In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who wrote the second amendment?

2gunpete2gunpete Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
It seems to me after reading these boards that the founding fathers made it crystal clear that they meant the citizen has not only the right but the civil obligation to be be armed and ready.

For whatever ignore the facts ambiguity in the sentence that is the second amendment. The framers were literate men who commented on their intentions. I would like supporting undebatable quotes from the horses mouth per say. There has to be some plain speak quotes from these men. After all it took 150 years plus before courts and politicians decided it meant government milita only and not citizen rights to bear arms.

Comments

• Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lately I have been spending a lot of time reading the Declaration and the Constitution.

Check it out

http://www.archives.gov/national-archives-experience/charters/charters.html
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=241232

Take the time to browse down thru the quotes given...even those not related to the Second.

Spending valuble time reading government sources is sorta like asking Domres how his steak tastes...you are going to get an answer, all right..just not the COMPLETE answer you might seek.
    Unless, of course, you merely wish to confirm your belief in the beneficence of that government....
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    2gunpete, for what it is worth, I don't think any quote can be undisputed. Here is why, ever hear of the bible? People pick and choose to their liking taking things OUT of context. If you are looking o do battle with the anti gunners, they allready TWIST what the founders have said.I see what they said, in the context it was said, as undisputeable. I don't think the founders EVER forseen the debate that ensues today. They saw what they wrote as black and white, as I can see it. Most want to see things through colored glasses and see what they WANT, not what is right. I see it like this, IF you don't wants guns in your home/business, thats ok with me. Don't tell the rest of us NOT to own them, not to defend ourselves and country. That is just plain backwards.

Those rights given NEVER gave us the right to NOT be offened nor the right to REMOVE libeties because of irrational fears(as in gun rights)/fear of truth exposure(as in freedom of speach).
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    2gunpete, for what it is worth, I don't think any quote can be undisputed. Here is why, ever hear of the bible? People pick and choose to their liking taking things OUT of context. If you are looking o do battle with the anti gunners, they allready TWIST what the founders have said.I see what they said, in the context it was said, as undisputeable. I don't think the founders EVER forseen the debate that ensues today. They saw what they wrote as black and white, as I can see it. Most want to see things through colored glasses and see what they WANT, not what is right. I see it like this, IF you don't wants guns in your home/business, thats ok with me. Don't tell the rest of us NOT to own them, not to defend ourselves and country. That is just plain backwards.

Those rights given NEVER gave us the right to NOT be offened nor the right to REMOVE libeties because of irrational fears(as in gun rights)/fear of truth exposure(as in freedom of speach).

The Constitution was written at the time of the Revolutionary War. America's leaders, the same people who wrote and signed the Constitution, has just made some very powerful enemies in the King of England and his vast armies. Only a fool would doubt that the citizens right to own and bear arms, as described in the Constitution written by these same American leaders, meant that each and every loyal American have a gun. A gun that just might save those leaders, as they achieved victory for America, if their enemies came looking for them again.

For God's sakes, America had just defeated one of the most powerful countries in the world; England. Any thinking person would know that if a chance arose, England would try and even the score. So of COURSE America's leaders would desire, and demand if possible, that each and every citizen be armed. How could anyone think otherwise?
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The War of 1812 was a great example of what TR Fox said. Although our involvement came about largely as a result of the illegal restrictions called for by Britain while at war with France,.......if we would have failed at rallying once again, they would have been back attempting to make us into a colony. It took us a bit to get up to steam, but we proved again,........."Don't Tread On Me", and that finished any real thought of gaining the "colonies" back. If we had failed, wonder what the levels of massacre would have been. Ya think the old King might have wanted some serious revenge taken?[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner