In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CCW with a valid Mil ID

what1042what1042 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
I've been told by several people that my Military ID will render me able to get a CCW despite only being 19 years old. Is there any validity to this? If there is, the gun show is coming to my town in a few weeks and I would like to take the course. I've looked on packing.org and I couldn't find anything solid. It just notes that in the state of Florida you have to be 21 for the CCW.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    I believe you don't even need the training, depending on the state laws though, if you're in military. I would call a local law enforcement office to confirm though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know if I submit a copy of my mil id I'll be approved without having to take the course, but I'm not sure if the age limit of 21 trumps military service.
    I found that in Georgia, a Mil Id is a CCW, but that seems to be the only state. I'll see if I can give the office a call and hear them out about it. I would like to be able to carry my KA-BAR around for protection.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Check state laws. packing.org should have at least references to state laws. I assume Ka-Bar is a blade, in this case:

http://www.packing.org/state/florida/#stateknifecarry_law

It look as if yes, in FL you do need a license to carry it concealed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just called the office that coordinates it in Tallahassee and they confirmed even with a mil id I would still have to be 21 for the CCW to carry my knife. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by what1042
    I just called the office that coordinates it in Tallahassee and they confirmed even with a mil id I would still have to be 21 for the CCW to carry my knife. Thanks for the help.

Well, that sucks. Bummer that you're out of luck on this.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about getting a signed notarized letter from a parent or gaurdian stating that they are giving you the right to carry concealed ?
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester
    What about getting a signed notarized letter from a parent or gaurdian stating that they are giving you the right to carry concealed ?

Right, while in the military. Nice one [:D]
  • Options
    VandriverVandriver Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This may be a little off topic but here goes.
    I think if a guy or gal is old enough to be in the military they should have all the rights and previlages of someone over21. That means they can drink a beer and carry a concealed weapon on vote
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Vandriver
    This may be a little off topic but here goes.
    I think if a guy or gal is old enough to be in the military they should have all the rights and previlages of someone over21. That means they can drink a beer and carry a concealed weapon on vote

Right, maybe even die for their country with their parents consent? what an outrageous idea!
  • Options
    Automatic_ftpAutomatic_ftp Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Van--

Did you mean that if someone is IN the military? That might have some merit. But there is an enormous constitutional equal protection problem........

Best,

Bob
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester

Right, while in the military. Nice one [:D]

Hey Russian
    I didn't make the laws and I am not happy about them either. It is either comply with the way it is or break the law and pay the consequences. When I turned 18 years old, the only way I could get a pistol permit was by notarized letter from a parent or guardian, so I did it. I wanted a pistol and would do anything to get one. That was 25 years ago.... I would do it again in a minute. I think it is crap that an 18 year old soldier can go to fight for their country, but can't get a cold beer. What is wrong with those asinine politicians ?
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's exactly what I meant. 18-year olds can die fighting for their politics but can't have a beer or carry a pistol while off duty. Makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Being in the military, I personally feel the laws work well. The last thing we want is to give people an incentive to join the military for the wrong reason. I haven't found anyone who has problems getting alcohol as we all know each other so intricately. I just feel that if we opened doors to new recruits saying you could drink right away, it would attract the wrong crowd.
    We should get some rights for our training though. As police officers can't buy a handgun if their not 21 in most states, we cannot either, nor carry them. It seems to be an insult to our training, but changing the laws right now would be counter productive you know compared to what is going on in the world.
  • Options
    bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a KA-BAR for self defense?? why not a little folder you dont need a CCW to carry around?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats what I've been using now, i'm just fond of my ka-bar
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by what1042
    Being in the military, I personally feel the laws work well. The last thing we want is to give people an incentive to join the military for the wrong reason. I haven't found anyone who has problems getting alcohol as we all know each other so intricately. I just feel that if we opened doors to new recruits saying you could drink right away, it would attract the wrong crowd.
    We should get some rights for our training though. As police officers can't buy a handgun if their not 21 in most states, we cannot either, nor carry them. It seems to be an insult to our training, but changing the laws right now would be counter productive you know compared to what is going on in the world.

Some people already join the military for all wrong reasons. And I don't think gun control laws work well, designed well or exist for right reasons.
  • Options
    watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    18-year olds, can die fighting over there, but can't have a beer or carry a pistol while off duty. Makes no sense to me. I second that!!