In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

gun right ?

ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
someone i know lost their gun right back in the eighties do to a self defense case this year they was given a pardon but it did not state what rights was restored only civil and polictal rights. can some one give me info so i can look up alabama laws on this or if someone knows the answer my email is in my profile

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I was , at one time told, that a pardon is supposed to restore all rights and privlages. However, that is really up to whatever officer catches you with a gun. Some are ok with it, some are not. As one Ohio sherrif told me "you never lose a felony, even if you have a presidential pardon". I absolutely don't agree with it, but thats for another debate.In otherwords, contact your local sherrif.
    Hope this helps
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    LadyHunter;
    My opinion...ONLY.

Federal law bars anyone from owning a gun that has had a felony. Unless that was a presidental pardom...I doubt it clears the Federal books of the charge.
    Best advice is to contact some arm of the Beast..the ATF..plus the locals and find out. This is an area that I have never heard of before....
  • purectypurecty Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    look up pardon attorney on your search engne. a felon that has a presidential pardon is allowed to own guns unless it states that they cannot. it will not erase the conviction from record, but at the same time i can not be counted as a conviction, im goin through this ordeal at the present. if the crime was a violent or drug related forget it. if it was a federal charge. if it was a state charge, then if the rights were restored by state, usually they say all rights are restored except gun rights. at least thats what mine says from the govenor of va. then yoy have to petition the court in the area where you live to have state gun rights restored. now im appealing to the president for a full pardon. good luck
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank you for the responses i doubt she will get her rights back but who knows she may
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not confuse pardon with restoration of civil rights. Two different critetrs. Pardon is the equivalent of "it never happened". Restoration is :it happened, but you are better now."