In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What does the Second Amendment mean ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Aaron.Combs1Aaron.Combs1 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i know that was not its intention, however i was stating that if groups with ideas can come together and make laws etc... than why cant we. yes we may not be sucessful, but it is better than doing nothing at all. like i said, it was just a thought.
  • Options
    Fatboy livesFatboy lives Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jnormanh
    There are lots of opinins as to what the 2nd means, but there's only one opinion which counts, that of the Supreme Court. All other opinions are worthless.

You really think so do you. I'd say the opinion of a few million armed citizens would trump the SCOTUS. Would you not. Basically to read the writings of the founders, and come up with any idea contray to what is being said by the posters here regarding the 2nd amendment, would show not an interest in the constitution, but rather an interest in their ones own political leanings.
  • Options
    Aaron.Combs1Aaron.Combs1 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes i do, but as said before, that would be highly unlikely. Though many of us would like to see that happen, it will not unless something drastic happens, and America as a whole (for the most part) rises up against the government and what it is. For now, i think that we need to fight fire with fire. If the government is trying to strip away our freedoms with politics and back door tactics, then we need to infect their politics with our politics. Sadly politics is the only thing that Capitol Hill will listen to now days.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    HighBall: Thanks for the post!

Something that has always bothered me, but I have never seen discussed about the Second amendment, is the part: "...Well-regulated..."

Seems to me that if you look into old English shotguns, or Drillings, and custom BigBores made for Safari use, you run into verbiage like " ...regulated to hit the same point of aim as the other barrel"

Now, can't "well-regulated" mean that the Militia should be able to shoot well? That would logically fit well within the verbiage of the Second Amendment.

I also read somewhere recently that "the Militia" in those days referred to "ALL ABLE-BODIED MEN (emphasis mine)who were not in the Army or other organized group of men at arms, ie the farmers, and countrymen of appropriate age".

Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    " Well regulated" means exactly what you think it does...citizens trained and prepared to resist invasion and tyranny.

The garbage we swim in today don't know their head from a hole in the ground...that empty space matching what is in between their ears.

the unorganized Militia IS indeed written into law..you ARE a member of the Militia unless you belong to the Federal Government...or are not an American. That simple.

One of the telling blows the Founders struck was to delineate that NO Federal Offical was to be a member of the Unorganized Militia..the purpose being they did NOT want that force to be taken over by a strong central government.
    WHY ???

BECUASE THEY KNEW that government by their NATURES go bad...and they were detemined to prevent that.
    The brain-dead masses of today don't know..and they don't CARE...