In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Ignorance

Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
My parents were at a softball game yesterday and my mom told a family friend that we have a glock and a AK-47 at the house, he quickly said that a glock is made of plastic and cannot be detected by a metal detector; my mom contradidcted and he said "Oh nooo!, they're made of plastic, no metal in them...Then he said that when an AK round hits you, if it hits you in the leg it will travel up your leg into your torso and come out somewhere by your soulder....pfff what a flake, I wish I would have been there to put him down and prove him wrong.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Signs of the times, I am afraid. Stupidity and ignorance abound.

It will contribute to the ultimate loss of Amendment II. The gun-culture is dying. Those of us who remain and who remain vigilant, see the coming storm.

It is on us to educate, introduce others to the gun-culture and the constitutional restrictions on the Fed. It is only us, who must stay vocal and watchful of our government and never, ever, let pass any transgression on the 2A without raising holy hell, period.

We are all that remains standing between freedom and tyranny.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is what the Anti's count on....misinformation, lies and fear.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last guy who told me there was no metal in them got a surprise...

"No metal in Glocks???"

"Yeah. They can go through metal detectors undetected."

"Care to put your money where your mouth is??"

"Hell yeah, I do."

"Good. I happen to have a Glock with me in my car. $100.00 says it has a metal barrel, frame and many smaller parts in it made of metal. You game???"

"Uhhhh...."

"WELL???"

"Well, it wouldn't hurt to see it for myself..."

I'm sure you guys know how this ended.

Next question... I know AK rounds do not chase bones, as they have the ability to seriously damage cinder blocks, but let's assume they could. Who cares?? It's an antipersonnel rifle, meant to put bad guys down. If the 7.62x39mm Commie round could do that, I would say, "Mission Accomplished!!" Some .223's, however, have been known to do this. It isn't often that the ,223 chases bones, but it can.

I can assure you though, that the ,223's in my AR will violently fragment inside a fleshy target, making for a much nastier wound.

Why, because that is what free men do.

Ever have that naysayer who actually is shown a Glock and he still insists that some models are all plastic???
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is A LOT of gun ignorance out there, and there has been for a long time.

I grew up in a family that was totally gun ignorant. My parents were 2nd and 3rd generation Los Angelinos, city dwellers raised in the California suburbs. Growing up as kids, any knowledge that my brothers and I had about firearms came from TV and the movies. I was really into Rambo and G.I. Joe as a kid, perhaps a reaction to growing up in a gun sterile environment.

I recall when I was a teenager, my brother was working for my dad in his shop and I happened to be hanging around one day. A customer had dropped off a cash register for servicing and my brother found some bullets that had been stored inside the machine. My brother had another employee remove the bullets from the cash register because he was too afraid to touch them. The whole time my brother said, "Don't drop them!" as if they would explode like nitroglycerin.

Now that I have become gun educated, I cringe at all the misinformation I see on TV and on the evening news. I was watching CSI the other night and they said the perp used a "Colt .45", when the firearm shown was obviously a Smith & Wesson revolver. Back in the 90's everything was a "Beretta 9", as if that was the only 9mm pistol ever made. Every gangsta was supposedly armed with a "Beretta 9". Then later it became the "Glock 9". Sometimes at work this guy harasses me about being into guns. He says things at inappropriate times (such as in front of the boss) like, "Be careful! He might pull out his Glock 9!" I just tell him there is no such thing as a Glock model 9.

I agree with lt496, the gun ignorance in this country will ultimately be the undoing of the 2nd Amendment. We live in a society of perception, and the more people that believe a Glock is undetectable and that an AK-47 will hollow out your skeleton, then the more people there are that will go along with banning guns.

Very sad.
  • Options
    rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grew up in a home with no firearms, until I was about 12 or so when my daddy bought a 22 rifle for varmits. I, too, was fascinated with the whole military, different types of weapons, etc. Maybe we could use that to scare the gun loonies - take weapons away and they will only want them more, make them readily available and it will become no big deal.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rhythm_guy
    I grew up in a home with no firearms, until I was about 12 or so when my daddy bought a 22 rifle for varmits. I, too, was fascinated with the whole military, different types of weapons, etc. Maybe we could use that to scare the gun loonies - take weapons away and they will only want them more, make them readily available and it will become no big deal.

well, first let's set the terms straight: what is exactly is "gun loonies"? Armed inhabitants of Luna? (see R.A. Heinlein "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"). Anyways, anti-gun people on top of very serious personal issues have a certain set of believes which dictates the logic they're using. Of course, it's being hammered into their fickle minds by a group of people with a certain agenda who might or might not by ideologically anti-gun, which is very doubtful that politicians would be that stupid to think of guns in hands of peaceful law abiding citizens as cause of overall violence. They've got herds of people working for them crunching numbers and doing research and I am sure they have a lot better perspective on statistic than we do. Or at least they could have. How they use it and for what purpose is a whole different story, so far, I've only seen a couple of independent researches that correlated gun ownership to gun violence to police presence to demographics to economics. The fact that politicians never use this numbers to me means only one thing -- they don't give a rats * about public safety, but disarmed population is a lot easier to control. Well, yeah, I am a paranoid wacko and I do believe that sooner or later the generals will own you. Rant over [:D]
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I see that Wounded Wolf and Rhythm Guy grew up in gunless homes, yet successfully managed to morph into Higher Level Humans (that is, armed). I did the same. We are living proof that, in a generation, this sad state of affairs can be turned around! Our battle cry: The Sixties Are Over!!
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gee- sounds like the poor folks should be under the care of a pyschotherapist- since they have proclaimed that they are afflicted with hoplophobia- unreasonable fear of inanimate objects.
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang...I grew up in a house full of guns. And was carefully "educated" in what they would do, what they were for, how to care for them, load them, shoot them, unload them, and clean them. Of course that all started about 60 years ago. Today we have self styled "experts" on dang near everything who have media access and spew their ignorance to the bleating masses who know no better.

Since I grew up with guns, they were not a big deal to me, since they were always there. I was stunned to find out later in life how much ignorance there is in today's world concerning firearms, firearm safety, and cringe every time some talking head just spouts more garbage.

Now..for you CSI fans who catch gun mistakes on the CSI shows... send an email to CSIcorey@aol.com. He works primarily on CSI: Miami, but is an employee of JB Productions, owned by Jerry Bruckheimer who is a HOLLYWOOD type but an ardent supporter of the 2nd Amendment. He also hosts a celebrity trap and skeet shooting event every year to raise money for various charities.

John