In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Petition For Open Carry Of Handguns In Texas

TexasOpenCarryTexasOpenCarry Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hello everyone. I just started a petition to the State Legislature and Governor Rick Perry for the open carry of handguns in Texas. Please take a look.

http://www.petitiononline.com/texasoc/petition.html

For more information on open carry please visit www.opencarry.org

You can also join the Texas Citizen Defense League at www.txcdl.org and help to fight for your Constitutional rights.

Why are so many people so eager to let some one else stand for them?

What do you guys think the actual ratio of accidents would take place due to open carry in stead of concealed.

Do all people that have the concealed license have the ability to draw their weapon and prevent any and all criminals from taking it from them!
I guess this should be practiced in real life situations.
ANY VOLUNTEERS?

Please tell everyone you know about this petition. We should not have to ask permission, nor should we be limited to concealed carry, to protect ourselves, our friends, and family.

Sincerely,
Ian

Comments

• Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Ian, good luck on your efforts. I have not yet fully thought of all the ramifications of open carry. CCW is more discreet, of course, and less likely to freak folks out. Here in Wyoming, my wife and I open carry when we are on public lands -- but I am disinclined to do so in Wal-Mart. However, I wish the best for you and the good folks of Texas.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Texas;
    I have little comment on your petition.
    My opinion tends to get ugly when it comes to crawling to slimy suits so we can get permission to buy and carry a weapon.

That being said...I have recently changed my mind about open carry. A friend of a friend was gunned down in a fence dispute with a neighbor.

"Joe" was expecting some trouble...and was openly carrying a .45. Working on a tractor.
    The neighbor drove up in a lawn tractor, pulling a small trailer..in which was several rakes, hoes, ect.
    Upon reaching "Joe"..who had been watching carefully, and seeing nothing out of the ordinary..the neighbor reached into the trailer and pulled out a shotgun that had been nestled into the tools therein.
    The neighbor killed two people within 20 seconds, that day...then took his own life...
    Had "Joe" been carrying concealed..the neighbor may well have spent some time jawing first..giving "Joe" a fighting chance.

That all being said..where the hell does the government get off..telling Soverign Citizens where, when, and HOW Liberties' Teeth may be used ?
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Pure conjecture.
    Open carry is perfectly legal just one state West of Texas, and thanks to the (5 years' worth of) efforts of very few gunowners and some really dedicated individuals like myself; we now can carry concealed legally. If we choose, we can carry concealed ILLEGALLY; but it's been changed to a misdemeanor instead of a felony.

Sorry to hear about Joe, but if he'd been a little more aware of his neighbor; he'd have gotten off a few shots first. His only fault was assuming that the hostile neighbor would become docile after seeing his manhood extender dangling off his belt, and ignored an approaching threat. Col. Cooper used to call this,"Condition White".

TOC- Good luck in your fledgling effort, you will be in for a fight that you and other gun owners must win. If I were going to start something like this, I would first get the requirements for carry in a vehicle smoothed up a bit, then incrementally try to get county by county to sign on. Use neighboring states' laws as an example to reword and craft your own. Remind your legislators that free men with arms died at the Alamo to preserve Texas' sovereignty, and anything less than firearms freedom for Texans is unacceptable.