In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

San Fran Gun Show

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
I know there are alot of CA residents on the forum. I just watched a press conference where the local San Francisco idiots who run the city - the Mayor, DA & such - plan on going after the gun show at the Cow Palace. And they said they'll have a presence there at this Sat & Sun show. They want the Governer - who's not exactly the best on gun rights - to get involved.

I'd like to ask those in northern CA who were "50/50" about going to make the show this weekend at the Cow Palace. I know the show ain't what it used to be, but I hate like hell to have it end and give the antigun group a win or think we can be bullied into staying away.

Comments

• Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought they had already shut that one down. I remember back in '02 or '03 they were making a big stink about it and talking about banning it then. I lived in Sonoma County and they shut down the Crossroads gun show that took place at the Santa Rosa Fairgrounds back in 2001. I used to go to the Vallejo show, but now that I live in Nevada there is no point to going to a California gun show. In fact, with Gunbroker, Brownell's, etc., there really isn't much point to going to the shows at all anymore. Why pay $8 looking at a bunch of overpriced crap that you don't want when you can get exactly what you want for the cheapest price on the internet?

Same thing happened to computer shows. In the 90s they were the best deal for buying a computer, now you can go onto Newegg and buy exactly what you want for the cheapest price and have it shipped to your door.

Only thing I buy at gun shows nowadays is ammo, and the price of admission is almost enough to offset the price of shipping it to my door.
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ww:

And, for the price of admission and a little inconvenience the anti's win another one!!! You might as well just send that $8.00 directly to your favorite anti-gun organization!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't buy that one Wagon Wheel. It is not my financial responsibility to support gun shows if they are no longer satisfying my economic need. I've met a lot of gun show vendors that don't give a rat's behind about the 2nd Amendment. They would probably sell out the RTKBA in a heartbeat if it meant more dollars in their pocket. When the trigger lock restriction went into affect in California I DID NOT hear gun dealers speak up in opposition. Why would they? Another $25 gun lock attached to every firearms sale or a potential gun safe sale is good for their immediate bottom line.

I know that they aren't looking out for my rights, they are looking out for my wallet. Same with NRA, Ruger, S&W, and all the other gun industry fat cats. Any gun law that puts more money in their pockets is a good one, in their eyes.
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ww:

I read this a five when I got up. First off I should not of directed at you. And, I knew when I made that post that I failed to explain myself properly. Hurried and tried to be brief. Doesn't work for me.

You are, of course, correct in most of your evaluation. My point was; that it is the tactic of the anti-gun crowd to win by deception and attrition. They use every underhanded trick and ploy at their disposal. The carrot and stick compromise deals. Offer EASIER and cheaper avenues of access to the desired commodity while at the same time devising schemes to limit or eliminate that access. Recently passed and proposed legislation proves this!! Surely you are familiar with more than just the advertised gun control bills and see the threat from those that have nothing in the title to indicate the restriction of both 1st and 2nd Amendment Rights, among others!! The compromisers see the carrot and take it. The rest of us get the stick. Once that (or any) gun show is eliminated either through some innocuous law, or lack of participation, it will be gone forever. God knows we have to shop around for the best deals but most people put their immediate comfort and convenience first without regard to the subsequent consequences. They compromise and move on. The anti's win!!

As I see it, we will eventually lose this battle unless something changes pretty soon. There are several fundamental differences between the psyche of the anti gun crowd and gun owners. I would explain my interpretation of that statement but feel I may offend some here and I have no desire to further fragment the fragile bond that keeps some gun owners posting here. Most are aware anyway!!

quote:I know that they aren't looking out for my rights, they are looking out for my wallet. Same with NRA, Ruger, S&W, and all the other gun industry fat cats. Any gun law that puts more money in their pockets is a good one, in their eyes.
    FIRST OFF, you have to look out for your own rights and do whatever you can to protect them. If you haven't read these articles I would highly suggest that you do. Think about what's going on in the world of lobbying and the resultant legislation etc.. and decide for yourself what's going on.

Freedom's Greatest Threat:By Chuck Baldwin
    An ABSOLUTE MUST READ!!
    http://www.theconservativevoice.com:80/article/26909.html

Who Are the Globalists?
    By: David Losey
    July 17, 2007 01:00 PM EST
    http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/26722.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was brief & general because this is a national forum and the issue I posted is of interest to Californians, specifically those in the San Fran area. The larger issue, like it or not, is that the foolishness started in CA spreads to other states. In the spirit of being forwarned, I would encourage GB members to check out sites specific to California Gunowners networking so you can see the problems we deal with, how we deal with them and just how much there is to lose. In CA for example:
    1) A 10 day waiting period for any gun purchase.
    2) Transfer fees of up to $100.00 per gun are common and gun sale
    alone paperwork costs about $35.00
    3) All gun sales go through a dealer, no "friend to friend" sales
    4) Magazine capacity limited to 10 rounds or fewer
    5) New handguns must be certified safe - new semis must have a mag
    safety and loaded chamber indicator. Those 1960s, 70s & 80s
    Smiths & Colts are all off list because they are "unsafe".
    6) Complicated "assault weapons" bans on most military style rifles.
    7) Severe mailing restrictions on ammo and reloading components -
    check out the "No shipping to CA" in your catalogs.

This list could go on for pages and there are local ordinances that are more restrictive - San Fran voted to ban all handguns, the NRA sued to overturn & won.

I'm simplifying the CA laws, but the point Wagon Wheel makes is those fortunate enough to have options need to be aware there is an active and determined group of people who are very skilled at taking away your rights.

If I had the choice of patronizing a gun show or local dealer and spending a bit more $$$ instead of ordering ammo on line (something else that is banned) I would do so. Right now most people in other states have the luxury of saying the hell with those charging too much. But I think the wise approach is to spend some $$$ with the best of them to keep the industry strong in your area.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    I don't buy that one Wagon Wheel. It is not my financial responsibility to support gun shows if they are no longer satisfying my economic need. I've met a lot of gun show vendors that don't give a rat's behind about the 2nd Amendment. They would probably sell out the RTKBA in a heartbeat if it meant more dollars in their pocket. When the trigger lock restriction went into affect in California I DID NOT hear gun dealers speak up in opposition. Why would they? Another $25 gun lock attached to every firearms sale or a potential gun safe sale is good for their immediate bottom line.

I know that they aren't looking out for my rights, they are looking out for my wallet. Same with NRA, Ruger, S&W, and all the other gun industry fat cats. Any gun law that puts more money in their pockets is a good one, in their eyes.

In red above. All anti-gun people would be happy if the NRA was small, weak, powerless and bankrupt. Instead of being "rich fatcats".

Ruger for sure, S&W I believe, and many, many more companies who profit from gun owners (Brownells, Cabelas, for sure. There are others) have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to fight for gun rights.

What have we come to, as a group, when one of our few good members of GB.com will so casually viciously condemn a large segment of our gun culture population
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    No, TR; It is you burying your head in the sand and refusing to see.
    You went away for awhile, after starting to actually admit that your gods had feet of clay, now and again....

When you came back, it was like you had gotten a tranfusion of nra bad blood. Too bad.
    Bill Ruger got us the extended mag ban...and forever more the concept that large mags leads to mass killings.
    S&W forced their dealers to stop selling at gun shows, years ago..and a whole littany of other crap if you remember...and that bogus sale of Smith was pablum for the masses....
    Remember Tr; there is always a place for a good man, one believing that the Federal Government has NO PLACE in the gun law field..

Otherwise, you stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Fiendstein/Kennedy/Shumer...not a place I want to be....
  • Options
    bronshtbronsht Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both sides of this argument make some valid points. I live in SF and work in SF. I think the Cow Palace show stinks; the prices are too high; the milsurps are not in very good supply nor are a lot of them in great condition. There are no bargains on any new firearms. I will be at the show, nonetheless, as a point of honor. If you do not understand that, then that is also all right with me. If only some of us could join together in spirit even if we do not all sing the same tune. bronsht
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    No, TR; It is you burying your head in the sand and refusing to see.
    You went away for awhile, after starting to actually admit that your gods had feet of clay, now and again....

When you came back, it was like you had gotten a tranfusion of nra bad blood. Too bad.
    Bill Ruger got us the extended mag ban...and forever more the concept that large mags leads to mass killings.
    S&W forced their dealers to stop selling at gun shows, years ago..and a whole littany of other crap if you remember...and that bogus sale of Smith was pablum for the masses....
    Remember Tr; there is always a place for a good man, one believing that the Federal Government has NO PLACE in the gun law field..

Otherwise, you stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Fiendstein/Kennedy/Shumer...not a place I want to be....

Is there no person, organization or actions taken by them that will please you and some of the others here? Other than when the walls come tumbling down around us that is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you yet refuse to acknowledge that federal control of guns nullifies the express purpose of the Second Amendment ?

Unless and until that penetrates.it is pointless to discuss `whom' is doing good things in the gun debate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No group is perfect - Bill Ruger is dead and the British company that cut a deal with the Clinton Administration is gone. Do we continue to penalize the current owners for previous sins?

Although I have the urge to try out the new DSA FAL, I'll be at the show & make the best of it. There will probably be something worth buying if I look hard enough and if there happens to be a little birdie hanging out the window at the antigunner types, all the better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you yet refuse to acknowledge that federal control of guns nullifies the express purpose of the Second Amendment?

Unless and until that penetrates.it is pointless to discuss `whom' is doing good things in the gun debate.

Are we taking the 2nd to mean that Congress can not infinge on the 2nd because those rights are held by the states? If so - if we say the 2nd restricts federal and preserves states rights - how do we deal with states that want to restrict? Can we not incorporate the 14th to restrict state control also and hold this as an individual right?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Bill of Rights deals mainly with the Rights granted by God to Sovereign citizens.
    There has been an argument advanced that States do indeed have some limited powers to restrict firearms.
    The idea behind laws being limited to states is the belief that the insane would not take over ALL states.little did the Founders know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Bill of Rights deals mainly with the Rights granted by God to Sovereign citizens.
    There has been an argument advanced that States do indeed have some limited powers to restrict firearms.
    The idea behind laws being limited to states is the belief that the insane would not take over ALL states. Little did the Founders know.

Good evening Mrs President, Madam Speaker, Vice President Kucinich.......

[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wagon Wheel, thank you for the articles, I will read them when I get some more time.

The only gun manufacturer that has correctly dealt with the insane situation in California is Ronnie Barrett. In my opinion, the minute that California introduced the "drop test" standard, every gun manufacturer should have refused all California sales and pulled any assets, facilities, or employees their companies held in that state.

I think the only way the average Californian sheeple will comprehend the bed that their politicians have made for them is if every gun dealer, manufacturer, gun club, firing range, and ammo producer IMMEDIATELY closes their doors and removes themselves from the state, refusing to do further business in California until the people force their politicians to repeal the restrictions put on them.

Will the anti-gunners rejoice? Sure, but the remaining few decent people, after enduring a few years of assault, battery, rape, & murder, might actually be able to do something once things reach a critical mass.

Instead we have seen the usual namby pamby incrementalism, catered to by the large gun manufacturers and the NRA, always willing to re-negotiate and jump through the next hoop. It is the perfect example of the frog in the stock pot. In 20 years NOBODY will be able to buy a gun in California, and you will not hear a single complaint about it either.

quote:No group is perfect - Bill Ruger is dead and the British company that cut a deal with the Clinton Administration is gone. Do we continue to penalize the current owners for previous sins?

They may be dead, but their legacy still lives on. Why does Ruger still produce "LEO Only" magazines? There are plenty of states where those magazines are perfectly legal to sell to regular citizens. I still hear S&W talking about their "smart gun". These are self imposed restrictions that these manufacturers are placing on themselves, so that when the next round of gun control legislation gets pushed through they will be standing there with their "LEO Only" magazines and "smart guns" in hand, so they can show how good they are by playing along with their politician cronies. Maybe they will get that next big no-bid defense contract in return.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    While I philosophically agree with the approach - actually an assertion made by Lincoln that the way to overturn an unjust law is through strict enforcement - that says let a ban arrive and have the place go to hell, the arguments against that are that approach took 30 years in DC and is still not over and, despite the state's AW ban, we have managed to legally challenge and bring in literally over 100,000 previously banned "assault weapons".

I suppose the hope is we'll persevere long enough for the state to become normal - it wasn't always like this. And by the way, if we're gone you have to ask who's next? It's not like the antigunners will stop here, they'll step up efforts in Chicago, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Virgina, Maryland, etc. Pick a big city or state controlled by liberals and your gun rights will be aattacked.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have stated many times in the past..yet I will do so again;

Some of you guys are comfortable crawling on your bellies begging big daddy for permission to buy a gun. So our gorge factor is radically different, you types and I...
    I quit asking daddy for permission when I was 11.
    Therefore...because MY gorge factor is ALREADY overloaded..more gun laws are meaningless to me...indeed..the great hope is far MORE gun laws.
    WHY ? Because my one remaining hope is that at SOME point..enough of you fence-setters, compromising, emotional thinking "if just one child is saved" nonsense spouting twits actually grow a back-bone and say..."ENOUGH, already".
    Until that time, I intend to remain a thorn in the side of compromisers, Quislings, and anti-gun gun owners...those owning guns yet support gun control..which are a far greater threat to freedoms then the strident public anti-gunners.
    The gun owner supporting gun control just shoots a REAL Second Amendment supporter in the back....