In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

For Missourians

NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you live in Missouri, you know about the permit to acquire. What I was wondering, what does a Sheriff's Department do with the form when they receive it from the seller? I am writing my Sheriff, here in Jackson County, and asking him. I will share his answer but wondered if anyone else had any notions about this.

Comments

• Options
    deputydog214deputydog214 Member Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOTPARS-- I used to be a SGT with the Cass County Sheriffs Dept and still live here. Missouri has required the permit "To Aquire" forever. The old permit required you to have the make, model and caliber on the application for the permit before you purchased. Now the seller puts the info on the permit before he returns it to the Sheriffs Dept. Whats done with the firearm info is it is checked to see if it is stolen. The permits are then stored by the department. As far as the personal info you give is to check for criminal background info. Hope this answers your question. (permit is good for 30 days from "date of application". If you don't use it you must send it back marked unused.)
  • Options
    NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For deputydog214: Thanks, it does. I am contacting the SO to see how the information is stored (is there an electronic data bank for example). This could amount to a registration system if you see where I am going. Thanks for the info. By the way, I used to be a deputy with the Harford (Maryland) County S.O. Again, thanks.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My county keeps the forms in an unlocked file cabinet which disturbs me considerably. Lots of people have access to information which I would like to be private. The last time I got a permit they commented that I had more than anyone else in the file. That might have been a slight stretch but that kind of info spread around could cause problems.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deputydog214
    NOTPARS-- I used to be a SGT with the Cass County Sheriffs Dept and still live here. Missouri has required the permit "To Aquire" forever. The old permit required you to have the make, model and caliber on the application for the permit before you purchased. Now the seller puts the info on the permit before he returns it to the Sheriffs Dept. Whats done with the firearm info is it is checked to see if it is stolen. The permits are then stored by the department. As far as the personal info you give is to check for criminal background info. Hope this answers your question. (permit is good for 30 days from "date of application". If you don't use it you must send it back marked unused.)

Do you know Russ Mapes? Cass County Deputy Sheriff and Karate Instructor?
  • Options
    deputydog214deputydog214 Member Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr fox: I know who he is but we aren't associates. My tenure with the SO ended back in '85. However I still serve "Special Process" for the Prosecutors Office so I see alot of the Deputies.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deputydog214
    tr fox: I know who he is but we aren't associates. My tenure with the SO ended back in '85. However I still serve "Special Process" for the Prosecutors Office so I see alot of the Deputies.

Roger that. Thanks for the come back. I worked with (for) him for a few years doing contract government security work. Seemed like a pretty good guy. Always treated me like a king.