In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NEW ORLEANS KEEPS THOSE GUNS!

30 Characters30 Characters Member Posts: 32
RAY NAGIN WOULD STEAL YOUR GUNS!

BELLEVUE, Wash., Aug. 29 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Two years ago today, New Orleans and the surrounding area was pounded by Hurricane Katrina, and in the following days, police and National Guard units, acting under orders that violated both the federal and Louisiana state constitutions, illegally seized without warrant or probable cause, hundreds of privately-owned firearms.
After the Second Amendment Foundation successfully halted the gun seizures in a federal lawsuit, the city undertook a campaign of stonewalling and stalling in an effort to retain those wrongly-confiscated firearms. That effort continues today, and it is time for the Ray Nagin administration to end this demagoguery and return those guns, said SAF founder Alan Gottlieb. SAF was joined in the landmark lawsuit by the National Rifle Association.
"We know those firearms have been deliberately allowed to deteriorate, many beyond repair," Gottlieb stated. "Considering that, we now call upon the City of New Orleans to locate every gun owner and either reimburse them for the full value of their firearms, or simply replace those guns outright.
"The Nagin administration has danced around this issue for 24 months," he continued. "At first they lied about having the guns at all, and then, threatened with a federal contempt order, admitted they did have the firearms. But the city, and its attorney, have done everything possible to stall and frustrate efforts to return those firearms to their rightful owners, despite a contempt citation from the court.
"We want those guns returned now," Gottlieb said. "If a firearm is permanently damaged due to the city's negligence, the owner should be given cash to replace the gun immediately, or the city should purchase a new firearm and give it to the rightful owner.
"Billions of dollars have been poured into the Katrina recovery effort," Gottlieb noted, "and some of that money should be used to replace those stolen firearms. Those guns were taken without due process, without warrant, and without probable cause, so they were essentially stolen from the people who owned them. It is long past the time when those guns should be given back."
The Second Amendment Foundation (http://www.saf.org/) is the nation's oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 600,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.
Second Amendment Foundation

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    But....but...but..the NRA said that they WON that lawsuit..and all was right with the world ???
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball, anybody can write up a bill of goods. Somebody is likely to buy it.
  • woodmaster9woodmaster9 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a related experience recently- at least a far as trying to get a gun back from the govt goes.

My home was burglarized about 4 years ago and four guns were stolen. About a year later, the police in my county called and said that one of the guns had been recovered in another county and they provided the contact information. Over the period of the next 2 1/2 yrs, I made dozens of calls to get my gun returned. It was obvious that they did not want to return it. Only after writing letters to every PD department head, the District Atty, and every county commissioner with a "hint" of a threat to sue did I get my gun back. When I finally got it back, it looked like it had been stored wet. The wooden grips were stained, warped and had mold growing on them. This stainless pistol also had a light covering of rust!

So- it took me 2 1/2 yrs to get this gun back. Here's the rest of the story. The guy that had it in his possession has a long rap sheet. He's done time for assault, drugs, burglary, theft, you name it. This was his 3rd arrest for possession of a gun by a convicted felon and his 2nd for possession during the commission of a crime. He had also been previously charged with possession by a drug user. How long did he stay in jail? About 3 months. He pled guilty at his arraignment and was released with time served.

I don't know why the local cops refuse to involve the feds. I guess it's a territory thing. Had he been charged for this crime by the feds, he would have gotten a mandatory 10 years with no parole.
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This guys is obviously a life criminal and needs to be taken out like the rabid dog he is. The legal system has deteriorated and no longer works. Unfortunatly he knows this and we can only hope he gets hit by a train before innocent people get hurt.
    Abort Cuomo
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    SAF was joined in the landmark lawsuit by the National Rifle Association

But....but...but..the NRA said that they WON that lawsuit..and all was right with the world ???

See what can happen when only one or two of your precious "not-the-NRA-groups" try to fight the politicians? Where was the compromise in this decision? SAF and Gottlieb lost on this count, the NRA won another round for the eventual fight in the Supreme Court, and the backseat drivers got another reason to whine.
    Did any of the big, bad "not-the-NRA" posters actually do anything other than read the results? Did they write, call, or email their reps to let them know that they won't stand for this injustice, or did they gleefully start typing to bash the NRA and continue the divisions they've created?
    Action without meaning is no action at all.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    SAF was joined in the landmark lawsuit by the National Rifle Association

See what can happen when only one or two of your precious "not-the-NRA-groups" try to fight the politicians? Where was the compromise in this decision? SAF and Gottlieb lost on this count, the NRA won another round for the eventual fight in the Supreme Court, and the backseat drivers got another reason to whine.
    Did any of the big, bad "not-the-NRA" posters actually do anything other than read the results? Did they write, call, or email their reps to let them know that they won't stand for this injustice, or did they gleefully start typing to bash the NRA and continue the divisions they've created?
    Action without meaning is no action at all.

Yawn....
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Anybody know what the hell he is talking about ?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Anybody know what the hell he is talking about ?

Nope, but it seemed like the usual "NRA Cult" babble to me. Hence the yawn......
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    zzzzZZZZZZzzzzz.
    Yea, I hear ya guys. I don't understand how something so simple...anyway....

quote:I had a related experience recently- at least a far as trying to get a gun back from the govt goes.

My home was burglarized about 4 years ago and four guns were stolen. About a year later, the police in my county called and said that one of the guns had been recovered in another county and they provided the contact information. Over the period of the next 2 1/2 yrs, I made dozens of calls to get my gun returned. It was obvious that they did not want to return it. Only after writing letters to every PD department head, the District Atty, and every county commissioner with a "hint" of a threat to sue did I get my gun back. When I finally got it back, it looked like it had been stored wet. The wooden grips were stained, warped and had mold growing on them. This stainless pistol also had a light covering of rust!

So- it took me 2 1/2 yrs to get this gun back. Here's the rest of the story. The guy that had it in his possession has a long rap sheet. He's done time for assault, drugs, burglary, theft, you name it. This was his 3rd arrest for possession of a gun by a convicted felon and his 2nd for possession during the commission of a crime. He had also been previously charged with possession by a drug user. How long did he stay in jail? About 3 months. He pled guilty at his arraignment and was released with time served.

I don't know why the local cops refuse to involve the feds. I guess it's a territory thing. Had he been charged for this crime by the feds, he would have gotten a mandatory 10 years with no parole.

So... the bad guy, who is is involved with crimes involving guns, your gun, gets the usual finger shake and pat on the bum "now go play" treatment, while you, the "law-abider" fight for 2 1/2 years to recover your ruined property from the govt. agency....

You know, if the founders were here, we'd be half way through the fight already. But even if they were more tolerant, like us, the whole New Orleans thing would have been the final straw.