In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What Would Andy Griffith Do?

River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
Something just happened in my little town that really set me off. A fellow tried to knock down a hornet nest with a pellet gun. His wacko neighbor lady freaked out, called the cops, and said he was discharging a firearm in the city limits. The response would have been appropriate only if the guy's last name was bin Laden. Stormtroopers, M16s, and the poor guy was arrested. They say a pellet gun is a firearm, and I disagree.

The bigger issue, however, and the reason for this thread, is this trend to militarize local police. Not just the equipment, but the attitude as well. I am a huge supporter of local police, but is not healthy. It scares the pee-wadding out of me. M16s are for fighting terrorists and drug runners, not old men with pellet guns.

Anyone wish to comment? Especially some of the career police officers?

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Is this supposed to surprise us at this point in history? We DO live in a police state society. We have allowed this to happen .This is EXACTLY what happens when we disreguard the constitutiuon and the BOR's.

It was once said that a man that would give up a little liberty for safety,dserves neither. At this point, because of what we have allowed to pass, we too, deserve neither.

Although what IS happening MAY scare you, remind yourself that it really will only get WORSE.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In most states, a firearm could be construed as anything that emits a projectile. I remember in Kalifornia, the statutes even defined a firearm as anything that even resembled a gun. The fear mongerers have scared the sheeple into believing that ALL guns are b-a-a-a-a-d! Even a squirt gun.

Anyone notice that squirt guns no longer look like guns? They are now spaceships and race cars. Because the sheeple have been told anything that looks like a gun is b-a-a-a-a-d!

As for the police state, how many sheeple do hear whining about how the police didn't arrive at a crime scene in time to save them, or that the police didn't carry them to safety when Katrina hit. The sheeple WANT a police state! They have bought into it hook, line, and sinker.

The ideas of personal responsibility and self-reliance are totally foreign to today's society.

You have the New Deal and the Great Society to thank for that.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    In most states, a firearm could be construed as anything that emits a projectile.

Quite true. I got into this exact discussion with my county's sheriff department. I wanted to use a starter's pistol to train my dog. I was essentially told that it would be more trouble than it was worth, because every Tom Dick and Harry would be calling them, they'd have to come out, and it would go from there.

I asked what on earth would they possibly cite/arrest me for, and they said unlawful discharge of a weapon. I explained that there is no projectile, that the gun fires blanks (I'm still surprised I had to take it this far). They said, true, that if there wasn't a projectile then it wasn't a firearm discharge.

So, they said they'd cite me for disturbing the peace.

I took my dog to my FIL's house in Wisconsin over Christmas. He's got 40 acres in the country. He and I started with the starter's pistol and then graduated to shotguns. The dog took to gunfire just fine.