In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Proactive, reactive, or liberal.

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
I like the "what if's"
Here is one I have been pondering on. The situation:

Your spouse works with this guy whom started out as "creepy". Creepy asks her out on a date. She replies "No, I think my husband would NOT appreciate your asking either" to which he replies "well, we don't HAVE to tell him hehe" to which she replies " I said NO". All is dropped and this is reported to the office manager. A few weeks later "creepy" asks again recieving the same response. The manager this time warns "creepy" that it BETTER stop or he will soon be looking for other meaningful gainful employment. A while later he buys your wife flowers and says he is sorry, he didn't mean to offend her. She refuses flowers . A while later creepy follows her to her car, getting close and again asks for a "date". She says NO , files a report with the police, and manager fires creepy. Creepy then "bumps" into your wife at the store, only to appoligize and again before parting ways, wants to "go out" . restraining order now filed. Your wife calls and says she has to work late, dinner is in the fridge. Creepy meets your wife after work and takes what he has been after all along. Your wife never thought creepy was the violent type to do such a thing, until now.

Are YOU proactive, meaning you take matters into your own hands and put an end to this before the story completes itself?

Are YOU reactive and administer your OWN justice after the fact.

Are YOU LIBERAL and leave your chances to the courts and shrug if he gets off? Perhaps even blame the perps father for beating his backside too much as he was a child.

I know what I am, I leave my trust to myself. I will avoid an accident before it happens if I see it coming.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How the hell should I know????

Being in the middle of a divorce right now I must admiit my view may be influenced by emotional turmoil.

But, I am well founded enough to know that so many variables come into play that until it hits the fan and the rounds are cracking over my butt; nobody can know what they would do.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Are YOU proactive, meaning you take matters into your own hands and put an end to this before the story completes itself?

Not sure what strategy you are envisioning here. My wife is trained to arms and more often than not is legally armed, as am I. In this situation I'm not sure how much more "proactive" a person can be under the law.

quote:Are YOU reactive and administer your OWN justice after the fact.

This would clearly be against the law and would add insult to injury by forcing your spouse to not only endure the trauma of rape but to do so by herself while trying to support herself emotionally and financially while you serve your prison sentence.

quote:Are YOU LIBERAL and leave your chances to the courts and shrug if he gets off? Perhaps even blame the perps father for beating his backside too much as he was a child.

If the proactive measures weren't enough to prevent the tragedy, unfortunately the legal recourse of our justice system is the only option within the law.

Having said that, there is a group I have recently become aware of that performs certain services for families that have experienced horroble tragedy at the hands of an individual. It is my understanding that this group helps that individual find true justice.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Color me proactive,......as I went through a similar situation, but obviously not as sinister as you describe.
    Lets just say my fiance' works for the state, and about a year ago, had to go to several training seminars, with a bunch of other people.
    A female acquantance of hers, came up to her one morning, and asked if she would like to go out with this guy that is a friend of hers. The guy put her up to it, and is a cop, well a cop in training anyway!
    She told the other woman that she was not interested, and to not bother ever asking her again, and that she was engaged. The woman told the cop she was engaged, and wasn't interested.
    He responded by sending the woman back to tell her that he didn't care. My fiance' sent the message back that if he had any further contact with her, she would report him for harrassment.
    He found her phone extension, and department, and called her twice during work hours acting like a juvenile. She wanted to report him, but I wanted to "report" him first.
    Long story short,......I followed him home one evening, and we had a little discussion,.......problem disappeared,.......and oh yeah, she still reported him, plus several other women had already. Needless to say, at this point, his career, is kind of "sucking",......he's walking the hallways of a mens prison here, as a guard![;)]
    Edit: I am not a "jealous" guy, as she gets looked at all the time, and has been asked out before by guys that don't know, or care,........that's OK with me, but this guy crossed the line in my mind, to the point of someone that could potentially become dangerous.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proactive with my family. If they are going down a wrong path I kick it down before it becomes a problem.

Reactive with everything else. I can't say this about al things... if I can see where it is going and it isn't good, I stomp it, or reverse the situation whenever possible, but for all other things... I can't nail someone for maybe doing something wrong.

Liberal?? Hell no!!!!
  • Options
    watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    "freemind" is this happening to you? Or do you just sit home thinking this crap up.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by watrulookinat
    "freemind" is this happening to you? Or do you just sit home thinking this crap up.

This is not thinkng "crap" up. It is called preparation. If you are not prepared for what comes in life, only you are to blame.

Do you build a house without a blueprint, or do you have a plan before you nail the first stud into place? .... Didn't think so .
  • Options
    watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    Well I guess you'll just have to wait and see if it happens to you. And I don't wish that on anyone, but you can say your proactive on this all you want, but fact is... you'll never know unless it happens to you. Then you'll find out if your proactive or reactive. Don't mean to sound negative, but to me talk is cheap, people can say they would do this or that, truth is, you won't know until your in the situation. You can prepare for battle all you want, but that doesn't mean your battle ready.