In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Possesion law in OK and TX (in vehicle)

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a drive from LA to OK soon. The drive will likely be repeated a few times a year, and I generally have a weapon in my vehicle.

Here in LA, possesion in your vehicle is pretty much common sense, considered as an extension of your home. Since my route will put me accross NE Texas and through OK to Tulsa, I want to get details before I cross into another state with a handgun in my vehicle.

Any locals in OK or TX that can provide me with info on a weapon in your vehicle ?

Comments

• WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Nevada, it is kind of up to the DA and Sheriff in each county. Most around here are pro-gun, but they could probably make a stink if they wanted to. In California, state law says that you must carry a handgun unloaded, in a locked container, separate from the ammunition. They even consider a loaded magazine the same as a loaded firearm.

I'm not saying Texas is anything like California, but local laws can run the gambit depending on who is in charge.

-Wolf
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check packing.org
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    None of us are lawyers,,at least that I know of. The problem is very real....if we tell you something that we really truly THINK is true...and isn't.....its your butt going to jail.
    When the final decision is made..we each have to balance the need for protection against the need for government to keep us defenseless.
  • badtoycustomsbadtoycustoms Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    oklahoma law states you can have the weapon in the car but must be unloaded and ammo stored elsewhere--example: gun in center console ammo in dash glove box. every one i know has a permit. if you have one tell the officer first before you give him your dl license. that there is a gun in the car. also oklahoma passed the amended make my day law with permit --that you can defend anyone now instead of just your immediate family
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I would call the OK HWY Patrol...they are in charge of issueing CHL's, they should know. In Texas, call Texas HWY Patrol in Austin...they issue the CHL's here...and they should know...[;)]

ani-texas-flag.gif