In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Building a gun

ingramsnakeingramsnake Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
Can i legally build a semi auto sten gun in CT without registering it?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't understand why i can't build a semi auto sten gun? It's not full auto therefore it's not a machine gun and it's not on the list of assult weapons nor does it fall under the definition of an assult weapon. Also does the AMD 65 fall under AK type? Here is the CT assult weapon law :

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    (3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

I don't know exactly which Sten Gun variant you are talking about, but most I've seen have a a pistol grip and some sort of folding or collapsable stock. Some are mounted with flash-hiders and silencer threads.

The BATFE is typically not too accomodating to "cottage" gunsmiths. Between the Feds and the state authorities you could be entwined in a whole lot of red tape. With an over-zealous DA or Attorney General you could even serve jail time, even if it turns out you are utlimately within your legal rights.

In my experience, the government always wins out when it comes to "gray areas". It just depends on how much you are willing to spend on legal fees and loss of personal freedom.

-Wolf
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    back in my younger days a friend had an *ahem* "not legal" sten

fun gun to shoot, he bought it for about $80.

Looking back, I shouldn't have been anywhere near that thing, if I was caught I would have spent the better part of my twenties in club fed [xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the insight guys. I'm asking a lot of questions because like the rest of us i don't want to get into a legal battle. I actually plan on applying for a ffl,class 3 dealers, and machinest license. I want to see what i can build and what i can't legally without the licenses. What if it has a wood stock like the MK IV?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=
    http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net/sten%20gun%20reduced.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net
    /photo2520gallery.htm&h=544&w=724&sz=125&hl=en&start=9&tbnid=
    4gbQlTDUI2IiJM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=140&prev=
    /images%3Fq%3Dsten%2Bgun%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My advice, consult the BATFE and your state's Attorney General Firearms Division about any plans you have to manufacture a firearm. Even if you get the okay from BATFE, you may still be in violation of your state law, which is probably more restrictive than Federal law in this matter.

If you somehow do get these entities to sign off on your plan, GET IT IN WRITING. That may help you if the day comes when you have to defend your actions in court.

-Wolf
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't it kinda ironic that since the AWB expired, there has NOT been an increase in violent crime, as the liberals in the media promised?

We should all be using this as an argument in favor of repealing more gun laws.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The Second Amendment stands on its own. No argument need be made for..or against...violent crime.

Straying into that field weakens the Right.

Those pukes that don't LIKE the Second have a clear path to
    fixing the problem. Repeal it...it only takes 2/3's of the states.

The NRA and EVERY OTHER so-called "Pro-Gun" organization that argues ANY other stand then a clear, unambigous interpetation of thAT stand...is NO FRIEND of the Second...or those of us that actually BELIVE in freedom.
  • Options
    ScarfaceScarface Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:"Ingramsnake, BEWARE this could happen to you" [:D]
    Avery.Calumet%20County,%20Wis.%20Jail,%20shows%20Steven%20Avery%20in%20a%20booking%20photo%20at%20the%20jail%20Wednesday,%20Nov.%209,%202005,%20in%20Chilton,%20Wis.jpg
  • Options
    ScarfaceScarface Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:"Kinnda dull, ain't it?"
    jackson.jail.1.jpg