In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

%25 increase for ammo prices at wally world

YoshiYoshi Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
Went to get some ammo tonight at Wal- mart and asked if the rumor of a %25 increase was fact or fiction, the cashier replyed its no rumor.
The reason she said was explained to wal-mart employees via email, the increase is to promote gun safety by making ammo to expensive for people to buy.
Thats not gun safety, its gun control being disguised as a safety issue.
we all need to get out and vote, get involved, promote our sport and fight back or we will loose it.

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:we all need to get out and vote
    But I think your man is in office ?
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a Dillon, stock pile gun powder, bullets, primers, and shell cases. Ammo is like gas, its never going down in price. The government is going to try and tax us out of our guns.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The e-mail explanation sounds fishy. When I worked retail, prices went up on lots of items and never once was there an explanation as to why. If Wal-Mart wants to raise prices on ammo then that is their right to do so. I doubt they would send out an explanation, especially when there are plenty of other non-political reasons to do so (increased price of base metals, increased shipping costs, etc.). As a retailer, I doubt they would want to intentionally inject a political motivation into their price increase.

Anyway, regardless of the motivation, I will shop around until I find the cheapest seller. If Wal-Mart doesn't want to be in the ammo business anymore then that is fine. They also won't get my other dollars on the gallon of milk, jug of whiskey, new shirt, etc., that I usually buy when I am picking up a brick of .22LR.
  • Options
    woodmaster9woodmaster9 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Don't shop at Walmart. They suck. Go to a real gun store. I don't shop there because they build a store on every street corner around here.. lowering property values and screwing up traffic. If it weren't for them, there might be a few places left to shoot! Go to a real gun shop.
    2. To be fair to the (greedy) Walton heirs, ammo prices are going up fast due to both "armed conflicts" and oil prices. Conflicts overseas have created shortages of military calibers and ammo makers have cut back on other calibers to increase production on the military stuff. Also, a lot of oil is burned to produce metals such as lead, brass, copper, steel, etc. A wholesale ammo salesman at the gun shop last week said that there will be another 15% increase in early September.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So we should shop at the greedy gunshop instead ?
    The place where prices are marked up 10% over retail...and the owner depends upon the ignorance of the typical gunowner to carry the day ?

Greed, friend, doesn't stop at the door of Wal-mart when you walk out.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    So we should shop at the greedy gunshop instead ?
    The place where prices are marked up 10% over retail...and the owner depends upon the ignorance of the typical gunowner to carry the day ?

Greed, friend, doesn't stop at the door of Wal-mart when you walk out.

+1. 10% wouldn't be that bad either, try getting 9x18 Makarov ammo, local gunshops sell it at 100% markup.

I don't think though it's the problem specifically with gun shops, it's "small business" in general. Most people aren't very good businessmen, gun shop owners aren't much of an exception.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The gun shop might be a little bit more expensive but at least you can get better selection and the advice and conversation with someone who knows guns instead of some pimple-faced punk that ignores you because he is to busy playing with his ipod or cell phone.

If you think your local shop is ripping you off, find another. They are not all crooks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's a moot point anyway. WM is phasing out guns and ammo. I know they still sell in some areas, but here in the Atlanta area they no longer sell guns at all and I'm told that the only ammo they have is the cheap promo .22s and a few shotgun shells. I'm sure that it's only a matter of time before they stop completely.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been in guns for 50 years. Took 2 years of gunsmithing. Been repairing them for most of those 50 years. Not by any means an expert..just know a bit about them.
    The typical gun store employee is a bull snit artist..interested in selling something, rather then in educating someone about this or that firearm.
    Let some woman walk in the door, and instantly testosterone is the order of the day...and if there are several clerks...they ALL try to impress the 'little lady' with their vast knowledge of firearms..generally steering her towards some pipsqueak caliber unsuitable for shooting mice..all without the faintest clue as to what she can handle.

And.yes.I live around Tulsa.and ALL the local gun shops are rip-offs..unless you prefer paying full retail + whatever mark-up is the order of the day.

Frankly.I think ALL gun shops today are nothing but legalized graft..enforced by federal laws.and given free rein by having absolutely no competition any more.
  • Options
    Sith LordSith Lord Member Posts: 480
    edited November -1
    Imagine that.......[:(!]
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Highball regarding the typical gun store mentality. Whenever I walk into most gun stores I feel like I have entered a pissing contest. Very rarely do I find what I am looking for, and if I do it is usually outrageously overpriced, and I get an earful of boasts, unsolicited advice, and sometimes plain ignorance.

I don't buy a lot of ammo at Wal-Mart, maybe an occassional brick of .22 or bulk pack of 12-gauge. I can go down to Sportsman's Warehouse and get it for about the same price, and have a much more pleasant shopping experience. And next month they will be opening a Cabela's in Reno, and in a year a Scheel's is opening, so I will probably stick to those retailers for now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess I'm just lucky that the two shops I do business with aren't like that at all.. Both are staffed by older gentlemen who are genuinely helpful and friendly. They are not the cheapest but they make up for it in real old-fashioned service. I have, however, been in shops that are exactly as you describe. Usually they're the ones staffed with some tough-guy 20-year-old know-it-alls.

The Sportsmans Warehouse / Bass Pro Shop is a good place. They have a pretty good selection with pricing in line with WM... plus, they ocassionally run real sales! Last summer I bought 2 cases of 9mm at 3.88 per box. Wow! I've also had good luck online with Midway, Cheaper than Dirt, and Sportsmans Guide.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Woodmaster;
    Treasure them like the jewels they are.

WW pointed out something that I had glossed over...the typical "Rambo" attitude of many of the clerks. Most have actually shot a gun once..so instantly they are 'gun men'...I cannot count the times I have ben in gun stores and wanted to scream...as the clerk explained earnstly some treasured bit of B.S. folklore to some pilgram.
    I have developed to a fine degree the few times I go into a store...when the clerk bustles up to inquire.."Need Help"?? NOPE...I Don't.
  • Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    I have been in guns for 50 years. Took 2 years of gunsmithing. Been repairing them for most of those 50 years. Not by any means an expert..just know a bit about them.
    The typical gun store employee is a bull snit artist..interested in selling something, rather then in educating someone about this or that firearm.
    Let some woman walk in the door, and instantly testosterone is the order of the day...and if there are several clerks...they ALL try to impress the 'little lady' with their vast knowledge of firearms..generally steering her towards some pipsqueak caliber unsuitable for shooting mice..all without the faintest clue as to what she can handle.

And.yes.I live around Tulsa.and ALL the local gun shops are rip-offs..unless you prefer paying full retail + whatever mark-up is the order of the day.

Frankly.I think ALL gun shops today are nothing but legalized graft..enforced by federal laws.and given free rein by having absolutely no competition any more.

HighBall nails it again........... I have been to one gunshop that had competetive prices, good conversation {if you're into that sort of thing} and a very helpful staff {which was 1 guy} the place went out of business because the owner {who was never there} fired the 1 guy because he thought he was selling guns too cheaply. The ownwer {who I bet some of you have done business with on the auction side} relied on the ignorance of the generic gunowner {the guys who think Bush is a pro-gun conservative} and expected we would pay no matter what the markup was-he was wrong.
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    most of these shops are run by the younger set......they expect that,everyone is an idiot,and owes them a hefty living....been my experiance anyhow.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 gun stores in my area. The one I frequent sells ammunition at the same prices as cheaper than dirt, which is a great deal once you consider the shipping costs. His guns are reasonably priced, and he is very knowledgable. At the other store, everything is overpriced. Just depends on the owner. But I'd wager that there are more ripoffs than deals.

But once again, I am impressed when my gun shop of choice beats the cheaper than dirt price. [:)]
  • Options
    shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before Bill Clinton we had 280,000 FFL's . Most off them were referred to as kitchen table dealers . Most sold at cost plus 10% . Most did it for the love of it . A part time job . Now we only have about 46,000 FFL's .
    The Clinton's intimidated them with support of the brick and mortar dealer right out of the show. Some of us KTD refused to give it up. If you aren't happy just look for one of us and support them .
    Ammo prices are going up like it or not . It stores well in used ammo cans . Lead shot wholesale price in three years from $9 to $28 , and will be at $40 by next year. All of you tite wads dig in and buy it now . Reload , stockpile component , learn to pore lead . Buy it by the case.
    The dollar isn't worth any thing any more .[8D][8D]
  • Options
    SahaganBetaSahaganBeta Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whether it's lumber, hardware, guns and supplies, or hamburgers, it's a seller's market today.

That means there are enough people, with enough money, that if you don't like the retailer's business model, or attitude, or prices, you can just walk right back out the door. They know the percentages are on their side, and the next guy to walk through the door may pay retail plus 20 percent without ever blinking.

Me? I'm looking forward to the day when it's a buyer's market, and competition means lower prices, better quality, and proper service. And when that day comes (and I expect it will) it'll be time for some payback in my mind.

And Wal-Mart is first on my list for having a good excuse to go somewhere else.

Sahagan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There was a day and time I, too, decried doing business with Wal- Mart.

No longer.

If my 20 or 50 or hundred dollars makes the wheels come off 1 moment or five moments sooner..I am all for it.
    Totally non-violent, totally legal, and totally destructive to Amerika..whats not to like ?
    The Elites destroying us...and the brain-dead masses aiding and abeting that destuction..are so far along as to be unstoppable.

Power to every man getting himself down there to buy ammunition, guns and suchlike. One just never knows which box of cartridges is the one that will carry the day, some fine day in the future.

Some day, on the other side of freedom, when a new America is born from the ashes..we might erect a monument to Wal-Mart..as an eternal symbol of business greed...and a shining example of stupidity and brain-washing of the masses.