In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

OHIO Concealed Carry VETO OVERIDE

oooldmanoooldman Member Posts: 27 ✭✭

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Thanks to the grassroots efforts of our great state's firearm owners, Ohioans For Concealed Carry is pleased to announce that the Ohio Senate has voted to override Governor Taft's veto of HB347, the first override of an Ohio governor's veto since 1977.
    From some, congrats are in order. [:D]
    From others, sad, another state turning a "right" into a "revocable" privilege. [V]
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    quote:Thanks to the grassroots efforts of our great state's firearm owners, Ohioans For Concealed Carry is pleased to announce that the Ohio Senate has voted to override Governor Taft's veto of HB347, the first override of an Ohio governor's veto since 1977.
    From some, congrats are in order. [:D]
    From others, sad, another state turning a "right" into a "revocable" privilege. [V]

Your are correct of course. However, with the way I look at things there is reason for a lot of hope. Long ago the anti-gun crowd has pretty much destroyed any widespread thought that owning a firearm is a "right". It is too late for us pro-gunners to launch a counter-attack in a direct effort to turn back their success.

However, as more and more states and citizens realize and see the rightness and value of common citizens carrying a gun, my hope that widespread public opinon will swing back to the long lost idea that it is the right of each and ever peaceful, lawful citizen to own and carry firearms.

My hope is that the knowledge and example alone that thousands and thousands of common citizens, unlike in the past, are now legally carrying a firearm each and every day, and doing so in a safe and sane manner, will cause the majority of Americans to lose their fear of those common citizens and their firearms. And if we are lucky, some of those common citizens will use their firearms to stop violent criminals in their tracks and get nationwide news for doing that good deed.

If and when the above happens, maybe then we can all look again to our federal and state constitutions and realize and admit what powerful and sweeping firearm ownship rights have been there all along. Or once again understand that the basic right of a lawful citizen having the means (firearm, etc) of defending their family, themselves and their property, is a right that should never be infringed upon even with or without the constitution (s).
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:My hope is that the knowledge and example alone that thousands and thousands of common citizens, unlike in the past, are now legally carrying a firearm each and every day, and doing so in a safe and sane manner, will cause the majority of Americans to lose their fear of those common citizens and their firearms.
    No.
    What is being proved is that without government vetting and approval of character, a Right is not to be exercised.
    Proof ? The constant drumbeat RIGHT HERE on Gunbroker...of people accusing those of us resisting verbally endless goverment intrusions into private lives of citizens of being criminals..."Something to hide" is the popular term from the brain-dead slaves....

Witness the full auto owners attack upon us...."Your cannot pass the background check, so you resent those of us that can" crapola...

NO...from this decade forward, the only force capable of restoring Rights to America have agreed that Rights may not be enjoyed without goverment permission.

We have met the enemy...and he is us.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The link below is the bill.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=126_HB_347

A couple of points:

1. This does not appear to be a 'Shall Issue' bill, at least I could not find that wording. If it is not 'Shall Issue', it is meaningless.

2. Scrolling down to the application, the applicant is asked to confirm that:
    '(2) I desire a legal means to carry a concealed handgun for defense of myself or a member of my family while engaged in lawful activity.'

This anti-vigilante statement is designed to do what? Ensure that the evil CC License holder does not come to the aid of a stranger in distress?

This comes across as a benevolent Big Brother granting a supplicant populace permission to ask nicely for the privilege of protecting themselves and their family but, obviously, no one else. This bill should have been vetoed, but not I suspect, for the reasons that it was.

I grudgingly accept that, living in a 'Shall Issue' state, I have to confirm my height, weight, address, and eye color every four years. I do know, however, that absent any violent crime convictions on my part, the concealed carry permit by law will be issued within a week. Ohio still has a long way to go.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    Ohio CCW is where it is today largely because of the efforts of guys like Keith Faber. This Ohio Rep. Even took time to keep every interested party informed of the day to day progress.
    Ohio unlike a lot of states, Ohio also has a few Democrats that support Gun Owners. It is unfortunate that we "STILL HAVE" a Governor that don't. At least Taft and his 6% approval rating is gone. Thank God!!!
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball

What is being proved is that without government vetting and approval of character, a Right is not to be exercised.
    Proof ? The constant drumbeat RIGHT HERE on Gunbroker...of people accusing those of us resisting verbally endless goverment intrusions into private lives of citizens of being criminals..."Something to hide" is the popular term from the brain-dead slaves....

Witness the full auto owners attack upon us...."Your cannot pass the background check, so you resent those of us that can" crapola...

NO...from this decade forward, the only force capable of restoring Rights to America have agreed that Rights may not be enjoyed without goverment permission.

We have met the enemy...and he is us.

Excellent point, Highball. I must say that without somebody like you leading the way, I too would have blindly accepted the "background checks", etc. I now realize that stuff like that is a major attack on the gun owners. I don't support any form of gun registration or permits any more.

I have always been in favor of private citizens being able to own any gun they wanted. After reading your posts, however, I now recognize that no background check, or permit to carry should be tolerated. No Class III paperwork. No Form 4473. No waiting periods. No FFLs. They are repugnant to the Constitution.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Dsmith;
    'Conventional wisdom' is almost always wrong. That being...what seems 'good'..but only on the surface.

The gun grabbing Elites have used some pretty sophisticated tactics to entrap gun owners into actually THENSELVES working tirelessly for gun control....witness the NRAs' "Project Exile"...CCWs...while they slap each other on the back and chuckle happily.

My questions to CCW holders almost ALWAYS show a sense of "Well..I am safe with a gun....but what about YOU..??"

Divide and conquer.