In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

California and Their lame laws

GomerpylesGomerpyles Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
Ok i'm a resident of california, but i'm a full time student in montana and cant get residency. Right now in the summer i'm doing an internship and wanting to buy a Predator Pursuit. Well i cant considering California has really retarded laws and no texas gun stores are going to have an CA compatible Ar-15. SO i was wondering if i could order an upper reciever and a stripped lower reciever then buy a lower parts kit. Would i still have to have to go through an ffl? and also they were saying if i lived here for 90 days and got residency i could buy a real AR lol. but i'm shy of like 3 days consdiering i have to go back to school in the late fall. Well any help is greately appreciated to get an AR

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you buy the receiver, stripped or not, you will need an FFL.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So is there anyway to get around this lower reciever trouble? What can i do to get an AR?
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gomerpyles
    What can i do to get an AR?

Simply put, move to another state. IF an AR is what is important, then the state you reside in really matters not. This is why I will not live in Ohio anymore. It is expensive/difficult to get a CCW and the laws there make no sense. I prefer to reside in Indiana. Problem solved.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well i need residency in another state. i cant get it in montana because i'm going to school there. i cant get it in texas where im' living because i have to head back to montana soon for school. so i'm stuck with californian residency. so moving wont help it until i'm graduated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well i need residency in another state. i cant get it in montana because i'm going to school there. i cant get it in texas where im' living because i have to head back to montana soon for school. so i'm stuck with californian residency. so moving wont help it until i'm graduated.

That situation I would say, likens itself to the law of being 21 to buy a handgun. Some thing are worth waiting for. Do NOT settle for something other than what you truely want. You won't regret the wait, just regret the act of waiting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Regarding the Straw law, when is it legal to actually re-sell a gun to a private party without it being considered violating the straw law? SO lets say if someone bought a Predator Pursuit then decided to sell it to me down the road would that be ok Prive to Private in the same state.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Regarding the Straw law, when is it legal to actually re-sell a gun to a private party without it being considered violating the straw law? SO lets say if someone bought a Predator Pursuit then decided to sell it to me down the road would that be ok Prive to Private in the same state.

As long as it was not "planned" as a future sale and was legal to own in said state . One would also want to consider state/local laws on private sales not needing to be done through a FFL.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are asking how you can break the law.
    Sorry, not going to help you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wonder if i can get a gun shop to change a gun to meet the california standard with the 10round magazine and tool to eject the clip.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you need to do a bit of reading. Start with asking the same question, though I don't really understand what your question is, on calguns.net.

If you're considering getting an AR for CA, get one in CA, it'll be CA-legal - welded on 10 round magazine, or no pistol grip, but still can't use 30 round mags, well, technically you can't, practically, if you had one, you'd have to prove in case if asked in a court of law, that you purchased it before January 1, 2000. Not to mention that only a handful of manufactures of lowers didn't get on the list, so you can't buy Bushmaster or Colt -- they are a lot more dangerous to public safety than the rest. Well, here's the law, you read it yourself:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php