In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Transporting firearms

Dave9284Dave9284 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
In about a week I am taking a flight from Ohio to North Carolina. On the return flight I need to transport one handgun and one rifle with me from an inheritance. The airline has told me it just needs to be unloaded in a hard plastic or metal locked case and any ammo has to be in a separate locked case. Other than that it just has to be checked in when I get there. Is it really this simple to transport them back? I don't want to run into any issues and be questioned to death when I get back. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Depends upon the airline.

Call them back..you will get a different person..and write down exactly what they say. Get their name.

Ask them about carrying it up to the counter..are you likely to get shot by some overweight Rambo ?

I recommend you post this over to general..there may well be somebody that has done this recently.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave,
    For "most" airlines, it is that easy.
    Unloaded (duh) in a LOCKED case, ammo separate, declare it.

I would still do what Highball recommended, just to have the info handy. Especially the name.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have flown many times with shotguns,never had a problem,make sure when you buy a case it is airline approved,it will tell you on the label or case itself,just walk up and declair it,,ammo I have had problems with on 2 occasions,some airlines have a problem with what they consider an explosive,,if its just s little standard every day stuff,,trash it and buy more when you get home,,if its alot or rare hard to find stuff I would UPS the ammo home,,it does not cost that much
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave9284
    In about a week I am taking a flight from Ohio to North Carolina. On the return flight I need to transport one handgun and one rifle with me from an inheritance. The airline has told me it just needs to be unloaded in a hard plastic or metal locked case and any ammo has to be in a separate locked case. Other than that it just has to be checked in when I get there. Is it really this simple to transport them back? I don't want to run into any issues and be questioned to death when I get back. Thanks for any help.

It is that simple, but it may get lost in transit. In the old days (Pre 9-11) many folks advised to just put it in checked in baggage and leave it at that....IE: no declaration, b/c many firearms end up disappearing. I would not advise that in today's climate though.

Why not mail them to yourself???
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Go to the airlines website and print out the airlines rules on transporting firearms. Take that printout with you when you check 'em in. That way, if they give you a hard time, you can show them their own rules.

I'd also go the TSA website and print out their rules and have them also just in case.
  • Dave9284Dave9284 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't mind mailing them to myself, I was under the impression though to do that it would have to be mailed to an FFL. If I can mail them to myself I would much rather do that then deal with the possibility of them getting lost. Thanks.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The following link is from the website of Northwest Airlines. I would assume that
    most airlines are similar.

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/specialitems.html#fire
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • triple223taptriple223tap Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, it's really simple: Locked hard sided case, unloaded, ammo in original boxes, in your luggage (11 pounds max ammo). Airlines do this every day, there should be no surprises.
  • 45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have allready gone through the FFL process to get them transferred to you from the inheritence, I would mail them to myself and get them insured. I have had firearms sent to the factory and back and they go directly to me at my house. But I believe you have to Fed-X them or UPS as the post office no longer will ship a firearm.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave9284
    I wouldn't mind mailing them to myself, I was under the impression though to do that it would have to be mailed to an FFL. If I can mail them to myself I would much rather do that then deal with the possibility of them getting lost. Thanks.

It is perfectly legal to mail a firearm to yourself within the United States. You have to be the one to open the box though...no one else can open it.
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not enough to have the case locked if you fly NWA. The case must have at least 3 locks. I just went through this on a flight from Detroit to Minn. I had NWA rules with me to show the officials and they said "No way, no how. You are not flying with your rifle to Minn. If you go to the gift shop and BUY 2 more locks and place them on your guncase, then we will accept the guncase." Long, long story. I left my rifle in a car in Detroit Terminal parking lot for a week until I could make other arrangements. 3 locks!!!
  • chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fly Southwest and they are wonderful about transporting firearms. I recently flew to Texas with my carry gun. Checked it in a hard sided case. Ammo in factory boxes. I checked it all in at the counter. They counter attendent looks inside then I filled out a little card which was placed inside the case. The only disconcerting thing was that the guy yelled down to the TSA guy "Firearm!" to let him know it was coming. I walked down and waited while it was scanned and the TSA officer gave me the thumbs up. Coming back I got the same courteous professional treatment.

My coworker also only has good things to say about Southwest and firearms transport. Between the two of us we have travelled with our weapons between t 10 to 15 times I bet.

If NWA behaves that way, don't give them your business.