In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Maryland Assualt Weapon Ban

rock,roll,n,loadrock,roll,n,load Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
2007 Assault weapons ban coming soon!!!
The 2007 Maryland Gun Ban is a crystal ball into what the anti-gun crowd is planning for National legislation in 2008. We need to hold the line and not take even one step backwards in protecting our second amendment freedoms.
Hunting rifle enthusiasts may not think that this ban applies to them. That's dead wrong. All semi-automatic firearms & their ammunition are under attack. In addition the number of firearms you own is under attack. This is regardless of the type of action the firearm uses.

We were all surprised when the 1994 gun ban took effect and most of us sat by and watched it happen. NOT THIS TIME. It appears that this battle is starting in Maryland but will quickly move to other states and eventually, the nation.

WE NEED YOUR HELP!! Use this page as a resource center to fight anti-gun extremists. Below is a list of senators to contact and tell them how you feel about the pending anti-gun/hunting legislation. DO NOT WAIT.

Click here to download a .pdf explaining the pending legislation and who you can contact to stop it.

Proposed Banned Items What you can do to stop it?
1. All semi-automatic loading firearms.

2. The limit of ammunition you can legally own.

3. Any firearm that does not have a legitimate "Sporting Purpose".
4. Detachable magazine firearms.

5. Transporting an "assault weapon" into the State or possessing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, or receiving an assault weapon.

" If I could have gotten 51 votes for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, I would have done it."
-U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein

1. Email this page to everyone you know and ask them to visit.

2. Send a respectful email or letter to the senators sponsoring the bill

http://mlis.state.md.us/2007RS/bills/sb/sb0043f.pdf - ACTUAL BILL 43

The list of cosponsors and their contact info (phone numbers and email addresses) is below. Please contact each and every one of them *especially* if you are in their District, but even if you are not, and let them know you don't appreciate them trying to infringe on your rights. Below this list is a sample letter you can cut and paste - use all or parts of it as you like.

MSI Member Phil writes:
"... every 100 calls or letters is thought to truely represent the voice of 50,000 voters. The research says that for every person that bothers to contact their representative, there were likely 500 who felt the same way but didn't bother to write or call. The point is that every single call or letter to an official is very important. A few dozen or hundred calls tells them there are thousands who feel the same way. The radio show talker said representatives think this way.

I think many people don't bother writing or calling because they feel "What will "one" call do? It won't really make a difference".

Food for thought."

Mike Lenett (19)
410-841-3151
mike.lenett@senate.state.md.us

Gwendolyn Britt (42)
410-841-3745
gwendolyn.britt@senate.state.md.us

Joan Carter Conway (43)
410-841-3145
joan.carter.conway@senate.state.md.us

Ulysses Currie (25)
410-841-3127
ulysses.currie@senate.state.md.us

Nathaniel Exum (24)
410-841-3148
nathaniel.exum@senate.state.md.us

Jennie Forehand (17)
410-841-3134
jennie.forehand@senate.state.md.us

Brian Frosh (16)
410-841-3124
brian.frosh@senate.state.md.us

Rob Garagiola (15)
410-841-3169
rob.garagiola@senate.state.md.us

Lisa Gladden (41)
410-841-3697
lisa.gladden@senate.state.md.us

Verna Jones (44)
410-841-3612
verna.jones@senate.state.md.us

Delores Kelley (10)
410-841-3606
delores.kelley@senate.state.md.us

Rona Kramer (14)
410-841-3625
rona.kramer@senate.state.md.us

Richard Madaleno (18)
410-841-3137
richard.madaleno@senate.state.md.us

Nathaniel McFadden (45)
410-841-3138
nathaniel.mcfadden@senate.state.md.us

Anthony Muse (26)
410-841-3092
anthony.muse@senate.state.md.us

Paul Pinsky (22)
410-841-3155
paul.pinsky@senate.state.md.us

Catherine Pugh (40)
410-841-3656
catherine.pugh@senate.state.md.us

Jamie Raskin (20)
410-841-3634
jamie.raskin@senate.state.md.us

James Robey (13)
410-841-3572
james.robey@senate.state.md.us

Jim Rosapepe (21)
410-841-3141
jim.rosapepe@senate.state.md.us

Bobby Zirkin (11)
410-841-3131
bobby.zirkin@senate.state.md.us

******** SAMPLE LETTER BELOW**************
Dear Senator XXXX,

Re: SB 43

_o I'm sure you are familiar with the requirements of our Maryland Constitution:

ARTICLE IX, SECTION 1. The General Assembly shall make, from time to time, such provisions for organizing, equipping and disciplining the Militia, as the exigency may require, and pass such Laws to promote Volunteer Militia organizations as may afford them effectual encouragement.

_o I'm sure you are familiar with the US Code (Title 10, Sec. 311, U.S.C.) which defines the militia: "The Militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age..." This is not every able-bodied male living in D.C., this is everyone in the United States.

_o I'm sure you are familiar with the landmark 2nd Amendment Supreme Court case US v. Miller (1939) which said:
_gThe signification attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. _eA body of citizens enrolled for military discipline._f And further, that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time._h [emphasis added]

_o I'm sure you know that the service weapon commonly in use at this time are the 'assault weapons' you propose to ban.

_o I'm sure you remember the Maryland State Police last year testifying AGAINST the Assault Weapons Ban.

_o I'm sure you are familiar with the two federally-funded studies which showed that there was no reduction in crime from federal or state Assault Weapons Bans or similar laws.

CDC 2003 "The Task Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws or combinations of laws reviewed on violent outcomes." http://www.cdc.gov/mmwR/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm

and NRC 2004 "The National Academy of Sciences issued a 328-page report based on 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications, a survey of 80 different gun-control laws and some of its own independent study. In short, the panel could find no link between restrictions on gun ownership and lower rates of crime, firearms violence or even accidents with guns." http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42167

_o I'm sure you appreciate the fact that without military-style guns in the hands of civilians we wouldn't even be here today. There would not have been sufficient protection of Maryland without the Minutemen guarding our state in WWII. There would not have been sufficient trained marksmen to provide the soldiers for WWI or WWII. We could not have won a fight for independence against the British.

_o So what I am not sure of is why you would support legislation that is not wanted; is not effective in reducing crime (in fact just the opposite); is unconstitutional; and is contrary to your oath of office. It appears that as legislators you are willing to make more laws for us to follow but you are not willing to follow the laws of the state that you took an oath to uphold.

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rock,roll,n,load

2007 Assault weapons ban coming soon!!!
    The 2007 Maryland Gun Ban is a crystal ball into what the anti-gun crowd is planning for National legislation in 2008. We need to hold the line and not take even one step backwards in protecting our second amendment freedoms.
    Hunting rifle enthusiasts may not think that this ban applies to them. That's dead wrong. All semi-automatic firearms & their ammunition are under attack. In addition the number of firearms you own is under attack. This is regardless of the type of action the firearm uses.

We were all surprised when the 1994 gun ban took effect and most of us sat by and watched it happen. NOT THIS TIME. It appears that this battle is starting in Maryland but will quickly move to other states and eventually, the nation.

WE NEED YOUR HELP!! Use this page as a resource center to fight anti-gun extremists. Below is a list of senators to contact and tell them how you feel about the pending anti-gun/hunting legislation. DO NOT WAIT.

Click here to download a .pdf explaining the pending legislation and who you can contact to stop it.

Proposed Banned Items What you can do to stop it?
    1. All semi-automatic loading firearms.

2. The limit of ammunition you can legally own.

3. Any firearm that does not have a legitimate "Sporting Purpose".
    4. Detachable magazine firearms.

5. Transporting an "assault weapon" into the State or possessing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, or receiving an assault weapon.

" If I could have gotten 51 votes for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, I would have done it."
    -U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein

1. Email this page to everyone you know and ask them to visit.

2. Send a respectful email or letter to the senators sponsoring the bill

http://mlis.state.md.us/2007RS/bills/sb/sb0043f.pdf - ACTUAL BILL 43

The list of cosponsors and their contact info (phone numbers and email addresses) is below. Please contact each and every one of them *especially* if you are in their District, but even if you are not, and let them know you don't appreciate them trying to infringe on your rights. Below this list is a sample letter you can cut and paste - use all or parts of it as you like.

MSI Member Phil writes:
    "... every 100 calls or letters is thought to truely represent the voice of 50,000 voters. The research says that for every person that bothers to contact their representative, there were likely 500 who felt the same way but didn't bother to write or call. The point is that every single call or letter to an official is very important. A few dozen or hundred calls tells them there are thousands who feel the same way. The radio show talker said representatives think this way.

I think many people don't bother writing or calling because they feel "What will "one" call do? It won't really make a difference".

Food for thought."

Mike Lenett (19)
    410-841-3151
    mike.lenett@senate.state.md.us

Gwendolyn Britt (42)
    410-841-3745
    gwendolyn.britt@senate.state.md.us

Joan Carter Conway (43)
    410-841-3145
    joan.carter.conway@senate.state.md.us

Ulysses Currie (25)
    410-841-3127
    ulysses.currie@senate.state.md.us

Nathaniel Exum (24)
    410-841-3148
    nathaniel.exum@senate.state.md.us

Jennie Forehand (17)
    410-841-3134
    jennie.forehand@senate.state.md.us

Brian Frosh (16)
    410-841-3124
    brian.frosh@senate.state.md.us

Rob Garagiola (15)
    410-841-3169
    rob.garagiola@senate.state.md.us

Lisa Gladden (41)
    410-841-3697
    lisa.gladden@senate.state.md.us

Verna Jones (44)
    410-841-3612
    verna.jones@senate.state.md.us

Delores Kelley (10)
    410-841-3606
    delores.kelley@senate.state.md.us

Rona Kramer (14)
    410-841-3625
    rona.kramer@senate.state.md.us

Richard Madaleno (18)
    410-841-3137
    richard.madaleno@senate.state.md.us

Nathaniel McFadden (45)
    410-841-3138
    nathaniel.mcfadden@senate.state.md.us

Anthony Muse (26)
    410-841-3092
    anthony.muse@senate.state.md.us

Paul Pinsky (22)
    410-841-3155
    paul.pinsky@senate.state.md.us

Catherine Pugh (40)
    410-841-3656
    catherine.pugh@senate.state.md.us

Jamie Raskin (20)
    410-841-3634
    jamie.raskin@senate.state.md.us

James Robey (13)
    410-841-3572
    james.robey@senate.state.md.us

Jim Rosapepe (21)
    410-841-3141
    jim.rosapepe@senate.state.md.us

Bobby Zirkin (11)
    410-841-3131
    bobby.zirkin@senate.state.md.us

******** SAMPLE LETTER BELOW**************
    Dear Senator XXXX,

Re: SB 43

_o I'm sure you are familiar with the requirements of our Maryland Constitution:

ARTICLE IX, SECTION 1. The General Assembly shall make, from time to time, such provisions for organizing, equipping and disciplining the Militia, as the exigency may require, and pass such Laws to promote Volunteer Militia organizations as may afford them effectual encouragement.

_o I'm sure you are familiar with the US Code (Title 10, Sec. 311, U.S.C.) which defines the militia: "The Militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age..." This is not every able-bodied male living in D.C., this is everyone in the United States.

_o I'm sure you are familiar with the landmark 2nd Amendment Supreme Court case US v. Miller (1939) which said:
    _gThe signification attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. _eA body of citizens enrolled for military discipline._f And further, that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time._h [emphasis added]

_o I'm sure you know that the service weapon commonly in use at this time are the 'assault weapons' you propose to ban.

_o I'm sure you remember the Maryland State Police last year testifying AGAINST the Assault Weapons Ban.

_o I'm sure you are familiar with the two federally-funded studies which showed that there was no reduction in crime from federal or state Assault Weapons Bans or similar laws.

CDC 2003 "The Task Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws or combinations of laws reviewed on violent outcomes." http://www.cdc.gov/mmwR/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm

and NRC 2004 "The National Academy of Sciences issued a 328-page report based on 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications, a survey of 80 different gun-control laws and some of its own independent study. In short, the panel could find no link between restrictions on gun ownership and lower rates of crime, firearms violence or even accidents with guns." http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42167

_o I'm sure you appreciate the fact that without military-style guns in the hands of civilians we wouldn't even be here today. There would not have been sufficient protection of Maryland without the Minutemen guarding our state in WWII. There would not have been sufficient trained marksmen to provide the soldiers for WWI or WWII. We could not have won a fight for independence against the British.

_o So what I am not sure of is why you would support legislation that is not wanted; is not effective in reducing crime (in fact just the opposite); is unconstitutional; and is contrary to your oath of office. It appears that as legislators you are willing to make more laws for us to follow but you are not willing to follow the laws of the state that you took an oath to uphold.

Man, you gotta like the thinking in red. [:)]