In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Real American tears down Mexican Flag

WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
This afternoon in Reno, Nevada, about 5 blocks from where I work, a Mexican restaurant was flying a flagpole with the Mexican flag ABOVE the American flag. Several callers to the local AM radio station phoned this in. Around 5pm, a male U.S. Army veteran walked up to the flagpole, cut both flags down, carried away the U.S. flag and left the Mexican flag on the ground. The owner of the restaurant was standing a few feet away, stunned, and proceeded to pick up the Mexican flag and carry it into the restaurant.

A news crew from Reno NBC Channel 4 had just arrived to film the flags and caught the whole thing on camera. The video is amazing. I don't think it has hit the internet yet, but I anticipate this is going to be big. I will post it as soon as it becomes available.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    The video is up on the Channel 4 website:

http://www.krnv.com/

I will provide a direct link to the video shortly.

EDIT:
    Here is the direct link to the story and video:
    http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7156726
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    WW;
    This is simply splendid. Thanks for posting, and the followup.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Now that's my kind of American! The REAL kind.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    Awesome! If only more people had the balls to do the same.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My kind of man!!!

Did any of you notice toward the end that the illegal immigrants of Reno plan a march?!?!

Now would be the time to round them all up and brand them, before sending them back. Return to this country with the brand, and its an automatic death sentence; no questions asked.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    It is nice to see there are a few patriots with guts left. We need more like this one!
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah go him...!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Did any of you notice toward the end that the illegal immigrants of Reno plan a march?!?!

The illegals have been riled up around here for the past week. Last Thursday, I.C.E. raided 11 McDonald's franchises around the Reno/Sparks area and arrested over 50 illegals that were working there. Supposedly this week the illegals have been "boycotting" businesses (not sure who exactly they are targeting) and tomorrow they are going to march on the Federal Courthouse in downtown Reno.

Last year there were raids on construction sites, with similar outcomes and protests. I have not heard anymore about the gentleman that confiscated the flag, but I think it would be very unwise for the business owner to press charges.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh hell....Consider me in the minority here

It pains me to see Old Glory disrespected. There are few things I love more than my flag and my country, but the constitution is one.

The 1st amemendment recognizes freedom of expression as a God given right

In my life I've seen Old Glory beneath several flags...State flags, The Confederate Flag...I've even seen it displayed (believe it or not) below the University of Kentucky Flag thats in my sig line. It pisses me off when I see it, but I have no more right to tear down their Mexican flag than they do to tear down the flag that flies on my property.

Don't patronize the resturant....organize a boycott....burn a pile of Mexican flags in your front yard....but (if he is a citizen) don't infringe upon his freedom of expression or his rights as a property owner.

When I say "I don't agree with your opinion, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" I mean it.

That being said, I'd be happy if he'd take his ungrateful * back to Mexico
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Understood, Rack Ops. And I agree, in principle. But at what point does our respect for others' rights (especially those who don't give a rat's * about our rights) handcuff us from being able to defend our own freedoms?

Another example... when fighting against a bunch of Turd World scumbags, who don't believe that we should even be allowed to exist (let alone honor things like the Geneva Convention, etc.), why should we then handicap ourselves by following our own self-imposed rules of morality, righteousness, and fair-play?
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf

Another example... when fighting against a bunch of Turd World scumbags, who don't believe that we should even be allowed to exist (let alone honor things like the Geneva Convention, etc.), why should we then handicap ourselves by following our own self-imposed rules of morality, righteousness, and fair-play?

This is where the "America First" part of me kicks in.

War is a dirty buisness. To be successful, you must be willing to fight dirty. If an American soldier finds himself in a "fair fight" on the battlefield, his superiors have let him down.

As far as laws of land warfare go, those treaties were ratified so that combatants no longer had the fear of torture or other "inhumane" activities. If the other combatant did not ratify the treaty, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't apply to him.

The rules (or lack therof) of warfare don't apply to the political discourse between American citizens. As the saying goes "Membership has its privilages".
  • Options
    johnny yumajohnny yuma Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    good for him[:D]

i wish he would of shredded their ugly green flag before he walked away.

I live in So Cal and it is a mess over here they do as they please and no one does nothing to them.
    i wish they would start raiding the business's over here.
    two years ago i drove from So Cal to Pennsylvania and in every beautiful town we stopped in they were there. made us sick, to know its not just in our area but all over this great country.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    World Net Daily article and interview with Jim Broussard:
    http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=57960

Statement released by the Nevada ACLU regarding the incident:

"The ACLU of Nevada is concerned about recent media reports that it is "illegal" to fly foreign flags over the U.S. flag.

While there is indeed a federal law regulating the display of the U.S. flag, that law is merely advisory and simply codifies standard government practice in displaying the American flag.

Several federal courts have examined this law and held that the flag rules are not mandatory and cannot be enforced. Indeed, if the federal flag rules were mandatory, they would clearly violate the First Amendment, which protects every American's right to speak and express themselves, including their choice of flag to display.

In 1989, the Supreme Court held that we even have the right to burn our own flag, which had been outlawed by 48 states. Our robust and meaningful democracy is built upon our First Amendment, which protects our right to express ourselves even when - indeed, particularly when - that expression is distasteful or unpopular.

We at the ACLU wholeheartedly support the First Amendment rights of all, and this includes the right of the press to publish stories as they see fit. Of course, this right necessarily means that sometimes the media may get it wrong.

However, we urge the media to take the opportunity to correct misinformation, especially about our rights and the criminal law.

The media is a powerful tool in informing the public, and this is an opportunity to tell the world that the First Amendment is alive and well, and protects everyone's right to fly whatever flag they wish on their property."
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure there is a certain right that makes someone able to fly a foreign flag of a country that is invading us from the south flyable over the US flag, but with all rights come responsibilities.

I wish that veteran had just taken down the mexican flag and put the US flag where it belongs. Walking off with the flag is stealing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jim Broussard appeared today on Neil Cavuto's show. Video is at the Fox News website:

http://www.foxnews.com/yourworld/

Also, this afternoon he was on the local "Bill Manders Show" for 3 hours. Jim sounded like a very pleasant and peaceful man, but also a true patriot with conviction. He may yet face criminal charges as pro-immigrant groups are trying to sway the business owner to press charges. If that does happen and Jim gets arrested, then things could get very interesting very quickly.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    ugh. I do hope they press charges, thing have to get interesting sooner or later, this could be a great catalyst.