In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

They Gave $1 Mil to NRA.......

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
Just read in the latest Guns magazine, courtesy of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, that Co-CEO of Springfield Armory, Dennis Reese, announced a $1 Million donatation to kick off the NRA's new Competitive Shooting & National Championships Endowment.

Let's see now. Springfield has long made some high quality firearms designed for the civilian market. It is incredibly difficult for any company to prosper and survive. In order to survive the executivies of that surviving company must have a source of support and money to start out, be smart, shrewd and be very, very aware of what is going on in America at any given time; especially in regards to gun rights, etc.

So now I am faced with a question. Quite obviously, Springfield, one of those successful companies, believe so strongly in the NRA that they are willing to fork over one million dollars.. That is one million real and hard reasons that they believe in the NRA.

Yet I encounter many here who do not believe in the NRA. People who have not acheived the level of success (just as I have not) of EVER being able to donate one millions dollars to ANY pro-gun organization. In fact, many of these doubters gripe and whine about the $25-35 yearly NRA dues and the frequent request for donation from the NRA.

So.........let me decide. Should I be influenced by the NRA doubters who are just happy to have a decent paying job and buy a few guns now and then? Or should I pay a million dollars worth of attention to what Springfield Armory did in SUPPORT of the NRA?

Any bets on which way I decide to go on this one?

Comments

• Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox

Any bets on which way I decide to go on this one?

I could have told you what your decision would be before I read the post.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Oh my God! Clearly I have been wrong about the true track record of the NRA and their 80 years of support for federal restrictions on firearms and infringements of Amendment II.

The fact that someone with lots of money supports them is an absolute indication that what the NRA has been doing is constitutionally correct.

Following this logic, I can be assured that anything that the billionaire George Soros, the Rockafeller's and other rich folks and foundations lend financial support for, is also good for America and constitutionally correct. This translates to ALL corporations and companies that donate large sums of money to various causes I suppose.

I feel so relieved to finally learn the truth and to have been given an accurate litmus test to gauge constitutional actions. I can now take a fresh look at every previous belief I had about those organization seemingly doing damage to America and see if they have had large donations. If so, they are okay it seems.[^][^][^]

***Note**** For those who are not aware, I am labeled as a notorious NRA "basher" her on GB. The above post is full of sarcasm.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Let us think a moment.
    1 Million dollars, 'given' to the NRA.

Or..perhaps..payoff for supporting and pushing an unConstitutional Industry Protection bill last year.
    Instead of DEMANDING that Judges abide by the Constitution.

After all...if suddenly Judges started enforcing and making Judgements based on the Constitution..it might go against the aims of some organizations.
  • Options
    br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    are you one of the NRA traitors that want the new vets disarmament gun control law? you sound like the nra has you brainwashed to obey and ask no questions. they don't like questions why they support gun control.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rsr1950;
    For the less educated among us..how about revealing whom you are addressing ?

Welcome to the forum...and from the sounds of it...you will be more then welcome.
    I believe that the days of unquestioning loyality and unending streams of money being sent to the NRA are drawing to a close..as the truth dawns on more and more people.
    Save for the hopelessly addicted to abuse types, of course...and the closet anti-gunners that pretend to be pro Second Amendment.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hillary Clinton gets huge donations, she MUST be good for us.
    Charles Schumer gets huge donations, he MUST be good for us.
    Diane Feinstein gets huge donations, she MUST be good for us.
    Ted Kennedy, oh no, I can NOT even go there. [:(!]
    You have tried this logic before, it did not work then, it will not work now.

I will make this point though. Springfield Armory gave the donation to "NRA's new
    Competitive Shooting & National Championships Endowment.

NOT the NRA-ILA.
    The political side of the NRA.

I have said before, that the "Friends of the NRA" deserves all the funds it can get. Funds collected by the Friends of the NRA are NOT used by the NRA-ILA.

100% of the net proceeds goes to benefit The NRA Foundation, with half allocated to fund projects within the state where the money was raised. The NRA Foundation uses the other half to fund similar projects on a national level.

Projects such as, youth education, firearms safety classes, Second Amendment education, 4-H shooting sports, the boy scouts, habitat restoration, and many more. Again, NONE of the money goes to the political side of the NRA.

Along those same lines, I will give a pat on the back to Springfield Armory. The money donated "AS AN ENDOWMENT" (which will continue to grow) is a VERY GOOD thing. Here is a little of what that money will do.

quote:The income from Springfield Armory's million-dollar gift won't just help fund events at Camp Perry-it will also help underwrite other programs such as collegiate competitions, air gun competitions for juniors, disabled shooting tournaments for veterans and other events all across the country-as directed by the donor. It will ensure our ability to continue exercising our right to keep and bear arms through competitive shooting.

Let the NRA do what it is GOOD at, with projects such as the above.

If we get the 800 lb. Gorilla fighting WITH us, Constitutionally speaking, for the right to keep and bear arms, their funding could grow as well.....until then..........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Hillary Clinton gets huge donations, she MUST be good for us.
    Charles Schumer gets huge donations, he MUST be good for us.
    Diane Feinstein gets huge donations, she MUST be good for us.
    Ted Kennedy, oh no, I can NOT even go there. [:(!]
    You have tried this logic before, it did not work then, it will not work now.

I will make this point though. Springfield Armory gave the donation to "NRA's new
    Competitive Shooting & National Championships Endowment.

NOT the NRA-ILA.
    The political side of the NRA.

I have said before, that the "Friends of the NRA" deserves all the funds it can get. Funds collected by the Friends of the NRA are NOT used by the NRA-ILA.

100% of the net proceeds goes to benefit The NRA Foundation, with half allocated to fund projects within the state where the money was raised. The NRA Foundation uses the other half to fund similar projects on a national level.

Projects such as, youth education, firearms safety classes, Second Amendment education, 4-H shooting sports, the boy scouts, habitat restoration, and many more. Again, NONE of the money goes to the political side of the NRA.

Along those same lines, I will give a pat on the back to Springfield Armory. The money donated "AS AN ENDOWMENT" (which will continue to grow) is a VERY GOOD thing. Here is a little of what that money will do.

quote:The income from Springfield Armory's million-dollar gift won't just help fund events at Camp Perry-it will also help underwrite other programs such as collegiate competitions, air gun competitions for juniors, disabled shooting tournaments for veterans and other events all across the country-as directed by the donor. It will ensure our ability to continue exercising our right to keep and bear arms through competitive shooting.

Let the NRA do what it is GOOD at, with projects such as the above.

If we get the 800 lb. Gorilla fighting WITH us, Constitutionally speaking, for the right to keep and bear arms, their funding could grow as well.....until then..........

Just a reminder, so that I am not completely labeled as an "NRA Basher"..... Not that I really care, but I agree with pickenup on the Friends of NRA side of the house.

I have been a committee member for some time and we are generally the top fundraiser's for the endowment, not only in the state, but usually in the top 10 in the nation.

If the NRA would stick to this kind of action (range development, youth education etc.) and stay out of the RTKBA arena, at least as their position has been, than things would be better and we would have less brainwashed gun-owners out there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Highball, i was not pointing a finger at you, or anyone else. i mean no disrespect to anyone here, everyone has the right to his opinion. i am a life member of the NRA. they do good things, but it seems to me the president and executive vice president,are too eager to give OUR gun rights to the anti gun people. they support the HR 2640 and the senate version. well i'm the nra as 3 million americans are. the officers didn't ask me if i supported this new gun control law. most if not all elected officers except Ted Nugent, seem to want guns taken away from thousands of americans who have never even had a parking ticket.making them, and perhaps me and you criminals. as long as the money keeps rolling in so they can live their high lifestyle, and go on Safari 2 or 3 times a year. the pres and others say this is a good law.i disagree they think like the senators and congresspersons we are brainwashed sheep, and are not suspose to disagree with them, and are to dumb to ask questions.Have you tried to speak to the pres or vice pres? i have several times they will not take or return a phone call or answer a letter or email.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rsr1950;
    My advice is worth what it cost you...nothing. However...I urge you to think about something.
    If we cannot 'disrespect' anti-gunners..who CAN we disrespect ? Who is more worthy of it ?

Personally..I view anti-gunners as FAR more dangerous then pedophiles.

Now...HOW can I SAY SUCH A TERRIBLE THING ?
    That child molestor will get to a finate number of kids.
    The Anti-gunner is seeking to destroy America. EVERY child and adult in America.
    Guns, friend, bought and paid for Freedom here in America...and guns in the hands of decent people ensure what little remains.
    Every person signing off on NICS checks, waiting periods, the Batf...those people trust the government more then they trust the people....a sure sign of mental problems.

Point fingers...DISRESPECT people. How the hell else do we make sure there is a clear dividing line between Second Amendment supporters..and government lovers ?
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fox!!! [:(!]

I know there are a number of people here who are very fed up with the NRA, including me. They have done and are doing some stuff that is counterproductive to the right to keep and bear arms, and that is the incontrovertible truth.

Do you not get that some of us want to see this change?? When we can win outright, they compromise. The problem, when they compromise, we lose. Look at the situation from an objective point. A compromise is not a compromise at all. When the anti's want to steal our firearms, and we only surrender a portion of them, they won!!! We lost!!!

Get it?!?! The anti's didn't lose anything. Any ground they get is ground we are giving up. They aren't giving up things in exchange.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Highball, i think we agree about anti gun people. perhaps i wasn't very clear. i think the president,and executive vice president of the nra are selling us out.
    I am firmly against any new anti gun law. the officers of the nra have teamed up with the anti 2nd amendment senators and congresspersons like congresslady McCarthy from NY, senator Shumer NY. Senator kennedy MA. and others. congresslady McCarthy's sole purpose in life is to take our 2nd amendment rights away, along with many others. i will admit i am no where near the smartest person, or the highest educated person on this forum or even this subject. i do feel the leadership of the nra has stabbed all members in the back by agreeing with a law that in my thinking will take more of our rights away. these people are trying to destroy america with their stupid laws.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If Springfield armory had not meanieized taken and corrupted a once proud name in American Arms by off-shoring virtually all of its production, the donation would have value.

As it stands, they have minimal U.S. production employees, charge about the same for their imported guns as U.S. producers, and buy 'American Credentials' by supporting the NRA. Does anyone still wonder why Springfield Armory has received handgun of the year from the National Rifleman three times over the past 6 years? As with anything, this donation, though no doubt will be spent well in the promotion of the shooting sports, is, like virtually all corporate donations, self-serving.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rsr1950;
    You are among friends here. Most of us have looked hard at the NRA...and found it wanting.

There are still a few defending the organization...more so over to General...but most that post in this forum are critical thinkers..and unwilling to give up yet more in the interest of 'compromise'.

My only point of dinging you was to make perfectly clear to the NRA supporters that you were talking about THEM..and not one of the folks here that 'get it'....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I find it AMAZING in THIS day of easy acess to information, how some people can POSSIBLY be so blissfully ingorant, right TR?

I have caught your old buddy Wayne LaPuke, talking out of both sides of his mouth too. Difference is, I really know how you both stand on the issue of RTKABA. Does Teddy and Dianne tuck you both in at night? At LEAST the Bardy bunch is forthright about what they think. They have no use for two agendas. Why do you? Can't you JUST be honest?

One can wish I guess.......
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Let us think a moment.
    1 Million dollars, 'given' to the NRA.

Or..perhaps..payoff for supporting and pushing an unConstitutional Industry Protection bill last year.
    Instead of DEMANDING that Judges abide by the Constitution.

Welll duhhhhhhh! It took you a "moment" highball?? It took me a half a moment to figure that out[:D][:D]

It really is amazing how snowed the NRA has their supporters.
    "Well gee, the NRA must be doing a good job protecting the second amendment, cause Springfield armory gave them a million bucks. Of course they gave them the dough because they see that the NRA is"fightin for our rights".
    Certainly couldnt have anything to do with how Springfield armory benefits from the unconstitutional industry protection bill that the NRA fought so hard for.
    TRFOX- It isnt about freedom-it is big business, pure and simple.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr doesn't seem to be too interested in defending his position...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    tr doesn't seem to be too interested in defending his position...

He seldom is. Something about "defending the indefensible" I suppose....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tr has a forlorn hope. He hopes that things can go back to 'normal'..unquestioning devotion to the NRA.

He drops these 'little pearls' among the swine on a regular basis...forgetting, after awhile;
    These swine can think for themselves...and unlikely to drink deeply of the koolaid of subservience to Brooks Bro. suits.