In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

packing heat

joeltomjoeltom Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
to the best of your knowledge is it legal to carry a pistol when on the road on vacation? is this a national law or vary state to state?
thanks
joel t sprecher

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joeltom
    to the best of your knowledge is it legal to carry a pistol when on the road on vacation? is this a national law or vary state to state?
    thanks
    joel t sprecher

If you are talking concealed carry, reconition of your states ccw varies. Some will not reciprocate. The best advise is to call the state police or a lawyer in each state you plan on passing through to have a better idea.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    Check out packing.org, if nothing else at least it will have references to local laws. Last I checked it was pretty accurate for the most part.

Friggen sad that you have to be a lawyer just to exercise your 2A right.
  • Options
    whompusswhompuss Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most states that don't reciprocate have a peaceful journey doctrine. You store the handgun in one inaccessable part of the vehicle and the ammo in another. That is except NY and DC. They'll roast you for even thinking about a handgun.[V]

I run into this every time I visit two of my kids in VA and DC. I travel GA legally with my CC, have a peaceful journey thru SC, can carry in NC, have a peaceful journey to daughter #1 house in VA, stash my heat and drive into DC to see daughter #2. I'm in the process of getting my CC non ressident license in VA, more states reciprocate with VA since they require firearms training to get their CC. In GA all you need is $$ and no felonies.

In states that don't reciprocate with GA I don't leave my vehicle except for gas stops at well lighted stations. On my last trip to DC earlier this month I was accosted at a rest area in NC at 2am. I displayed my handgun and the jerk took off. Otherwise I'm a target- grey haired, overweight man with a cane. (and NO, don't confuse me with Phatt)
  • Options
    akfanatikakfanatik Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    who cares, its your constitutional right
  • Options
    SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by whompuss
    Most states that don't reciprocate have a peaceful journey doctrine. You store the handgun in one inaccessable part of the vehicle and the ammo in another. That is except NY and DC. They'll roast you for even thinking about a handgun.[V]

I run into this every time I visit two of my kids in VA and DC. I travel GA legally with my CC, have a peaceful journey thru SC, can carry in NC, have a peaceful journey to daughter #1 house in VA, stash my heat and drive into DC to see daughter #2. I'm in the process of getting my CC non ressident license in VA, more states reciprocate with VA since they require firearms training to get their CC. In GA all you need is $$ and no felonies.

In states that don't reciprocate with GA I don't leave my vehicle except for gas stops at well lighted stations. On my last trip to DC earlier this month I was accosted at a rest area in NC at 2am. I displayed my handgun and the jerk took off. Otherwise I'm a target- grey haired, overweight man with a cane. (and NO, don't confuse me with Phatt)

Big plus one Whompuss! here in florida, we definately have the peaceful journey law! and ignore that little AKFANATIC kid, 3-7 years in prison is no joke, and you have your right to own firearms in general stripped from you. AKFANATIC, people come here with serious questions, you do them no good, and gun owners in general no good service by suggesting that they break the law. Grow Up.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get caught in Illinois and you will lose your gun and get nailed with a class A Misd.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Sorry subnoize, akfanatic is correct.
    Now, 2A says it is legal which supposedly the constitution is the overriding factor in our "free" country, however we all know this not to be true and that if an unconstitutional law is the law that is observed, we are not free.
    Now, if I am to obey the law, but to do this I am potentially sacrificing my families lives, .....forget it!
    Besides, the NRA will come to my rescue if I am caught exercising my rights, right?
    Oh well, "better to be judged by twelve (and family still alive) than carried by six". And that's a fact!
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SuburbanNoize
    quote:Originally posted by whompuss

Big plus one Whompuss! here in florida, we definately have the peaceful journey law! and ignore that little AKFANATIC kid, 3-7 years in prison is no joke, and you have your right to own firearms in general stripped from you. AKFANATIC, people come here with serious questions, you do them no good, and gun owners in general no good service by suggesting that they break the law. Grow Up.

NOT- by following every unconstituional law every state throws up in your way to limit that right, you give them permission to do so. Break the law at will. I will admit to doing just that and can be found armed most everywhere.LIVE FREE!!!!!
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    LIVE FREE!!!!!

OR DIE

God bless NH..
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kyplumber
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    LIVE FREE!!!!!

OR DIE
    Nope-just live. And go on living.It is silly to die for a principle, but not to kill for it.

God bless NH..
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found this book bery helpful. Purchase a copy and it will let you know the laws of the states you are traveling through. If you have a specific state you are curious about let me know and I will pass on the info. This also has a list of the CWP reciprocity agreements of all the states.

http://www.bloomfieldpress.com/travel.htm

travelrguide.gif
    Regards, MAALOX