In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

9th Amendment of the Bill Of Rights

nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
I have been reading all the historic documents I can get my hands on. Most are rubbish; however the BOR is very concise and powerful in its meaning. The people that wrote this were obviously direct and to the point (NO B.S.)

In my opinion, Amendment 9 is the concrete that holds the entire BOR together.

Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

I interpret the meaning of this to further solidify that out rights have been stolen from us by the people that we call our government. I see no other interpretation !

I am curious what everyone else thinks ?????
Abort Cuomo

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    it seems that BOR has been nothing more than just a historical document for a while now, especially when it comes to the rights of the majority. i understand that a lot of safety has been built in to protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority but now we've got it vice versa and 9A just makes a good point of it. or maybe i just have a slanted view.

ps. while i do agree that a lot of historic docs aren't too clear and to the point but that was their way of getting ideas to the public. nowdays people just aren't interested in anything but themselves. maybe it's just CA, maybe it's just the Gay Bay Area -- most of people here do complain about high taxes and libs are taking over and how badly it reflects on their own well being but they don't understand for the most part that in order to better their lives they have to contribute something first.

well, the more i think about it, the more i understand that Heinlein did have the right idea in "starship troopers", pretty much about everything.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly ... it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated." -- Thomas Paine.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have received the Government and the rules we wanted. We prove it every time we go to the polls. When we got real change in DC in 1992 we learned a very painful lesson. There is no real change in DC; it is corrupt and could care less about what you want or think.

The BOR is also useless; they are words on a document that if lost would not make any difference in our lives.

The majority have voted time and again. Their concern is over gay marriage, abortion, the N word illegal rights and other hip issues. These cool issues are far more important to them than some stupid meaning in a old document.

Freedom ain't free, and; we are not either, we are at the mercy of our elected masters and they could care less about the BOR.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All comments,.......sad,.....but TRUE![:(]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester

In my opinion, Amendment 9 is the concrete that holds the entire BOR together.

Amendment IX
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

I interpret the meaning of this to further solidify that out rights have been stolen from us by the people that we call our government. I see no other interpretation !

I believe it means as follows:
    Although SOME rights are enumberated, that does not mean WE DON"T HAVE MORE RIGHTS. In other words, just because we don't directly have a right enumberated to cross the street, that does not remove the fact we have a RIGHT to cross the street. Remember back in the day , there was MUCH disagreement as to WHAT rights SHOULD be ENUMBERATED. SOME people wanted MANY more rights enumberated. They all settled on what we have. That means to me we have many rights that are NOT enumberated.
  • Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    freemind:

I live in the country and even I have heard of "Jaywalking"!! Anything else you want to suggest that hasn't been infringed???
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember somewhere back, maybe in college poli sci, that this amendment was basically saying that one amendment in the BOR cannot be used as a pretext for denying another amendment. So basically you can't say to someone that they have no rights under X amendment because Y amendment has revoked those rights.

Yet this has perplexed me because the Fifth Amendment is applied exactly as such...

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

In our society, if you are convicted under due process of law then you are up poop creek and have no rights.

Comments?
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Nice to see awakenings.
    The majority prefer the 'head in the sand' position...much more comfortable that way.
    One doesn't have to feel diminished, waiting for enough tyranny to finally make enough people angry enough to make a difference...

Talking about prisoners and rights...during the course of imprisonment, there should be very few rights....those perhaps being limited to freedom from being abused or killed by other prisoners or guards.
    Given the days that the BOR was written, the Founders knew that news traveled slowly..that a person released from prison could travel a couple of days and be out of the area where the crime was committed...and the people that knew about it.
    Giving that person a brand new start at life...
  • Automatic_ftpAutomatic_ftp Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WoundedWolf--

It's a bit of a reach to say someone convicted has NO rights--the 8th Amendment, just to name one off the top of my head, still applies, as does the Fifth's prohibition of double jeopardy.

Also, the Fifth Amendment itself is not depriving someone of rights under any other amendment, or any other Article of the Constitution. The Fifth Amendment simply explains how someone may be deprived of rights by the government--namely, the rights to life, liberty, and property. No right is absolute, and any of them may be taken away in certain circumstances. The Fifth Amendment requires "due process of law" to secure a conviction, at which point the convicted person may indeed be deprived of various rights.

Best Regards,

Bob
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the implied rights clause. It takes away ambiguity to the notion that we have enumerated rights, in the same structure are the enumeration of the Constitution.

The rest of the rights implied on the BoR are the ones not necessary to ensure freedom, which is why listing them would be pointless.
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    I agree.

+1...me too