In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New York passes PRO-gun bill???

pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
quote:For the first time in years both houses of the New York state legislature have approved pro-gun legislation. The Senate passed S-2742A, providing an exemption allowing supervised possession and use of a handgun at a target range by persons at least 14 years of age, by a vote of 56-4. The assembly companion bill, A-11864, passed 131-12. The bill now goes to Governor Pataki to sign. Urge him to do so by writing, calling or e-mailing: Governor George E. Pataki, State Capitol, Albany, NY 12224; phone: 518-474-8390
Quote come from an NSSF email.

Comments

• Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    quote:For the first time in years both houses of the New York state legislature have approved pro-gun legislation. The Senate passed S-2742A, providing an exemption allowing supervised possession and use of a handgun at a target range by persons at least 14 years of age, by a vote of 56-4. The assembly companion bill, A-11864, passed 131-12. The bill now goes to Governor Pataki to sign. Urge him to do so by writing, calling or e-mailing: Governor George E. Pataki, State Capitol, Albany, NY 12224; phone: 518-474-8390

Hallelujah!!!! If Pataki signs it, it would one small step for the 2nd Amendment, one giant leap for New Yorkers!!!
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slow_Hand
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

Hallelujah!!!! If Pataki signs it, it would one small step for the 2nd Amendment, one giant leap for New Yorkers!!!

Reading the text on that one, it would be one small step for 2A, one small step for New Yorkers.
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    Granted, it's really a small step for New Yorkers in consideration of the ground they have to make up, but as an ex-New Yorker, it's really monumental.

My dad and I were best friends and he died way too early on in life. Had this one single solitary law been in place while he was alive, he and I would have spent countless hours at the range and I wouldn't have had wait until I was nearing old fart status to shoot my first handgun.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slow_Hand
    Granted, it's really a small step for New Yorkers in consideration of the ground they have to make up, but as an ex-New Yorker, it's really monumental.

My dad and I were best friends and he died way too early on in life. Had this one single solitary law been in place while he was alive, he and I would have spent countless hours at the range and I wouldn't have had wait until I was nearing old fart status to shoot my first handgun.

Yeah, I know. My mom has never shot a gun in her life. For a long time, I thought she may have been one of those anti-gun people, but I never asked. One day, I bought my first gun. She told me how proud of me she was, and how she expected me to be very careful with it and all those things.

I didn't have a dad. Well, not until I was 14. My step dad knew a bunch of people who were big into these kinds of things, and I ended up under the tutelage of many people very skilled in the use of pistols and rifles, tactics, sniping, urban combat, and scouting. It wasn't until I was 23 that I bought my first handgun, a Glock 17, and the rest is history. That was 10 years ago.

I miss that gun range stuff too, though.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    And all this time I was breaking the law by allowing my children countless hours of supervised use of a handgun. Neither of whom are 14 yet. Who would've known. I think had I known, I would have ignored it anyway.

I haven't lived in NY for about 6 years, my youngest is 10 so they were shooting handguns at about 4 or so.
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    Hell, now maybe someone can teach the homies to hit what they are aiming at rather than some bystandard.