I think this proves a lot of you right
This was posted over in the Politics Forum by jnormanh;
Let me define "gun nut". By that I mean someone who believes there should be no limitation of any sort whatsoever on what sort of guns may be owned by the general public, no limit as to where or when guns may be carried, no record whatsoever of gun ownership or transfers. In addition, to be a true "gun nut" (by my definition) you have to either carry concealed without professional reason, ie, you're not law enforcement, or you have to keep loaded guns in your house or vehicle because you believe you're "gonna' need to defend yourself".
If you don't fit all of the above, but you do own, or expect to own one or more guns, you're a "gun owner".
If you own no guns, but you believe it's okay for citizens to own guns, you're a "neutral".
If you own no guns, and you believe guns are so dangerous that ownership should be restricted to military and police only, you're a "gun opponent".
Me, I'm a "gun owner". I use guns for target practice and hunting. I own and shoot more guns than do 99% of gun owners. For many years I had an FFL, so the g'mint (ATF) knows who I am and what guns I own. That doesn't bother me at all. If I had to get a license to own or keep guns, that wouldn't bother me at all. I already have a license to drive, my dog has a license, I have a license to practice my profession. No problem. My car is registered, and if I had a boat or airplane, they'd be registered too. No problem.
I see no reason I can't continue to own guns for target shooting and hunting. I'm no danger to anyone. I don't own a self-defense weapon, my dog handles that chore. I never load a gun in a house or vehicle, in fact my guns are not even in the same building with ammo.
I don't carry my own parachute in commercial airplanes either.
I want to be able to continue to own guns, but all of you who belong to the other three groups threaten that. True gun opponents, although they are not a very large group, are very loud. However they are a small group and don't carry a lot of weight.
Neutrals are a fairly large group, but they usually don't get involved. The danger however is that neutrals can be converted to being gun opponents. If that happens, it will be caused by the gun nuts, and it's that group to whom I'd like to appeal.
First of all, let me make it clear that I don't care, personally, what you do, but I do care when you scare the beejeebus ouf ot neutrals and thereby convert them into gun opponents. So, gun nuts, let me ask you to do a few simple things to help us all.
1. Don't ride around the WalMart parking lot with long guns in a pickup rack unless you're going hunting. Neutrals wonder what you're up to.
2. If you can't resist carrying, make sure it's CONCEALED. It isn't cool to stand in the line at McDonalds with the butt of a pistola showing. It scares the neutrals.
3. Resist claiming that more guns is the answer to everything. Requiring all students and teachers to carry because a frootloop shot up a school is frightening to the neutrals.
4. If you keep loaded weaons in your home, don't whip out your 1911 and wave it around every time you have guests. It scares the neutrals. Hell, it scares me. Don't even tell anyone you have a Glock under the pillow. You can show it to the drug-crazed rapist when HE shows up.
5. Stop claimimg in public that there's a "conspiracy" afoot to take our guns away, even if you think there is one. Discuss it in private with your like-minded friends. When you talk about conspiracies in public, you scare the neutrals. Hell, you might scare them into becoming gun opponents. A gun nut once almost scared me into being a gun opponent. He told me that he had "proof" that "they" were arming and practicing military tactics to "take over" the USA. He and his buddies were getting ready for "them". They had caches of guns, ammo, silver coins and food. I asked him who "they" were. He said it was "The N*****s. Man, he was scary.
Thanks for your attention.
I am now convinced that most gun owners would sell their neighbor to BATFE for 50 bucks if they felt like this guy does. They are convinced that they are "safe" because the beloved Government ALLOWS them to keep their non-threatening, non-defense, trigger locked, ammo locked away, no magazine hunting shotgun and rifle in a safe.
It is amazing to see how utterly ignorant these ideas are; yet they are posted on a GUN FORUM. Our founding fathers would roll in their graves if they read stuff like the post this guy put out for the world to see.
The Second amendment and this entire country is doomed with people thinking like this guy does.
TO the hard-liners of this forum. You are CORRECT!