In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SCOTUS Will Hear Washington DC Case

xericoxerico Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
Here is the link.

http://tinyurl.com/2pqvuj

I personally believe that the SCOTUS will rule in favor of the individual's right to bear arms. I believe that the SCOTUS will find the DC Ban unconstitutional.

Xerico

Edited ONLY to shorten url.

Comments

• Options
    triple223taptriple223tap Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who has faith the SCOTUS will interpret the 2nd correctly?
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the ban will be struck down....

I think we have 4 solid votes easily....Thomas, Roberts, Scalia, Alito...

Kennedy will likely be the swing vote

Worst case, in my opinion, will be an affirmation of an "individual right"........but tied to some need to "regulate" the militia.

My best guess is that bans will be struck down, but registration will be upheld
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just came to the conclusion that it's ALL been a delay tactic. I have been doing some looking at ALL the information I've compiled over just the last two years. I was preparing a response to the thread jpwolf pulled up from Oct. '03 http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77655 and make a comment on Constitutional interpretation as applied to why the 2nd Amendment hasn't been addressed by the Supreme Court. There was just too much, damning information to post it all again, that proves my point!!! Now, they can rule in our favor. They have enough laws on the books to make criminals out of most of us a will. The plan TO MILITARIZE THE USA is in place the ability to declare martial law is in place at the Federal Level by Presidential Executive Order. And at the Many State Levels by
    The Model State Emergency Health Powers Act. By using "for the common good" interpretation, they have sold the bill of goods necessary to meet their objectives!! Some feel safer for it but the fact is: we're screwed no matter how SCOTUS decides the case now!!!

I could repost some of the links, to supporting data, but most of you have seen them over the last two years. I figure it a futile effort to do that now.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Considering the makeup of the court at present, vs what it has been for quite a while, along with the very real possibility of a Democratic president teaming up with a democratic controlled legislature, in the not so distant future. Who do you think "they" would put on the bench?

If not now, when? We have the best chance of a favorable ruling being handed down now, than we have had in decades. Let's not pass this problem down to our children, and their children, as has been done to us. If we are to become slaves to the elite, a third world country, revolt, or whatever, lets get it on and get it over.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by triple223tap
    Who has faith the SCOTUS will interpret the 2nd correctly?

I think they will not hear it period.

If they rule the right way, it will spell disaster for tons of pages of gun kontrol laws throughout the country, possibly even the Nazi Weapons Law of '68, and thus, render the FOPA'86 nullified, and I don't think they want this.

If they rule the wrong way on it, they will be the prelude to the 2nd Civil War.

Best way to deal with it.... let the DC handgun ban die, that way the damage against the plan is localized...
  • Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't get your hopes up on this one. Consider this from the Washington Post:

"The court this time rejected the wording of the issues framed for review by the parties and selected its own to identify the legal claim it wishes to resolve. It's basic: Does D.C.'s ban "violate the Second Amendment rights of individuals who are not affiliated with any state-regulated militia, but who wish to keep handguns and other firearms for private use in their homes?" There is little room for mealy-mouthdom there."

The court is tying the right to the "well regulated militia" and calling it a state-regulated militia. Most gun owners are not members of such an organization and, with this in mind, do not have a right to guns according to this line of reasoning. At best we will get a local law judgement for DC and let the states or localities make their own laws, meaning status quo and increasing regulation in the states already headed in that direction. It would also open the door to greater federal intervention.

I am not hopeful with this ruling and continue to see our individual rights in peril of being slowly and inexorably eroded.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the SCOTUS has said "so far" is that they will HEAR the case. They have not even STARTED hearing the arguments for each side.

I do not believe that ANY "media" (or ANY one else) KNOWS what the SCOTUS is going to do at this point. They are simply guessing, and/or somehow trying to influence the outcome. Wishful thinking only.
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pickenup:

I heard yesterday that a decision will not be forthcoming until sometime in May.