In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Flags in Classrooms

Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
You've probably heard of the bill before our Congress to make the display of the American flag mandatory in school classrooms. It must be 2' x 3' and it must be "Made in the U.S.A.".

How about petitioning our elected officials to include with that bill a mandatory framed copy of the Bill of Rights and a mandatory framed copy of the U.S. Constitution and Amendments? Figure 16" x 20" would be appropriate with 11" x 14" the bare minimum. Maybe even the Declaration of Independence should be included, too. Yes?

What do you folks think of that idea? Over the years, kids might learn something from these framed documents by sheer osmosis.

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I do not like either idea. The federal government has no constitutional authority to dictate what happens in the class rooms. Any federal law mandating flag flying, or postings in the classroom, is unconstitutional.
    I just assume the feds stick with their constitutional duties, and leave everything else alone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And by the way slowhand- your lincoln quote dealing with the constitution is hysterical! I always get a good laugh whenever I see the great destroyer of the constitution, pontificating about the sanctity of the constitution.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You must be careful with rubbing our flag in the noses of others. Fly it on your own with pride. Sure!

On the other hand, the flying of any other flag as an act of defiance to the US should immediately be a one-way ticket straight to wherever that flag represents. Personally, I always thought naturalization should mean to never allow dual-citizenship, and the idea that people come to this country to leave their country, not to attempt to subvert this country into one like the one they left.

Note: Flags that represent history, ideas or other flags that represent something besides another country should not adhere to the above. Gadsden Flags, Confederate Flags and POW flags are not representers of other countries.

And of course, for all of you who find that flying a flag makes one a patriot or a freedom lover, think again. Flying a flag makes you a flag-flyer, and not much else... but it opens you up to any number of propagandists who would willfully mislead you into the belief that the flag is a symbol of (insert fascist concept here), making you want to believe it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Putting aside your individual perspective on the American flag in the classroom, do you feel that today's children are - as a whole -basically clueless about the Bill of Rights? The U.S. Constitution and Amendments? Their contents? Importance?

That's really what I'm most curious about since the 1st and 4th Amendments get continual "play" in TV shows and in movies. I think that even 6 year old kids could tell you what they mean.

But, the 2nd Amendment and many of the others, probably not so.

Your thoughts if you please.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Children and adults, are both clueless about the bill of rights and the constitution. If they even had a smidgen of clue, they would stop voting for politicians who use the constitution as toilet paper.
    But I am not so sure I would want it taught in schools. Could just imagagine what a bunch of half twit public school teachers would have to say about the constitution.
    What would be best is require them to have to READ IT, without any commentary from the teachers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree that children and adults should be left to read these documents on their own but I also feel that there is absolutely no incentive or encouragement for them to do so.

Years of political nonsense on all sides of all the aisles and also near the exit doors has dictated otherwise and, in my opinion, relegated these documents to where they're perceived as more of a concept rather than embraced and revered as THE cornerstone of our Republic.

Back in the late 50's and early 60's when I was in grammar school, every history book throughout the grades had these documents in the appendix for reference. We had to read them every year and answer the obligatory multiple choice, matching column and mini-essay questions on them. I'm sure that many of you did as well. Not so today.

I'm a relatively newbie as far as guns go and so I may sound more than pie-in-the-sky optimistic. You may call me goofy, nuts or anything you like. Maybe I'm just a hopelessly naive and wishful thinker. Or not.

If you would, however, indulge me just a bit further and consider the following idea:

What if every respectable gun rights organization offered attractive free framed photocopies of these documents, untouched and unedited, for distribution to schools across the nation? NO LOGOS, NO ADS, NO STRINGS ATTACHED. Could this gesture conceivably be one of the small seeds we responsible gun owners sow today for the preservation of tomorrow?

Freedom of thought, especially in young developing minds, is dynamic in nature.

Time can be our ally. Let's think out of the box a bit here and I respectfully encourage all to take this idea and run with it or trample it into the ground.

Your thoughts, please...
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    The constitution and the amendments were all part of the US History classes when I went to school. It should be part of classroom study along with the Bill of Rights, the second amendment and all the other documents that make up the foundation of our country. It is important to teach young minds about how and why America was formed so they can understand the importance of protecting our freedom and independence from others who would distroy those rights.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's no secret that gun rights groups are frowned upon by the liberals in this country. That said, if the NRA - just as an example - were to initiate a program wherein they distribute framed copies of the U.S. Constitution and Amendments verbatim to schools with no logos attached, no reference to the NRA, no explanation, no strings whatsoever attached - then this becomes the extension of an "olive branch". You can be sure that there will be more than some reluctance to accept anything from a gun rights group but stop and think of the ramnifications. A legitimate gun rights group makes a sincere gesture in troubled times to make sure that the youth of America are made aware of the cornerstone of our Republic - and your community's school rejects that offer?! Who looks afraid of whom? Who looks more like a censor than an educator? Who looks good no matter how many schools acceot or reject the offer? Lastly, how many more children will be made aware of the Constitution as a result? Think acorn here. Your thoughts if you please.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:"Few subjects are as important to the future of America as a thorough understanding and appreciation of the U.S. Constitution by every school student. It is not enough to simply praise the document as one of the foundations of our nation. It is essential that students learn why and how the Constitution governs the structure and function of government. It is crucial that students learn that government is empowered by the consent of the governed, not the other way around. They must learn that this power is transmitted to the government through the election process and that they, individually, bear the responsibility to choose candidates who reflect their views. They must learn that freedom in America is the reason why the nation has prospered. Freedom is neither granted nor guaranteed by the government. Government can only limit freedom. Freedom is granted by the Creator and guaranteed by responsible individuals who hold their government accountable. A thorough knowledge and appreciation of the U.S. Constitution is the first step toward becoming a responsible citizen. The next step is to act continually on that knowledge, to keep government within the limits of power to which the people consent." Henry Lamb
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Excellent quote, Pickenup. Very apropos to the question I raised.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find the very act of flying a US Flag without knowing the significance of that which the flag represents an act of sincere stupidity.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you have a good idea, Slow Hand. Even if they did have NRA logos stamped at the bottom, I don't see the problem with a school district deciding to accept free historical material from an organization like the NRA. After all, some schools are now actually selling advertising space on school grounds. Pepsi and Coke have been advertising on vending machines at schools for years. Many schools even allow Pizza Hut and Taco Bell to sell on campus. Ever look at the advertising section in the back of a high school yearbook?

Anyway, I would love to see the media coverage of the school district that rejected the free framed Constitution, Declaration of Independence, or U.S. Flag from the NRA. Would sure help further clarify where the concentrations of anti-gun/anti-American Commie trash are located.

But I do agree with Salzo, there is no reason for the Feds to be in any way involved in mandating or regulating this activity in our schools. That is why we elect school boards and have administrators. We just need to force them to be accountable to us, the citizens, instead of their union.

-Wolf
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see no problem with a state legislature passing this requirement, if it reflects the will of the people.

quote:Still, the measure passed. Schools will have one year to seek donations of both flags and posters showing the Constitution.

Hello, NRA??? Here is your opportunity.

-Wolf