In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is forever the RIGHT thing?

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
If you ever got a moving violation, do you think it would be acceptable for the following things to happen:
1 You pay higher insurance premiums for the rest of your life.
2 You have to have a "special" plate on your vehicle for life.
3 Any job you ever apply for can ask and background check for said violations. If they find one, they can atomatically disqualify you and deny any future employment.
4 you can never have a voice with lawmakers because of said violation.
5 You may never drive again, nor be in possesion of any keys for a vehicle.

I know this all sounds a tad silly, but I shall reveil what I am getting at later.

Comments

• Options
    Larry29Larry29 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    speed limits and helmet laws are nothing more than pure evil government power. Not sure where you are going, but my answer is no.
  • Options
    RobatHrlyRobatHrly Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If prison is for rehabilitation, then how can an ex-con be fully rehabilitated (paid their debt to society) if their rights aren't restored? That's how I look at it. perhaps it should be a three strikes deal where if you are sent three times, you have had your chace to assimilate back into society and then you lose your rights. I don't think it's right to ruin someone's life like that for making a mistake once as a kid. Perhaps rights should be suspended while you're in prison and then restored when you are paroled or released.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobatHrly
    If prison is for rehabilitation, then how can an ex-con be fully rehabilitated (paid their debt to society) if their rights aren't restored? That's how I look at it. perhaps it should be a three strikes deal where if you are sent three times, you have had your chace to assimilate back into society and then you lose your rights. I don't think it's right to ruin someone's life like that for making a mistake once as a kid. Perhaps rights should be suspended while you're in prison and then restored when you are paroled or released.

Seems you got what I was pointing at. I do NOT agree that a person should lose their "GOD GIVEN RIGHTS" if they have done something wrong in life. As Thomas Jefferson thought "Prison should be for punishment and rehibilitaion" as he looked at over-seas prisons(believe it was France of all places). But his point was correct. If we remove rights fromk people are we not enslaving them? I have read nothing of the founders that said"if you ever get in trouble you are not longer American or have rights". Why do people lose gun rights, the right to vote, employment oppertunities, right to housing, right to hunt, ect. But these people retain the right to the 1st amendment, to pay taxes, some other rights,but are left to be a partial person. This problem needs fixed. It makes a criminal have no other choice than to be a criminal. Perhaps this is what the government want. .... so they allways have problems to fix for us and sound like they are doing so much to help!
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    . quote: It makes a criminal have no other choice than to be a criminal. Perhaps this is what the government want. .... so they allways have problems to fix for us and sound like they are doing so much to help!

Very astute.There are other reasons why rights are not restored...and more and more laws that deprieve one of EVER owning guns again.
    What they cannot do with a frontal assualt they do with sneak attacks...
    WITH the full compliance of the soft-headed among us that believe that 'once a felon...always a felon'..that there is no chance that a person can become a decent human being after being charged as a felon.

You walk out the front door of the prison...they hand you your .45. That simple. You are a man amongst men, again..with the duty to pick up your responsibilities as a citizen.
  • Options
    mark308mark308 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those that have committed a serious felony like rape, armed burlary, etc they dont get there gun rights back period. As to those that are less than that I feel they should be returned to full status. Example, aperson carged with a felony, sentenced to probation, even has all charges dismissed and they can not own a gun. Those laws need to be changed. For all the bravado on this and other 2nd sites I dont see anybody trying to reverse these stupid laws. More gun owners can only help.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You will see absolutely NO action from ME...to change ANY laws.

Where would you start ? Any direction you look, one sees laws that are Unconstitutional.

You can break your heart, changing just ONE law...meawhile, the corrupt bas***** have made 10,000 more dpriving you of many MORE freedoms.
    No...what we need here in America is a rapid escalation of law-making..leading to a total ban on guns.

Then all the anti-gun gun owners and all the fence-sitters can decide if they are as ourtraged as I about the steady loss of freedom and Rights here in the'land of the free'...sure.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest we insist that all child rapists be forced to live within 2 blocks of elementary schools upon their release from prison, and that we eliminate the tracking and registration of said people, and provide benches upon which they can sit and offer candy to the 6 year boys and girls as they walk by.

Some people have demonstrated by their actions that they cannot be trusted. I would suggest that felony convictions for non-violent crimes may be considered, but a demonstrated propensity for violence can reasonably be considered by a society in the individual assessment of an individual.

Though sympathetic to the concept that once one has paid his debt, he should have full rights restored, the recidivism rate of violent criminals is sufficient evidence that they can be singled out for special attention.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All those speed laws are malum prohibitum, so my answer is NO WAY!!!
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have an answer to this i posted a question here the other day my little sister was convited for manslaughter in a self defense case where she was raped and beaten back in the 80's alabama didnot have a self defense law like they do now she has received a state pardon but still can't own a gun i would have to say it depends on the person and the reasons behind whatever happened
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If our justice system wasn't hopelessly corrupt..a girl killing a rapist would be called a 'Courageous Hero' (I don't like the female form of the word.)

As for vicious,violent criminals...the proper way to handle them is at the end of a rope...30 days after conviction.

Just because you do not have the courage to DEMAND swift justice for the animals that roam the streets is no reason to take rights away forever from people that have served their time and been released.

Child molesters ? I guarentdamtee there would be FAR fewer of them..if the government wasn't protecting them. Makes me wonder a LOT...about the judges and proscutors and politicians.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What I think some of you are missing is the rehibilitation. we are not supposed to release people until the paid their debt to society AND are rehibilitated. This has been the key since the founders ponderd the thought. The "once a criminal allways a criminal" is B.S.There is not one person in America who has not broke some law, however small. If were weren't kicking out gang bangers and rapists after a small stint in the pokey without rehibilitating them, w wouldn't have the repitition of offenses.

Common sense isn't so common
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, I don't think I missed 'rehabilitation'...hard labor for 'x' number of years will do wonders for the less violent criminals...and being shot at dawn will thin out the filthy perverted that pray on the weaker inmates sexually...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Oh, I don't think I missed 'rehabilitation'...hard labor for 'x' number of years will do wonders for the less violent criminals...and being shot at dawn will thin out the filthy perverted that pray on the weaker inmates sexually...

I am not argueing that the punishment that judges pass are "limp wristed", I am simply argueing, that once a person is returned to society, they should be allowed their rights returned in full.
  • Options
    mark308mark308 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You dont have to go to jail to loose youre gun rights. Simply put on probation for more than a year will do it. Even if the charges are dismissed afterwards. Little by little they have chipped away. We need some of these folks back as legal gun owners. They have a right you should all be helping them with. Some how these laws need tobe repealed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just to clarify my position on 'felons'.

Any person deemed to have served his time behind bars has paid his debt to society.
    Hand him his .45 and Rights back as he walks out the prison doors.

Those deemed too violent or vicious to release NEED to be executed or imprisoned for life.

The trial NEEDS to be carried out in a swift and speedy manner..not drug out for years.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: Just to clarify my position on 'felons'.

Any person deemed to have served his time behind bars has paid his debt to society.
    Hand him his .45 and Rights back as he walks out the prison doors.

Those deemed too violent or vicious to release NEED to be executed or imprisoned for life.

The trial NEEDS to be carried out in a swift and speedy manner..not drug out for years.

I think I am coming around more and more to this point of view. But in order for it to work, I think 4 things should happen:

1. Mandatory minimum sentencing (20 years for violent felonies, life for murder, etc.).
    2. The abolishment of parole.
    3. Either life in prison for sex offenders (although I think this should require conclusive DNA evidence) or give them a 20 year sentence and then release them into a penal colony in the middle of the desert, or on an island somewhere (essentially a life sentence).
    4. Anyone found falsely convicted of a crime should receive $1 million from the government for every year they spent incarcerated.

I have some reservations about #3 above because I think our society really needs to examine what constitutes a "sex offense". Is an 18 year old knocking up his 17 year old girlfriend equal to a 35 year old pervert molesting a 5 year old? I think not.

JMHO,
    WoundedWolf
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    The key words here have to be "reasonable" and "common sense."

Gun rights are removed from folks who are accused of threatening their spouses. If a restraining order is placed against you you can lose your gun rights. A misdemeanor charge thanks to Frank Latenberg member of the US Congress.

It used to take a Felony conviction to lose gun rights now its a much lessor charge. This is not reasonable and lacks common sense in my opinion.

Violent criminals are never rehabilited in our prison system. They learn to be more violent while in prison they learn how to avoid capture and the skills to be a more effecient criminal. Violent criminals who use a gun in a crime or kill/rape people should never get gun rights returned to them. They will never change. This is only reasonable and is good common sense!

My opinion only![:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Violent criminals who use a gun in a crime or kill/rape people should never get gun rights returned to them. They will never change. This is only reasonable and is good common sense!

I tend to agree. My only question is why such a person would ever be released from prison at all? It seems the gun rights question is a moot point in that situation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My point is this:
    Here in Indiana a local prosecutor said" You can be charged on felony charges if you steal a 25 cent candy or steal 10,000 cash. " I think there is a HUGE difference in those crimes based just on VALUE. The law doesn't see it that way. The laws get stacked against us , worse by the day. They want to throw the book at a one time offender, but give a repeat offender a pass. I agree the laws need fixing. The only real way to do this is to start from scratch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Here in Indiana a local prosecutor said" You can be charged on felony charges if you steal a 25 cent candy or steal 10,000 cash. "

I think it would depend how that candy was stolen. If it was simple shoplifting for a first-time offender, I could see a misdemeanor charge with a fine and community service. But if it was taken at gunpoint then I say it is a violent felony and give them 15 to 20 in the pen.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    If our justice system wasn't hopelessly corrupt..a girl killing a rapist would be called a 'Courageous Hero' (I don't like the female form of the word.)

As for vicious,violent criminals...the proper way to handle them is at the end of a rope...30 days after conviction.

Just because you do not have the courage to DEMAND swift justice for the animals that roam the streets is no reason to take rights away forever from people that have served their time and been released.

Child molesters ? I guarentdamtee there would be FAR fewer of them..if the government wasn't protecting them. Makes me wonder a LOT...about the judges and proscutors and politicians.

I think if us citizens had more sense, We'd shoot'em, shovel'em and shut up about'em.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    There is no provision in the BOR to take away the 2A right of anyone. Anyone who believes or advocates anything else is not a friend of 2A.I believe-as Highball does- that you should be handed your .45 on the way out the door. This works especially well in an armed society where one who decides to be a continued threat will be dealt with swiftly and accordingly. By society.

If you are too dangerous to have your rights returned, you are too dangerous to be out at all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    There is no provision in the BOR to take away the 2A right of anyone. Anyone who believes or advocates anything else is not a friend of 2A.I believe-as Highball does- that you should be handed your .45 on the way out the door. This works especially well in an armed society where one who decides to be a continued threat will be dealt with swiftly and accordingly. By society.

If you are too dangerous to have your rights returned, you are too dangerous to be out at all.

+1 I agree wholeheartedly.