In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GETTING AN FFL

watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
edited September 2007 in Gun Rights and Constitutional Law
Does anyone know if you need a store front, in order to get an FFL? Can you still get one if you work from your home? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one of those years ago. Only problem is you have to have regular hours where you are OPEN to the public, meaning anyone can walk in to your designated space. I had a Gunsmith license, which is the same as an 01 FFL anyway, but you do not (or did not) have to post regular hours, ie, open by appointment only. Could still order anything I wanted from any wholesaler who would do busines with me. Some won't, unless you buy a certain amount of stock. I only wanted it to buy parts, tools and the occasional gun I wanted, saving lots of money. Of course that was when the license was only $10 a year and all you had to do was apply. I had it over 10 years. Problem No. 2 with this: Local government gets in the act and looks for you if you are not in a business zone, and/or did not get their permission (license, tax, whatever they want to screw you out of your money) and threatens, penallizes or attempts to jail you for your illegal traffic in firearms. There are few places anymore that ever want to allow any more gun dealers around, they try to get you out of business any way they can, you are just so mean and dangerous. That's what they did to me although I had never harmed anyone, and in 10 years had bought about a dozen guns for myself, and a few for LEOs in the area (at cost). So being too long here, but I guess it may be different now, at any rate unless you live in a different world than most of us, plenty of people will try to stop you. Wouldn't it be nice if they worked as hard trying to stop criminals. If it works for you post again to let us know and good luck to you. I just went ahead and got the C&R license so at least I could play with older stuff.

fideau
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I have heard... the BATFE will no longer issue an FFL to applicants that do not have a regular store front. I have a neighbor who has an FFL and does business out of his home, but he got his FFL several years ago.

Maybe Locust Fork can chime in on this.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want an FFL for the purpose of buying some guns for yourself, or a few friends, it is not worth it anymore.
    The margins on firearms are pretty slim, and to get back all of your licensing fees alone ( Fed, and local ), much less make a profit, would take quite a number of sales.
    I looked into this once myself, and decided it wasn't worth it,.........for me, at least.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your reply's.
  • Options
    eddiebaumeddiebaum Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one for 17 years and 3 locations...I recently surrendered it- under pressure. As long as I lived outside city limits, I was ok...once I moved into the city I fell into zoning. Plus, they can now go through your entire house because it is part of the business-at any time. A dealer 150 miles north of here fought the zoning and won and within 30 days they went through his entire house like Gestapo looking for hidden guns. He gave up his license due to that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks ed, I live outside the city limits, I'm in a rural area. But, I made up my mind and threw out the application. I'm going to play it safe. Sad that it has to be this way.
  • Options
    johnny dangerouslyjohnny dangerously Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dose any one know if c&r is this hard of a deal too? jd
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by johnny dangerously
    dose any one know if c&r is this hard of a deal too? jd

Just about anyone that can pass a background check can get a C&R.
    A C&R is for "collecting" guns, NOT selling them.
  • Options
    30 Characters30 Characters Member Posts: 32
    edited November -1
    If you apply for a FFL license one of the questions asked on the form is...."DO YOU INTEND TO USE YOUR LICENSE ONLY TO ACQUIRE PERSONAL FIREARMS?"...If answer YES..DO NOT submit application.

The sticker in getting a license is:

A) Having a commercial store-warehouse-office with posted hours so the public can walk in.
    B) The commercial establishment must be in an area ZONED for that type business.
    C) You cannot get the FFL license if you only intend to sell at gun shows.
    D) You MUST obtain a business license from the local authority within 30 days from receiving a license.
    E) A new license is $200.00 for 3 years and a three-year renewal of $90.00 after that.
  • Options
    woodmaster9woodmaster9 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A ffl for personal use isn't worth it- You have to keep immaculate records on your personal guns as well as the ones for sale and atf can come in and demand to see these records without warning.
  • Options
    dan55362dan55362 Member Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't let all these guys scare you on getting a FFL. Its no wonder that we lose more and more FFL's every year. Sure its true it is more difficult to get a FFL today than it was 15 years ago. But with that said its still not that hard. As far as business hours go when I got my FFL the ATF agent told me that the main reason you have to have business hours is that is when the ATF can come and do an inspection. He told me that he has ben to a home of a FFL dealer that listed his hours at 3am to 4am. He said that is perfectly legal but guess what time of the day the ATF came to do a inspection. He told me that my home is not open to random searches (even they need probable cause and a warrant). the only thing I have to show him is my paperwork and any guns that are still open in my books, any guns that I checked out of my bound book as personal are just that personal. He also told me that if the local sheriff or Police want to take a look at my books that I should decline to let them. He said if the police need to see any of my paperwork it would be in their best interest for them to contact the ATF. I had no problems with zoning but if you lived in the city I could see how it could be a pain. The biggest hurdle to overcome is you have to pay the rather large licence fee for the first time you get a FFL, When I first got mine it was 200.00. with the small markup you have to decide if it is worth it. I have my FFL in MN. You may have different local laws where you live.