In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Paul Harvey on gun control

dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
Some useful info here, from the JPFO website

Are you considering backing gun control laws? Do you think that because you may not own a gun, the rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment don't matter?

CONSIDER THESE --

In 1929 the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, approximately 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915-1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, the mentally ill, and others, who were unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million "educated" people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

That places total victims who lost their lives because of gun control at approximately 56 million in the last century. Since we should learn from the mistakes of history, the next time someone talks in favor of gun control, find out which group of citizens they wish to have exterminated.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed, a program costing the government more than $500 million dollars. The results Australia-wide: homicides are up 3.2%, assaults are up 8%, armed robberies are up 44%. In that country's state of Victoria, homicides with firearms are up 300%. Over the previous 25 years, figures show a steady decrease in armed robberies and Australian politicians are on the spot and at a loss to explain how no improvement in "safety" has been observed after such monumental effort and expense was successfully expended in "ridding society of guns."

It's time to state it plainly; guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws only affect the law-abiding citizens.

Take action before it's too late, write or call your delegation.

Paul Harvey ....

Comments

• WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll tell you how pro-gun Paul Harvey is...

Last week he sputtered an alarming (and from what I can tell completely inaccurate) report about the "new" Colt Python that was only "2-inches long" and could "easily" be slipped into a pocket and passed by screeners at an airport. He said that airport screeners should be "on the lookout".

Now I've seen a lot of Colt Pythons, and there may be some custom jobs with a 2-inch BARREL. But I've never seen a 2-INCH LONG COLT PYTHON!

I listen to Paul just about every morning, and I find that more and more of his "news" is incomplete, inaccurate, and outdated. I think he believes every e-mail scam story that gets sent to him. Wouldn't be surprised if I hear him report about the African prince that needs a bank acccount number in America so he can transfer his millions of dollars in family wealth.

Paul Harvey is a sad and senile old man. His stories often misinform and HURT the pro-gun movement. Retire already, Paul.

-Wolf
  • Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    A lot of his "reports" are tongue-in-cheek satires rather than factual. At the end of those, he always has a barely perceptible giggle in his sign off.

Perhaps the 2" Colt Python he made mention of was more of a satirical reference to all of the small nail clippers, nail files, cuticle scissors etc. that the screeners are busily confiscating from travelers.

I might take it to mean that he feels since guns are pretty easy to detect and since they're not finding them, they now look to other everyday and innocuous objects as being possibly lethal. So in addition to gun control, we also need manicure control as well. Just wondering out loud. Who knows? He is getting up in the years though but a lot of good radio stuff over the years.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    He mentioned at the end of his "Python" spiel something about it being worth 5000 bucks. Inflation continues unabated.
  • dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe he was probably referring to the swiss mini gun, which is a copy of a Python that is smaller than 2" in length. It is made by Swiss watch makers, and actually fires. The muzzle energy is about .8 ft/lb. They have closed their website due to the uproar over it in the US.
  • Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    That makes sense. I saw that little Swiss gun "linked to" many times here on GB threads. Also, the NAA .22 short mini revolver is truly diminutive.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Excellent;
    I came into the broadcast right at the end....but hoped that Harvey was not as ignorant as the last couple sentences yesterday indicated.
  • whompusswhompuss Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that gun control means hitting your target.

I grew up strong, working on a farm. Few men were my equal. Now at age 64 I suffer from advanced osteoarthritis, my spine contains as much titanium as bone. I cannot lift over 40# but I can drive nails at 25 yards with my Glock 26 with aftermarket ported barrel. I am able to protect my wife, a stroke victim. Without my handgun I would be a victim rather than a citizen. I am an avid collector, owning more than 50 items. All of them combined have killed less people than Ted Kennedy's Oldsmobile.
    Now, with my Glock, few men are my equal. QED.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whompuss, as they say, x-ring.

"Fear no man, regardless of his size. Just call on me and I will EQUALIZE."