In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lesson Learned

Angel2youAngel2you Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
Awhile ago I posted the topic relating to me being pulled over for speeding and getting a hand gun violatoin for being over a .04.

In court, it was pretty easy going. The citation said Metal Penatrating Bullets, but the police report differed. The Judge threw it all out. The Officer never gave me a breathalizer that was legal, here in MN roadside tests are only a preliminary test. There is no proof of what number I blew. Judge said that there is most definately a lack of knowledge as far as the hand gun law, and that more training is needed both for officers & for citizens.

So, I still have my permit & my gun.

Lessons Learned: Never upfront tell an officer that I have a gun & do not consume even one drink when gun is in my possesion.

Comments

• Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good, glad to hear everything worked out for you.

I am also glad you learned something.

To be on the safe side, i don't even take cough medicine while carrying... just in case.
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    Thank you for being honest and candid. Glad to hear you dodged the proverbial bullet on that one.
  • Options
    HollywoodHollywood Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What part of MN did this happen to you in? Id like to know so Im not speeding through there. Did the judge say anything about the so called metal penatrating bullets? Curios because I live in SE MN. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the update Monica.
    Many people do not let us know the outcome of their "posts" [;)]

Good to hear you learned something from this.
    Guns and alcohol (any amount) don't mix.......ever.
  • Options
    Angel2youAngel2you Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This happened in St. Paul, by Rice & Larpentuer, but 2 blocks into Maplewood. Not a super nice area, that is why I put my gun in my truck in the first place.
    The Judge brought up the fact that there is a lack of knowledge & training for both officers & civilians. I agree!!! I will not ever drink with my handgun again. I will have my husband drive, he does not drink, then it will not matter if the gun is in the truck, he too has a carry permit.

Thanks to all who have been following this with me.

quote:Originally posted by Hollywood
    What part of MN did this happen to you in? Id like to know so Im not speeding through there. Did the judge say anything about the so called metal penatrating bullets? Curios because I live in SE MN. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Options
    HollywoodHollywood Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats putting it mildly. I worked for a company right off of 280 and Como delivering steel in the metro area. I know right where your talking about.
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    Relevant to the topic, is near-beer, i.e. "non-alcoholic" beer such as O'Douls et al, considered legal to drink for purposes of carrying a weapon? I ask only because the smell of hops on the breath of a person who did consume one or several "non-alcoholic" near-beers could prompt an officer to react as if the person was "under the influence", despite any formal breathalyzer tests saying otherwise.

Anyone know anything for sure about this issue? The bottle's label specifically states "non-alcoholic" and then quantifies it as containing less than 0.xx% of alcohol per xx ounces.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think they would have to have a BAC reading, either blood breath, or urine. Perhaps if you drank a 12er of O'Douls then you should be worried.

[:D]

On a serious note, if you get arrested for "suspicion of drunk driving" (like Mel Gibson just did) but there was no test performed, and you know for a fact that you are sober, immediately go to a blood lab and get your blood alcohol tested. Make sure they note the time of the sample. If you really are sober then there shouldn't be any alcohol in your blood, whereas if you were drunk there would be some residual, even if they held you for several hours. This could really help you in court.