In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recent CT home invasions

LKB3rdLKB3rd Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
Hey all, this is my first topic, as a member for only a few weeks. This was mentioned in the "Showed my cousins the AK"http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=255089 thread, and since it veered off topic there I figured I would start a thread about it. It might belong better in general discussion, but i think it fits here too.
I live in Connecticut. In the last several weeks the local paper has had two front page stories involving murders in the area, both in the victims home. The first made national news where the Doctor was beaten, and his family murdered in their home by the two felons. The second one was in the paper yesterday, I believe this 24 yr old woman was stabbed by her ex-husband/boyfriend in her home and died unfortunately. Permit applications have apparently increased as a result, which is a good thing, and leads to my second point.
In CT, it is harder to purchase a handgun legally than in probably most of the country, from what I have gathered reading here. They require a ccw permit to purchase any handgun in a dealer sale or private sale. Mine was just approved as of today. It took 6 weeks plus a mandatory permit class. I believe i paid $130 dollars, and the class was admittedly money well spent in terms of knowledge gained. The instructor was very good. The point is, it is neither fast easy nor cheap. I had to write 3 different checks to different agencies to pay for fingerprinting, and background checks and submit them with my application. I believe i have one more check to write for when i get my state permit.
I just figured it might be interesting to some here, to get a picture of what its like here.

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, welcome to the forum.

Second. It SUCKS when they can turn a "right" into a "revocable privilege" (CCW)

One of the things I really like about the internet, is that a person can find out what is REALLY happening out there. YES, a LOT of what you read on the internet is BS. But, you can learn a LOT as well.

For instance, the gun laws where you are at. (and other places) Before the internet, I thought everyone could just go down to the local gun store, pick one out, get a background check, and take it home.

What a surprise to find out about "FOID" cards, waiting periods, firearm restrictions. (other than class III) This kind of news wasn't in the "regular" media. Even if you scoured the newspapers, etc. you didn't see much (if anything) on the subject.

Most of my "firearm" related news was gathered from the NRA. What a DISAPPOINTMENT it was, when I found out about what "THEY" had REALLY been doing. [:(!]

I'm still learning how BAD it is in places. Only recently found out about CT, and how hard it is there to purchase a handgun. Didn't know the anti-gunners had gotten that far in your state. Still amazes me.
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    am I the only idiot who sleeps with a USP .40 under my pillow?

ALSO: I do have a ccdw and I fail to see how that lets you have a firearm at home..
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kyplumber

Can't say for sure, but I am an idiot who has XD under a pillow.

quote:
    ALSO: I do have a ccdw and I fail to see how that lets you have a firearm at home..

In CT, just like in NY, you can't purchase a handgun without a license which also allows you to carry.
  • Options
    SCPO RICESCPO RICE Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Ohio a CCW Permit is 35.00 and a course of about 100.00 dollars and it is good for 5 years. If you are an normal citizen with no criminal record.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian
    quote:Originally posted by kyplumber

Can't say for sure, but I am an idiot who has XD under a pillow.

quote:

In CT, just like in NY, you can't purchase a handgun without a license which also allows you to carry.

Yeah, Mine's an XD, too. That makes 2 to 1.[;)]
  • Options
    ww2buff9067ww2buff9067 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    South Dakota: last time I applied for a pistol permit it was 10 bucks and a background check. I'm due to renew shortly, I'll see if that changed. I've got a .45 by the nightstand, and M1 Carbine by the bedroom door, my Doberman died, so I got meaner [}:)], a toy poodle, and a wife who knows how to shoot. Nobody stands a snowball's chance in Hades if they try to bust in here and hurt us.
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    here it is 60.00 and the course....whatever that is...........i refuse to pay for someting that is my RIGHT in this country