KP, but if you have a cell phone in your pocket, the government can already track your movements, altitude, velocity--and don't think there not already doing it--at least selectively.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IAMAHUSKER
    Gunphreak, isn't that exactley what they are doing. Pass a law that can not possibley be enforced, then pass another one (while not really enforcing the first ((which was unneeded if they had not meanieize the meanings of our original laws)) so they can pass another law etc...?

One law or many laws, does it really matter. The end result will be the same, should civil disobedience play out its role.