In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

About a certain stat which pro-gun people quote..

CeeWhyCeeWhy Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
I've often heard, "the evidence shows that time and time again than gun control does not deter violent crime and in most cases increases it". Now, I'm not saying that's not true, but are there any reliable sources on the internet which support this claim?

Comments

• Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This organization performed several surveys of crime statistics:

http://ruljis.leidenuniv.nl/

I know that in 2001 or so their surveys showed that Britain, Wales, and Australia had higher violent crime rates than the U.S. The U.K. government reported a 19% increase in violent crime back in 2000. As you probably know, the U.K. and Australia enacted significant gun control laws in the 1990s. I think it would at least be fair to say that gun control does NOT reduce violent crime.

There has been a lot of discussion about recent violent crime waves in Britain. Violent crimes have tripled in that nation over the past decade. It has been shown the foreign immigrants and criminals can smuggle arms or buy them on the black market, while the average law-abiding citizen has no access to firearms for self defense. This is a typical result of gun control. Making firearms illegal only leaves those who obey the law defenseless.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CeeWhy
    I've often heard, "the evidence shows that time and time again than gun control does not deter violent crime and in most cases increases it". Now, I'm not saying that's not true, but are there any reliable sources on the internet which support this claim?

When debating a point, I first try using simple, local and visible reason and logic to prove or support my side. So it is with your honest and good question.

Once you have the basic laws in place, usually additional laws are basically worthless. For example, if you legislate that it is a crime to harm or threaten to harm another innocent person, how much good does it really do to go back and add more laws on top of that law in regards to preventing people from harming other people? For example, adding words such as "our law will already send you to prison for harming or threatening to harm another person, but if you use a gun, we will send you to prison for a longer time."

If you think there is/was a need to add this additional language, remember why you feel that need. That need is caused because obviously some people are ignoring the first law against harm/threatening another innocent person. Threatening/harming another human being is a much more evil, serious and heinous action than the action of possessing a gun. If a person is so quick and easy about deciding to harm another person, do you really believe they will give any notice to your new law about them not being allowed to have a gun? I don't think so.

The liberals reasoning for wanting more and more gun/weapons laws is because many criminal type people are ignoring the already existing laws against harming another human being. Does any sensible person really believe that such criminal type people will suddenly notice or care about a new law that says "Hey, not only can you not harm people, but you can't have a gun while doing it! We mean it this time!"

Bottom line, the peaceful, lawful people are not causing the problem; the problem is caused by the unlawful, violent people. The very people who choose to ignore any and all laws that already exist or will be passed.

So no, gun control does not work. And gun control will disarm those lawful, peaceful citizens and make them helpless targets and increase violente crime.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Hey buddy... here's a nasty statistic for you.

In the last century, 170,000,000 people were killed by their own governments. That is nearly 4,700 people for every single day of the 20th Century that were starved, gassed, burned, tortured, raped, mutilated, machine gunned and flung naked into mass graves. All the gun kontrol laws created by these murderous governments were paramount to allow for this to happen. And that's just on the gov't side of things, but in case you're wondering, gov'ts are more organized, better funded and much better equipped than criminals, and if given the chance, always seem to murder people it does not want.
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak

Hey buddy... here's a nasty statistic for you.

In the last century, 170,000,000 people were killed by their own governments. That is nearly 4,700 people for every single day of the 20th Century that were starved, gassed, burned, tortured, raped, mutilated, machine gunned and flung naked into mass graves. All the gun kontrol laws created by these murderous governments were paramount to allow for this to happen. And that's just on the gov't side of things, but in case you're wondering, gov'ts are more organized, better funded and much better equipped than criminals, and if given the chance, always seem to murder people it does not want.

Amen