In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Last of the Zumbo threads

codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
We have seen in the past week how very fragile our bonds are with our selected "mouthpieces"-those we put in a position of authority espousing them with some index of the term expert in their chosen disciplines.

I did not know Jim Zumbo personally. I had likely read his work in passing at the local barber shop in Outdoor Life or some such type of hunting magazine.Not being an elk hunter, he is little more than unknown to me. Yet, despite this, I felt compelled to join the other wolves on the prowl and issue forth an opinion on his comments regarding semi-auto,military-styled, rifles. I admit, I wasn't making a full-on meal of it-but I tasted. My comments were along the lines of the fact that in moments of weakness and without much forethought, the true essence of our feelings comes out. Sorta like being really drunk. If you have little control over what you are saying, something very close to the truth (or at least unadulterated feelings) comes forth.

I feel bad for Jim Zumbo. His long and distinguished career is over. It is unrecoverable.I feel a slight twinge of guilt for ostracizing him (very slight) I believe he had some degree of it coming.I believe we have to live with our mistakes-he is living with his.

Many see this as a sign that America's gun owners are not asleep at the wheel. I only saw the slightest indication of that. I saw how efficiently the sharks smell blood in the water, and come to the source. I saw the best and worst of it. The worst was how quickly this guy was crucified. The best also was how quickly this guy was crucified. I only wish that collectively we could treat similar transgressions from those on the WRONG side of the debate the same, with the same level of disdain. I find it hard to believe we will.

After all, there is still a new "assault weapons" ban moving thru Congress, there are multitudes of local and state anti second amendment laws working their way through the system to take their place of shame and uselessness alongside the 20,000 other gun laws that currently effect no one but you and I. If America's gun owners weren't asleep at the wheel, I don't know what we are. We write our reps, we send money to NRA-ILA, GOAL, GOA, JFPO, et al, yet the juggernaut barely slows. Are we truly the minority? Most of the people I socialize with feel the same way I do about alot of things. Problem with that is I won't socialize with people who don't as a general rule. Those I don't agree with, yet see socially, are at least able to articulate some modicum of intelligent debate without turning shrill over it. I have little tolerance for much more than that.

If we weren't so apathetic about our diminishing rights, those who propose the legslation infringing on those rights would be afraid to do what they do. If those who continually made steps to limit or take away those rights met with some ill fate,untimely bad luck, or career suicide, it sends a message to the others. Obtuse as some may be, they may actually get this message. If they were met at every turn with the same disdain and intolerance they display towards our freedoms, they may get the message. I don't think they can be educated to the error of their ways. I do believe they can have the consequences of their ways outlined for them, demonstrated to them so they are properly treated for their negative behavior. Sorta like the dog who gets the paper for messing the floor. Problem is this dog isn't messing the floor, he's biting the neighbor kids.

Comments

• Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Joined in and the feeding frenzy WAS ugly. (I smoked mine, not much for raw meat.)

I think he deserved everything he got and he really deserved more. What grates my last nerve are the people who are apologizing to and for him.

If anyone should have known better than to post remarks like it would be a man of his background and experience. True colors are imposable to hide, and not being one of his greatest fans, I must wonder what else went to print in the last 40 years?

Check this out. I totally agree with Phil and most of you probably will as well. A Must Read For Everyone, Gun Owners AND Especially Non Gun Owners.

Phil Elmore is RIGHT ON with this article.
    Calling All Fudds: The Zumboing of Zumbo and the RKBA

http://www.themartialist.com/index.htm
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This reminds me of why I don't give money to hunting orginizations. A lot of hunters will talk about rights when they apply to their hunting rifles, but will proudly betray the MG crowd when they get the chance.

To paraphrase Highball, we have to worry about the people who claim to be our friends more than we have to worry about the people who admit to being our enemies.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dsmith
    we have to worry about the people who claim to be our friends more than we have to worry about the people who admit to being our enemies.
    YUP. [:(!]
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I live near Cody, maybe 25 miles from Mr. Zumbo. Have tasted of this controversy by blogging on the Billings Gazette (liberal rag) coverage. This is hard, and very bittersweet. I like Zumbo's writing, and hope he recovers from this. But the response to a careless observation on his part really illustrates how us rank-and-file in the gun community will NOT tolerate compromise in the face of challenges to our @nd Amendment rights. The reaction to his statement is both proper and unfortunate, right and wrong, but it tells us much about the climate we operate in today. These are difficult times, and Jim Z. was perhaps the last guy to figure out that we all need to stick together. SASS, hunters, trap shooters, target, and even rock 'n' rollers need to stick together. It's a very unhealthy world out there.
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum River Rat.

I only wish we were as united as you think. Maybe someday soon. After all, if the hunting magazine writers will begin to realize that the 2nd is about preserving the country from tyranny and NOT hunting, we will be in much better standing.