In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is there a ban on Civilian Automatc Rifles?

spasticsparkyspasticsparky Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
Speaking of gun control,(I don't quite know if this is true or

not yet... I am looking into it), I was at my nearest Army

Surplus Store today picking up a rifle I purchased. I asked the

owner if making my rifle fully automatic was legal. His response was

I need to have a gun dealers licence first. Then I need to get a

special licence on top of that to convert my rifle to fully

automatic. I live in Oklahoma by the way. I was shocked. Like I said

I am looking into this and will post my results, but has anyone else

heard of this absurdity? This is unfounded gun control if I find

this law to be true!!!!![V]

Comments

• Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasticsparky
    Speaking of gun control,(I don't quite know if this is true or

not yet... I am looking into it), I was at my nearest Army

Surplus Store today picking up a rifle I purchased. I asked the

owner if making my rifle fully automatic was legal. His response was

I need to have a gun dealers licence first. Then I need to get a

special licence on top of that to convert my rifle to fully

automatic. I live in Oklahoma by the way. I was shocked. Like I said

I am looking into this and will post my results, but has anyone else

heard of this absurdity? This is unfounded gun control if I find

this law to be true!!!!![V]

lol, what since 1968?
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Below is from the BATF site.
    For what it's worth.

quote:(A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

quote:(M2) How can an individual legally acquire NFA firearms?

Basically, there are 2 ways that an individual (who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from receiving or possessing firearms) may legally acquire NFA firearms:

1.By transfer after approval by ATF of a registered weapon from its lawful owner residing in the same State as the transferee.

2.By obtaining prior approval from ATF to make NFA firearms.

[27 CFR 479.62-66 and 479.84-86 ]

quote:(M16) How does an individual obtain authorization to make an NFA firearm?

Prior to making a firearm, the individual must submit ATF Form 1, Application to Make and Register a Firearm, to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch, and receive approval. The applicant must follow the procedures described in Question M15 concerning photographs, fingerprints and certifications. The applicant must forward the original and a duplicate of the form along with a check or money order for $200 made payable to the Bureau of ATF. If the application is approved, the original of the form with the cancelled stamp affixed showing approval will be returned to the applicant. If the application is denied, the tax will be refunded.

Applications to make a firearm will not be approved if Federal, State, or local law prohibits possession of the firearm.

[26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 479.61-65]

quote:(N1) May an unlicensed person make a machine gun?

Generally, no. However, if documentation can be provided, along with the Application to Make a Machinegun, which establishes that the weapon is being made for distribution to a Federal or State agency, an individual may be permitted to make the machine gun.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o)(2), 27 CFR 479.105(e)]
  • Options
    Little-AcornLittle-Acorn Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, you don't need a special license. As pickenup pointed out, you are simply banned from converting your rifle to a full-auto. Period. Unless you're going to turn it over to the cops.

Here's a terrific essay on the effects of our so-called gun control laws, economic and otherwise, written by John Ross in his book "Unintended Consequences". It explains how the laws got this way, and how silly some of the results are.

http://www.Little-Acorn.com/pdfs/nfa01.pdf

Or, if you don't have Adobe Acrobat, try this one:

http://www.Little-Acorn.com/docs/nfa01.doc

WELL documented and referenced. Long, but an excellent, easy read. Save a copy, pass it around.
  • Options
    spasticsparkyspasticsparky Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the replies. I am just ignorant to the Laws that

govern semi/automatic rifles. I am applying for Curious and Relics

Licence so I can have many. [:D] I did check out the BATF website

and it is very helpful. As far as the automatic conversion

goes,....sigh....., I guess I will have to just put that on the back

burner. And I just bought a 75 rounds drum for my AK. Say La Vee!!![;)]
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't you know??
    Automatic rifles are bad (as well as semiautomatic) because they "spray bullets" and are made to kill people.
    Bolt action rifles are bad because they are accurate and designed to kill people.
    Inexpensive handguns are bad because they don't cost very much money and are intended to kill people.
    etc.
    guns are bad. guns kill people.
    [:(!]
  • Options
    twin60stwin60s Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in my state{orygun}you can own select fire weapons and silencers. all you have to do is fill out the forms. i believe nevada is that way as well.
  • Options
    TartersauceTartersauce Member Posts: 435 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9th Circuit Court ruling, Stewart-vs-US

Convicted Felon can legally possess homemade machine guns.

Was sent to prison for possessing firearms he didn't make....which the Fed's control.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there a ban.. Yeah, I guess, but this doesn't actually affect the right to own it, it just states that if you do this and are caught, people wearing ski masks will unlawfully assault you for doing it, and probably cap your wife, who knew nothing about it, while she was nursing your newborn child in the recliner.