In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

post-86 dealer sample?

GreatBeefaloGreatBeefalo Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
I didnt know where to post this, but Constitutional Law seems appropriate...

Is it legal for your average Joe Blow (assuming he can buy regular NFA guns) to purchase a Post-86 dealer sample? Do you have to have a LE stamp or some such crap?

Comments

• Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope. Those can only be possessed by dealers or the US Gestapo. That's it.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunphreak is right.
    Any NFA firearm manufactured after May 19 1986 can ONLY be transfered to a federal or state agency. No "Joe Blow's" are allowed to own them. [V]
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's one of the primary reasons I left the NRA. It was a part of their beloved FOPA of 1986.

A Title II manufacturer can make them, and a Class III dealer can buy them, provided he obtains a Request For Demonstration letter from the local sheriff. But if the police force decides to buy it, he has to sell it, and if he ever goes out of business, he has to surrender all of his post-86 (but not pre-86) dealer samples to the Gestapo.

As such, you have the transferable guns, which can be privately owned costing 10-15 times what they are worth, the pre-86 dealer samples, which can be kept by dealers after surrendering their license, costing 5-7 times what they are worth, and then the post-86 dealer samples, which cost what they are worth. Sad. [xx(]
  • Options
    AccuCastAccuCast Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "Post 86 Dealer Sample" ruling applies only to "Machine Guns", NOT ALL N.F.A. Weapons.

Citizens in the states were allowed can still buy "fully tranferable" NFA firearms classified as Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns, Any Other Weapon, or Suppressors" manufactured today.

We are Class II S.O.T. manufacturers and have sold a number of the Short Barreled Rifles.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AccuCast
    The "Post 86 Dealer Sample" ruling applies only to "Machine Guns", NOT ALL N.F.A. Weapons.

Citizens in the states were allowed can still buy "fully tranferable" NFA firearms classified as Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns, Any Other Weapon, or Suppressors" manufactured today.

We are Class II S.O.T. manufacturers and have sold a number of the Short Barreled Rifles.

When have "Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns, Any Other Weapon, or Suppressors" been referred to as "Post 86 Dealer Samples"???

While the original poster did not specifically state that he was talking about "fully automatic machine guns" the implication was there since he DID refer to "Post 86 Dealer Samples" which, as far as I know, ONLY pertains to fully automatic machine guns.

Technically speaking, I was incorrect when I stating that "all" NFA firearms were prohibited from transfer to Joe Blow. I will be more careful with my wording in the future. There might be people out there reading this, that are NOT familiar with the lingo, which with most of us here, is second nature. We do NOT want to misinform them.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I am aware that silencers, SBRs, and SBS, as well as destructive devices can be registered and are not considered dealer samples. Only full auto firearms can be considered a dealer sample.