In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Constable & Sheriff enforce opinion as law

gnbrotzgnbrotz Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
I just found these forums, and since I didn't see mention of it here already, thought I'd post my story.

I am a PA resident. I had an encounter with a constable when I went to vote on election day. The result of that encounter was my PA LTCF (license to carry firearms) was revoked by the Sheriff, even though both the Sheriff and Constable involved can not state any illegal action on my part and I have not been charged with any crime.

There is a very long thread regarding this at PAFOA.org, as well as being mentioned on several other gun boards. Since the thread is quite lengthy, and full of additional discussion, it was suggested that a summary of events be put somewhere for easy reference without requiring pages of reading to find the pertinent info. To this end, I have published this info on my personal web space.

I'm not trolling for support or looking for criticism, though I'm sure I'll get some of both. The main reason I want this story to be known is because it is a clear example of those in authority using their position to enforce their personal opinions rather than the letter of the law, and punish those who do not comply.

Comments

• Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    What kind of BS law is this:

"(i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety."

Sounds like something out of Nineteen Eighty Four.

Anyhow, good luck, you've done and are doing a good thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    UPDATE:

My hearing date has been set. It will be on January 8, 2008 at 2 p.m. in the Franklin County Courthouse, Courtroom 1.

The external web page containing all of this info has been updated as well.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Congrads on having the courage to stand up for your rights. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ACLU should be on your side.
    Yeah, I crack me up too! Civil rights are for everyone!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.publicopiniononline.com/localnews/ci_7912802

quote:
    Revocation of Rotz' concealed weapon permit overturned by court

Franklin County Court of Common Pleas President Judge John R. Walker overturned this afternoon the revocation of a concealed weapon permit of a Chambersburg man who openly wore a handgun to vote in November.

Greg Rotz broke no laws in the Election Day incident, Walker said, before ordering the return of Rotz's permit to loud applause from the crowd of perhaps 75 onlookers.

Former Franklin County Sheriff Robert Wollyung revoked Rotz's permit after Rotz declined a suggestion from a constable at the New Franklin polling place that he leave his weapon in his vehicle while he voted.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your link doesn't seem to work.....but I like a happy ending. [:D][:D]
  • Options
    TartersauceTartersauce Member Posts: 435 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pennsylvania is a failing overtaxed Police State.

My sympathy to you and the rest in that State.

...a former Pennsyltuckian.

WTH did you people see in Rendel?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry about the broken link. The article only stays up for a limited time. The quoted text is the article in it's entirety.

I personally didn't see anything good in Rendell, which it why I voted against him. Overall, the gun laws here in PA are pretty decent. But it's a fight to improve them or keep our rights from slowly slipping away.
  • Options
    chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awesome and refreshing to hear that the system works when people work it.
  • Options
    frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey gnbrotz, I live in St.Thomas ,glad to here you won your case.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gnbrotz
    Overall, the gun laws here in PA are pretty decent. But it's a fight to improve them or keep our rights from slowly slipping away.

Considering the states we are surrounded by, Id say PA gun rights are a freaking miracle.