In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need advice on transporting reg. pistol to NYS

cyberdoggcyberdogg Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
NYS - New York State.

I plan to relocate to Rochester in upstate New York to settle there as a new resident.

I will drive from Utah to NY with the pistol and ammo separate and the pistol locked in the container in the passenger's seat.

I don't travel long distance and would like to keep the pistol legal at all times when settling in a new state known for its anti-gun rights attitude in legislative and governing bodies.

Can I bring the pistol in a locked container along with other items i.e. gun cleaning product and remaining ammunition and not be treated like a lawbreaker while attempting to register to obtain gun permit?

Or do I have to leave the pistol to the trustworthy family member in Utah for safekeeping until my non-resident status expire to become a legal resident and I'm able to obtain pistol permit before bringing in my pistol (since it's 1911 type, it can be disassembled in parts) through secure mail (unless otherwise prohibited)?

I may also obtain CCW (it was easy in Utah) in upstate NY, but it might be more restrictive.

The reason I move is to attend college and visit the national parks for hiking/camping.

I've read New York City regulation is insane in terms of difficulty to obtain the handgun and CCW permit at the sole discretion of NYPD (except for celebrities, politically connected and financially wealthy).

Comments

• Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will need to have them sent from an FFL in Utah, to an FFL here in New York.
    You will have to apply for a NYS pitol permit that may take as long as 6 months. Then you can pick up your handguns at the FFL in Rochester. SUCKS ![xx(]
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cyberdogg
    NYS - New York State.

I plan to relocate to Rochester in upstate New York to settle there as a new resident.

I will drive from Utah to NY with the pistol and ammo separate and the pistol locked in the container in the passenger's seat.

I don't travel long distance and would like to keep the pistol legal at all times when settling in a new state known for its anti-gun rights attitude in legislative and governing bodies.

Can I bring the pistol in a locked container along with other items i.e. gun cleaning product and remaining ammunition and not be treated like a lawbreaker while attempting to register to obtain gun permit?

Or do I have to leave the pistol to the trustworthy family member in Utah for safekeeping until my non-resident status expire to become a legal resident and I'm able to obtain pistol permit before bringing in my pistol (since it's 1911 type, it can be disassembled in parts) through secure mail (unless otherwise prohibited)?

I may also obtain CCW (it was easy in Utah) in upstate NY, but it might be more restrictive.

The reason I move is to attend college and visit the national parks for hiking/camping.

I've read New York City regulation is insane in terms of difficulty to obtain the handgun and CCW permit at the sole discretion of NYPD (except for celebrities, politically connected and financially wealthy).

Well, at least you have a good understanding on just how crazy and unreasonable many gun laws really are. If such crazy laws were imposed on anyother segment of society there would be a rebellion.
  • Options
    Aaron.Combs1Aaron.Combs1 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    id find a new school to attend with the same course offerings. thats why I WILL NEVER LIVE IN NY,CA,MA, or any other state of the same.
    just my $.02
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    registration leads to confiscation. Find another way....
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    registration leads to confiscation. Find another way....

I feel the same as you, however being caught with an unregistered handgun in NY State is like getting caught with Heroin in Turkey.

Did you ever see the movie "Midnight Express" ?
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do NOT attempt to MAIL a handgun. Only a Dealer (01 FFL) can ship one thru the mails. You can send by UPS (Next day Air) but is pricy- see if a local dealer will ship (for a fee) to a dealer at your new home AFTER you handle NYS paperwork. It IS legal under Fed law to transport as you described (Peaceable Journey Act) but some folks in NY have trouble reading.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Rochester and work at a local university. You can not legally have any firearm on any campus in New York state unless you are police.
    If you are going to live on campus, leave the gun at home.
    Rochester is the one of the worst places in NY for pistol owners
    If the wife and I were younger we'd move now ,we're waitng till we retire due to money issues.