In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ga gun laws

the1the1 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
Does anyone know what the current Georgia gun laws are? My concealed weapons permit expired a couple of weeks ago so do I need to go back to the courthouse and go through all the bs again? I had it for 5 years, it slipped up on me. However, do I still have to keep ammo seperate from the firearm in my car if my CC permit expired? OR, did that law change. I really only had the permit to speed up purchases which were instant for a pistol if I had my permit with me, no waiting period.

So do I need to pull my weapons from my automobiles or can I still keep them concealed with ammo in them even without my permit?

Of course once I get my new permit renewed I am good to go either way.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brother, if you are asking for legal advice from total strangers- you have at LEAST 2 problems!!!! Check packing.org for info, but to cut to the chase- if you do not have a current license, I don't think you have a license. Period. Better get in touch with your licensing authority pronto, and don't be found carrying without it- in a lot of states that will prevent you from getting the permit. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are correct. But, I never carried on my person concealed. Just in the car.
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off let me say, if you had s CCP, you should already be intimately familiar with the law. If the permit is not current OR in possession (on your body), you DON"T have one, PERIOD. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00.

If you let it expire, there is NO grace period. If you allowed your permit to expire it's dead. Now you start all over. New fingerprint card, full fee, background check and 3-4 months (or more, 6 for my girlfriend) waiting for a new one. Since 01 July the full background check is required every 5 years. Gone are the days of the $15.00, new thumb print and <30 day renewal. Even a renewal requires $25.00 Full background check now. Gone as well are the days of the local checks for renewal.

FYI .. BYA:

With a Georgia or Reciprocal State's permit:
    You may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.

No Georgia permit (but wouldn't be denied from obtaining one) or a permit from a non-reciprocal state(and not listed as one of the ineligible):
    You can transport a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle.
    Also you can also carry your firearm enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition.

If you are not eligible to obtain a Georgia Firearms License:
    You can carry a firearm open and exposed to view or outside of reach.

This should get you through the weekend but, I am not your lawyer. I take no responsibility for what you do with this information. As advised by 11b6r, check the laws yourself and get a new card.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I do know that in my county they do not do "renewal" license anymore. Even if your current license has not expired you still have to go through all the bs again. Thanks for the response.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And by the way, YES, I already new that if it expired, it was gone, nada, over. I am not an idiot.