In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ed Brown; Nutcase or Patriot?

fitzx2fitzx2 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/01202007/nhnews-ph-nh-tax.evasion.html

This is happeneing here in my home state of NH. I have been researching the IRS, the Income Tax and the IR code for a couple years now. Through that research I believe that the Browns may just be correct on this. Of course the feds are never gonna fess up to the fact they have duped us into believing that the 16th amendment changed the constitutional power to tax. In the Supremem Court case Brushaber vs Union Pacific, the court makes it clear that the 16th gave no new powers to tax, yet we've been paying a direct tax on our wages for a century, when the constitution says taxes must be apportioned by population among the states.

I for one, vote Patriot. I feel awful for the Browns. They are going to lose everything, and Ed may even lose his life. Can you say Waco?

Fitz

Comments

• Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Given that this is such a high profile case at the present time,
    the government will do nothing.....for now.

They have time on the side. Eventually the fervor will fade, and people will get tired of living around his house, with nothing happening. They will go home. THEN is when the government will act.

Before acting in Waco, they ordered all people (cameras) to be far enough away, so they couldn't see (film) what they did.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say he's a patriot. Try posting this in General, and see what (negative) responses you get.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The man is an American...no higher accolade can I give.

Those that are attacking him are not. That simple.

The income tax has always been a method used by the Elites to make damn sure that the promise of freedom remains firmly that...a promise.
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    What's the upshot on Brown's struggle? Any updated news or articles?
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Larry29Larry29 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Patriot....but Waco and Ruby Ridge were on a Clinton watch. Should that witch get elected, US Patriots will be on the hit list fast.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They already are, Larry. They already are.
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely A Patriot. Don't Let This Thread Die. Here Is The Latest I Have On Ed Brown As Of: 7 Feb. 07.

From The Beginning; Lest We Forget... MSM Certainly Won't Remind Us!!!! Should We Immortalize Him On The Sticky??

New Hampshire couple found guilty for failing to pay income tax; husband holed up with armed supporters:
    AP Story Published In: The International Herald Tribune On: January 18, 2007

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/18/america/NA-GEN-US-Tax-Trial.php

N.H. tax evader readies for raid: 20 Jan 07
    http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/01202007/nhnews-ph-nh-tax.evasion.html

Ed Brown IRS Standoff Exclusive Video:
    By; John Stoddard Klar - 29 min 26 sec - Jan 20, 2007 www.christianwords.us
    Profoundly Patriotic Statement At End Is Not The End - 29 min 26 sec

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3956130595394471955

All of a sudden, Ed Brown has a lot of friends:
    His anti-tax stance attracts wide support
    Some ready for a shootout
    Concord Monitor Online - January 22. 2007 8:00AM

"Ed Brown, my friend and mentor, for patriotic reasons, is now worth more to me, and to what I stand for, dead, than alive,"

Details here

Tax standoff reveals new tactics:
    Patience replaces pressure, officials say
    Concord Monitor Online - February 04. 2007 10:00AM

Since Waco, the justice department has rethought its approach to potential standoffs with extremists, and patience has replaced pressure as the primary tactic.

http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070204/REPOSITORY/702040352

"Theft By Deception" :
    *This web site serves a non-profit effort, on the part of a growing number of Americans to educate the American people about the truth of the very limited nature of the U.S. Federal Income Tax. Every penny collected from the sale of this video is used exclusively to continue to fund the dissemination of this extremely vital information.

http://www.theft-by-deception.com/?gclid=COLvkrXYnIoCFQs8SgodODCXhg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its depressing to read this last Concord-Monitor article. The media has made Ed and his wife out to be total loons.
    At the core of this issue, we have two Americans who, after years of careful research have come to the conclusion that our Federal government is screwing us via an uncontitutional tax on our labor.

Knowing what we know about the BATFE, why would anyone doubt what the Brown's are saying about the IRS?

Still praying for ED,
    Fitz
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    They will wait him out until everyone supporting him goes home. He will die a quiet death in prison. Not a peep.

Unless someone makes the first move for him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    They will wait him out until everyone supporting him goes home. He will die a quiet death in prison. Not a peep.

If the end is peacable and bloodless and no specific threats of violence are made or documented, then the Feds may give him a lighter sentence in a minimum security prison as a gesture of good faith. I'm of the opinion that the Feds really don't want another martyr figure on their hands. But, who knows....
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    There have been so many tax protest groups that I have known over the last 40 years that have put forth the same arguement. They are all in jail! The Supreme Court and Congress have given the authority to collect the tax.

I love Ed Brown but this is a big problem! We would all have to stop paying our taxes for a protest to have any effect!

I hope this can be worked out in a peacefull manner. I would hate to see such a fine gentleman injured as a result of this disagreement.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slow_Hand

If the end is peacable and bloodless and no specific threats of violence are made or documented, then the Feds may give him a lighter sentence in a minimum security prison as a gesture of good faith. I want some of what you're smokin' When has the government done anything in good faith?I'm of the opinion that the Feds really don't want another martyr figure on their hands. But, who knows....

Which is exactly why they will wait him out. You may not even hear about it in the news. In fact I would almost count on that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hard to find much info any where. I keep checking the Concord Monitor and this is the latest I've found. Sounds like the press there is setting him up for the fall.

Browns thumb their noses at you - A Concord Monitor Article

Click here for details
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This appears to be a letter to the Editor. One Mr. Mann taking the position of the sheep. I have no doubt that had Mr. Mann been alive at the time of the revolution, he would have been on the side of King George, cowering and eagerly paying his tribute.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slow_Hand

If the end is peacable and bloodless and no specific threats of violence are made or documented, then the Feds may give him a lighter sentence in a minimum security prison as a gesture of good faith. I want some of what you're smokin' When has the government done anything in good faith?I'm of the opinion that the Feds really don't want another martyr figure on their hands. But, who knows....

Which is exactly why they will wait him out. You may not even hear about it in the news. In fact I would almost count on that.

Working on 15 years without a puff of any kind - no cigarettes, cigars or pipes[;)].

FWIW, I do not see the government as being solely and wholly black-hearted, malicious and ambivalent to the people it serves. There's probably more than a handful of decent FBI and ATF agents who really and truly don't want to take him by a show of force or wound or kill him in a shootout.

I'm hoping that Ed and his wife will be able to work out something without bloodshed and with their dignity intact.

FWIW, I'm not one of those folks you see in the street munching on a tube steak and yelling "Jump! Jump! Jump! to some poor SOB standing out on a window ledege 15 stories up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    UPDATE

Tax evaders sentenced, remain in home By PHILIP ELLIOTT, Associated Press Writer
    Tue Apr 24, 5:44 PM ET

A couple convicted of tax evasion for concealing $1.9 million in income was sentenced to prison Tuesday, but they refused to attend the hearing and have vowed not to leave their fortress-like mansion.

Ed and Elaine Brown insist tax laws do not exist and have holed up in their hilltop home in Plainfield, which has a watchtower, concrete walls and the ability to run on wind and solar power. Ed Brown, 64, said he has stockpiled food and supplies.

"The world belongs to the creator. It doesn't belong to man," he said Tuesday. "It doesn't belong to the United States government."

The Browns were convicted in January of scheming to hide $1.9 million of income between 1996 and 2003. They were also convicted of using $215,890 in postal money orders to pay for their residence and for Elaine Brown's dental practice. The money orders were broken into increments just below the tax-reporting threshold.

U.S. District Judge Steven McAuliffe sentenced them each to 5 1/4 years in prison. They skipped the sentencing hearings, and in a telephone interview, Ed Brown said they will not surrender to federal authorities.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Bill Morse said the former exterminator and his dentist wife have acted as though they are above the law.

U.S. marshals have been ordered to arrest the couple but said they are not planning to storm the home, blockade the roads or cut off supplies.

"We're not going to engage in that kind of game with them," U.S. Marshal Stephen Monier said. But, he added, "law enforcement is not going away and neither are the warrants."

In telephone interviews, Ed Brown said the couple will stay in their home despite convictions and warrants.

"I could care less what he does," Brown said of McAuliffe. "I can't talk to a fiction. You're a fiction, too."

The Browns based their defense on a theory that no law exists requiring tax payments.

Elaine Brown, 66, said Monday that she doesn't recognize the government, and that its officials are "a fiction in my life."

Outside the courthouse, about a dozen Brown supporters protested the proceedings. Waving "Don't Tread on Me" flags and holding signs, they said the entire process was a sham.

"We might as well be in Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany," said Dennis Mounce of Manchester.

The Browns stopped attending the court proceedings halfway through their trial. Elaine Brown returned at the end to be convicted. Ed Brown remained on the 110-acre retreat.

After the verdict, Elaine Brown was released to her son in Worcester, Mass., and promised the judge she would have no contact with her husband. But she violated her bond agreement and returned to the couple's home.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    Yeah, i wonder what'll come out of it. doesn't look like anything good will come out of it, just like they did with Gordon Kahl.

taxation stuff is just another sign of decline.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WW,
    Thanks for the update.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wounded Wolf:

Thanks for the up-date. I looked on Monday and didn't find anything. I wonder what the Gov'ment men will do now??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As I said several times before in these forums, I'm not one of those arseholes who stands out in the street at lunchtime, munching away on a tube steak and yelling "Jump! Jump!" to some poor bazztahrd standing out on a ledge way up high.

I hope this matter is resolved peaceably and without Ed feeling that he has to do something that gets him and/or his Mrs. hurt or possibly worse.

Right now, they're both looking at finite jail time for non-violent, money-related offenses. And, whether they're ultimately right or wrong, they have already been convicted, so the law is not on their side. A very tough, if not impossible, mountain for them to climb.

They tried to fight a good fight for a loftier ideal and they've made a statement but I believe it's now time to toss in the towel, get on with things and salvage the rest of their lives. They seem like decent people - not delusional martyrs.

Know when to hold 'em...know when to fold 'em.

The lack of media coverage tells me that most of America is either unaware of Ed and his wife or that very few indeed actually care.

No malice here, just my opinion.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like a suicide mission to me. We all feel the same way about taxes, the taking of our Second Amendment Rights, Extreme Government Control, (the list is endless), but you are not going to accomplish anything by yourself. You need to mass thousands that feel the same way and get them to act at the same time.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Patriot.

What if everybody held so strong to their convictions?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by flat8
    Patriot.

What if everybody held so strong to their convictions?

if everybody held so strong to their convictions then communism would be possible.

i heard recently an interesting point -- every person deep inside tends to lean towards communism, everything else is just a bunch of conditionally acquired views and positions.
  • Options
    Larry29Larry29 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhap in those that have never imagined a true liberty, where the government is merely a place to map out roads, pay soldiers, etc. Liberty is only possible as the government fears the people. Not many could say that about the mess we have allowed. Democracy; Franklin warned us against such. It's a freaking constitutional republic people!!! Katy Kouric, Brian Williams, ever heard of such a thing?? Doubtful. Communism does nothing for the pure independent, it never even crosses my mind it's so irrelevant to my thinking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:every person deep inside tends to lean towards communism, everything else is just a bunch of conditionally acquired views and positions.

Sounds like something a Communist would say (not a personal attack on you, sneaky, just my opinion on the statement).

My assessment would be that what we start with deep inside, before acquiring any views or positions, is probably very close to what we see in nature. You just don't see a lot of Communism in nature, except maybe ants, bees, termites, and such. But even those communities are heirarchical.

The truth is that all species, even humans, crave leadership and direction. They seek opportunity and resources. That is why I am not married to a supermodel, nor am I married to a crack-fatlady. In true Communism, you may get assigned a supermodel or you may get assigned a crack-fatlady, it is a roll of the dice because everyone's potential is supposedly equal. That is about as unnatural as it gets.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sneaky,.........you might be correct that your statement is "starting" to develop in many peoples minds. That would be due to the welfare mentality, and the desire to have the all knowing government to take care of our every need, and want. Look at the mindset that has spread in recent years,.........I should not be able to be fired,even if I don't do my job,........I deserve free healthcare,..........my medications should be free,............I shouldn't have to pay back a loan if it means I have to go to work, or get a second job,...........I should have everything that a wealthier person has because it isn't fair to me, even though the wealthier person usually gets that way by working harder, etc.,etc.!
    There are still tons of citizens in this country that would never even think of such a system,.........including myself, and posssibly your belief of that desire abiding in everyone, comes from the background you were raised under. Not a shot at you,........just an observation.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    quote:every person deep inside tends to lean towards communism, everything else is just a bunch of conditionally acquired views and positions.

Sounds like something a Communist would say (not a personal attack on you, sneaky, just my opinion on the statement).

quiet possibly. i am still looking into the meaning of it.

quote:
    My assessment would be that what we start with deep inside, before acquiring any views or positions, is probably very close to what we see in nature. You just don't see a lot of Communism in nature, except maybe ants, bees, termites, and such. But even those communities are heirarchical.

The truth is that all species, even humans, crave leadership and direction. They seek opportunity and resources. That is why I am not married to a supermodel, nor am I married to a crack-fatlady. In true Communism, you may get assigned a supermodel or you may get assigned a crack-fatlady, it is a roll of the dice because everyone's potential is supposedly equal. That is about as unnatural as it gets.

agreed. i wouldn't say _all_, but majority definitely. though it may be _all_ since even leaders of men turn to religion or other sources for council.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Sneaky,.........you might be correct that your statement is "starting" to develop in many peoples minds. That would be due to the welfare mentality, and the desire to have the all knowing government to take care of our every need, and want. Look at the mindset that has spread in recent years,.........I should not be able to be fired,even if I don't do my job,........I deserve free healthcare,..........my medications should be free,............I shouldn't have to pay back a loan if it means I have to go to work, or get a second job,...........I should have everything that a wealthier person has because it isn't fair to me, even though the wealthier person usually gets that way by working harder, etc.,etc.!
    There are still tons of citizens in this country that would never even think of such a system,.........

absolutely correct.

quote:
    including myself, and posssibly your belief of that desire abiding in everyone, comes from the background you were raised under. Not a shot at you,........just an observation.

i don't think it's got anything to do with my background, only what i am seeing here (not GB, but around me) and seeing it now. besides, it wasn't my comment, so don't shoot the messenger [;)]

it's does look that it's very easy to * that people lean towards free things, again, when someone gets a tax refund they attribute it as "free government money" without realizing that it's their own money, or public schools are being paid by government without realizing it's their tax dollars that are paying for it, and so on. and without this simple realization, people start to think that government is somewhat of a God and so on and then we have Soviet Republic all of a sudden. anyways, i am rambling, there're a lot more variables here and i simply don't have time right now to get them all in a couple of sentences.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:it's does look that it's very easy to * that people lean towards free things, again, when someone gets a tax refund they attribute it as "free government money" without realizing that it's their own money, or public schools are being paid by government without realizing it's their tax dollars that are paying for it

Oh I certainly realize many are that way,...........I on the other hand, never wonder where the money is coming from, and don't even know what a tax refund looks like, but I do know what a check TO the IRS looks like![;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Oh I certainly realize many are that way,...........I on the other hand, never wonder where the money is coming from, and don't even know what a tax refund looks like, but I do know what a check TO the IRS looks like![;)]

well, not to be confrontational or anything, but we're not talking about you personally but rather about the populous en mass [:)]

I can't speak for the entire country but the liberal areas which apparently have a huge influence on outcomes of elections are in pretty bad shape (mentally that is). NO disaster is the perfect example of it. though, i might be wrong, and maybe when SHTF it (the liberal population) will naturally sort itself out of human gene pool.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Update!!!!
    Sounds like this is about to come to a head!!!!!
    Friday, Jun. 8, 2007

Ed Brown says feds have no jurisdiction in New Hampshire.
    Click here for details
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 16th is settled law. The silly technicalities that keep getting raised have easily and consistently been shown to have had the same, or worse, variations in other amendments that have not been under question simply because they don't involve unpopular issues like a tax amendment does.

If you go back and study Alexander Hamilton (you know, one of those "Founding Father's) and his dissertations and explanations of what constitutes a direct vs. an indirect tax, the question should be over, but it never is for the tinfoil hat crowd. The 16th is legal - not desirable - but legal.

The just too cute for primetime attack that anyone who does not agree with an off the wall concept that is just dead wrong must by definition be a "sheeple", a traitor, or a communist is pure BS.

Guess what folks: wrong is wrong, no matter how much we would like it to be different.

Hamilton described it, it was ruled legal in the 1860's, and it is legal now.

I remember kids who used to say that "if it's my opinion, it's right because I believe it". I always told them that they had the right to believe that solid objects could pass through their bodies without harming them, but don't stand in front of a "semi" to prove it.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BTW, take a look at my signature and try to tell me how much I'm one of those who sucks up to the powers that be.

I'm just not so damn stupid that I don't know when a law I don't happen to like still may be legal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dlrjj:

First, Highball is NOT my HERO. I do respect him AND his opinion, even when I don't agree. That's what makes the world go `round. The 1st amendment, which was properly ratified, grants him, and you, as demonstrated above, the Right to express an opinion. Like it or not!! Love him or hate him, at least he stands up for what he believes, and he IS consistent. A rare thing in a world that makes decisions and flops around based upon skewed public opinion polls. The same Right utilized by the Government and MSM to disseminate outright lies and half truths to support their agenda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not worth the effort.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WOW! Aren't you the innovative, creative genius! So much thought must have gone into that reply. Insightful to say the least.