In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crooked FFL dealer

troopertyreetroopertyree Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
What do you do when you have sent pistols and gun receivers to a FFL dealer gunsmith to be repaired and you cannot retrieve them?
It has been over 8 months and I was told in September that they were ready but I cannot get the man to send them.
He continually lies on a weekly basis stating that they have been sent on certain days but never receive.
This happens 3 or more times a week.
The shipping days always change and the dealer never loses his cool.
He just cannot tell the truth, it is not in him.
I have been told by several gun dealers that the man does this same thing constantly.
And none of the area dealers will have anything to do with him.
They state that he takes in such work and then sells them off at shows and from his shop.
What do you do ?
Call the ATF?
Any clues, the guy is a liar. Plain and simple, I have never heard one truthful statement from him in 8 months.
Some on let me know , I will reveal his name if anyone is interested.
It may save you some mental anguish and lots of money.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a lawyer, and nothing I am going to say should be interpreted as law.

It seems that if an FFL dealer has a reputation like this one has, it shouldn't be too hard to get him.

For example, the ATF is constantly looking for any excuse to put FFL holders out of business. If you have somebody who knowingly lies and sells guns that he didn't own, there should be plenty of evidence to convict him of something.

I suggest you get a lawyer experienced with firearm laws. Hope you didn't lose too many guns in the process. It may be easier to just cut your losses and replace the missing guns.
  • Options
    troopertyreetroopertyree Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know you would think that a FFL holder doing business in repair /Bluing/ sales etc... could be trusted?
    Not found on internet but referred to by a friend that had good dealing with him.
    Now I find out was a rare case.
    It eve got so I sent him a prepaid empty box with a label to me on it and the cash to place my things in it and take it to the mail box.
    Its not that I owe him anything, in fact he owes me a few thousand dollars plus the return of my weapons.
    And have been promised there return since August .
    So should be reported?
    Might save some more a lot of trouble.
    Anyone ever been in this corner.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call your local sheriff and they may fill out a report that these guns are stolen, attempt to retrieve them, throw dude in jail for gun thievery and justice will be served. If you give them all the details, they will certainly agree that these guns are now stolen. The instant you request them back, there should be no questions asked.
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes.
    Tell that Clown that you are going to report them as stolen to the B.A.T.F and the Local Authorities.And also put his name on all the Gun Forums.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8 months? I would have called the cops after 1 month. I suggest you call both the local authorities in HIS area as well as in YOURS. Report the items that have been stolen with the serial numbers and any photos you may have. This man is a thief.

You may contact the BATFE and they may pull his FFL, but it seems the fact that he has stolen your property is of overiding importance.

Good luck!
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is also worth considering this: You are not in trouble with the law now based on this FFL's problems. If there is ANY CHANCE WHATSOEVER that they could link YOU to any sort of gun related paperwork crime, it may be in your best interests to cut your losses, and say nothing to the ATF, lest they accuse YOU of something.

Either case, get a lawyer, and talk to the sheriff.