In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Criminal Record :(

xxprincecjxxxxprincecjxx Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hi. New to the forums and all that.
I have a criminal record here in Massachusetts which prohibits me from obtaining a firearm & FID card. I'm looking to purchase one and to obtain my FID card out of state. Here in massachusetts, we have one of the strict'est gun laws in the country. You can see for your self at http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/

I'm thinking of driving 3 hours to rhode island to obtain my fid card and firearm. My only question is...Will i just be able to walk into a gun store and purchase a firearm AND obtain an FID card with no hassle? According to a friend in VA which has the EXACT same laws, i shouldn't have a problem. There is however, a 7 day waiting period for handguns in Rhode Island. So agian, my question is: Will I be able to just walk into a gun store and purchase a weapon and fid card?
Thanks for your time in advance,
-Cory

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    If it isn't a felony or one of the other crimes that *federal* law states about you owning guns, you could always move to a different state where your situation would be legal. Other than that, you are just asking for more and more and more trouble....
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no. you cant import guns into mass. it has to be mass compliant and being that you have a record, odds are, youre gonna be flagged. if you carry the gun across the mass line, you WILL be a fellon for sure if caught.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't say what kind of criminal record you have, that prevents you from buying a firearm in your state.

From the sounds of what your planning, the next introduction you will hear, will go something like this.

Cory, meet BUBBA
    BUBBA, Cory's fresh MEAT.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ain't touching this one with a 10 foot pole.
  • Options
    xxprincecjxxxxprincecjxx Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cool thx for your advice. I have a violent criminal record, assult n battery with a dangerous weapon (Not a gun) my hands are considered a dangerous weapon here in the state of Mass. And a domestic assault charge. I went to my local police station about this issue but they said with my record i can't even take any gun courses to even register for my FID. Only reason i want a firarm is to protect my family, I live in a bad town. Hence, i already have a record. I decided not to go out of state and purchase a handgun. That'l just equall more jail time for me.
    Well thx agian,
    -Cory
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bad news, bro- if you have a CONVICTION for domestic violence, under Federal Law, you have lost the right to possess- that means hold- ANY modern firearm (by modern I mean not a muzzleloader). Not buy, not rent, not borrow. Not rifle, not shotgun, not handgun. Not in Mass, Rhode Island, or anywhere. Does not need to be a felony (altho that in itself is a disqualifier) just domestic violence.
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where do the gang banger in Lowell and Dorchester get their guns? I'd start making some friends in low places.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    This guy got 15 years in jail because he had a air rifle silencer and mailed it to Ohio:

http://www.masslive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-5/1152691611113690.xml?nnmw

BBgun with silencer.....the jury ruled it was a firearm and convicted him.

Move NOW!!!!!

YOU can not even own a BB Gun in Massachussets....a paintball gun is likely banned from your hands as well.
  • Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chappsyny
    Where do the gang banger in Lowell and Dorchester get their guns? I'd start making some friends in low places.

xxprincecjxx may very well be a great guy and family man, but he has a felony conviction for violent assault as well as a domestic assault rap. Defending his right to own a gun is probably not the best use of forum (or your) time and politically its a non-starter. Suggesting in a forum, even in jest, that he obtain one illegally from thugs and creeps is at best foolish and irresponsible.
  • Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Red223
    This guy got 15 years in jail because he had a air rifle silencer and mailed it to Ohio:

http://www.masslive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-5/1152691611113690.xml?nnmw

BBgun with silencer.....the jury ruled it was a firearm and convicted him.

The guy was give 15

Move NOW!!!!!

YOU can not even own a BB Gun in Massachussets....a paintball gun is likely banned from your hands as well.

READ THE ARTICLE:

He was a previously convicted FELON!

"Crooker, 51, formerly of Agawam, had been charged with being a previously convicted felon "causing a firearm to travel in interstate commerce." Crooker was accused of trying to mail an air rifle and sound muffler to an Ohio man in 2004. Air rifles are not considered firearms under federal law, but silencers that can be used on regular guns are. Testimony during the trial centered on whether the black metal cylinder mailed with the air rifle qualifies as a silencer and therefore a firearm. Felons are prohibited from owning firearms."
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    RED- Don't be so ignorant. You can own both air guns and paintball guns here in MA. You can own machine guns and "assault weapons" The only thing expressly forbidden are silencers. You need a license-yes. A license I am opposed to needing-yes. But you can possess them. Cory is SOL.